I sense them. Do they sense me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday, I was at the supermarket just after lunchtime, checking out with my chicken and biscuits and pomegranite juice. I noticed a very thin woman with long light brown curly hair come in through the front door, with a little girl of about 5-6. The little girl was blond, dressed in a coat, and not unkempt looking but very quiet. She was drinking a gigantic milkshake - they call it a Concrete here - which looked much too big and sweet for a child. I knew it was not milk because it had the curved clear plastic top on it, like what they serve the hot chocolate in at Starbucks to leave room for the whipped cream.

The mom was talking loudly, and they went to the movie rental machine. "Now just press Toy Story 3" said the mom. She didn't look really out of line, other than she was talking a bit too loudly. She wasn't swaying or anything, although she seemed to be talking the way I think I did sometimes after a few drinks when I was trying to appear "normal". As if by making a pointed effort to be doing normal things, I would appear normal. In fact, I was actually trying to BE normal, not just appear normal. Maybe a part of me was thinking that I was still normal.

Anyway, the little girl did not seem unhappy. Children trust their parents so. It takes a long time before they notice that something is amiss. Once they do, and we do, it is only by the grace of the gods, or some stroke of luck, that something terrible has not already happened. Thank heavens for that innocence, because in the absence of a life-threatening event it is the only thing that lets us repair damages that we have caused.

They took a long time getting the movie out of the machine, and reminding myself that I can sometimes make up things which are completely untrue, especially about strangers, I allowed my mind to focus on other things as I left the store.

I went to my car, unloaded my bags into the trunk, and went to return the shopping cart. As I came back, I saw that that woman's car was parked just next to mine. She was still talking loudly to the silent girl, getting her into the car and saying, a little too loudly, "now we are going to get some gas." I waited obediently at my car door for her to close hers, as our driver side doors were next to each other. She looked at me nervously, and I looked back at her, curiously through my sunglasses. I glanced at the front passenger seat and saw a brand new case of beer. I knew it! I knew it had to be there! That woman was setting up a day of feeding her girl a huge milkshake, big enough to keep her sucking the straw for at least an hour, and then watch a movie or two, while mama drank that case of beer! I felt a slight wave a nausea hit my stomach. She said, "are you waiting for me?" I responded, "I just thought it would be easier to open my door after you finished." I'd like to say there was more to it than that, but she then drove off towards the exit from the parking lot. Because there was traffic, I found myself behind her, and she drove out and across the intersection faster than I would normally drive, but not erratically enough to cause an accident or give rise to the police.

I believe that she sensed me, that she knew that I knew. And that made her very uncomfortable. But, perhaps I put too much emphasis on myself, and I could have been anyone. And she felt nothing at all out of the ordinary.

We sense them. Do they sense us? That is my question.
    AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

I've had that feeling. I think we're sensitized to certain hallmark behaviors, however subtle and whether we're aware of it or not, because we've lived them. Something is "off," and it's familiar.

I sometimes wonder if I see it everywhere I go now because I'm sober, but my gut tells me that's not the case. It's recognition.
    AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
    "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Gaia, I thought you were talking about ghosts! I thought the little girl was going to turn out to be supernatural :H Creeped me out!

But, yes, I think it's like noticing someone wearing the same shoes or coat - the recognition is there.
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Ya know – most of my posts are “tongue in cheek” - I deal with most things with my ordinarily dry sense of humor. I have no humor for your story. My mouth went dry as I read it. It’s been about 15 minutes since I read it and strangely I feel a little sick still. You don’t know how much I appreciate you posting that – it hit me right between the eyes and just reminded me of how things could easily be in my life. When I start to question myself of why I am denying myself something I want, I will remember this story. When I am at my favorite restaurant and I see other guest holding beer or a drink and feel sorry for myself – I will remember this story.

Generally I think it is bad to look at someone’s misery and be glad that I am not in that shape. In this case, while I sincerely wish the child and her mother are safe I am thankful to God Almighty for helping me realize my problem early, a wonderfuly supportive wife, a caring physician, and the wonderful lifeline that I consider friends on this site.

I’ll get back to my usual tasteless self on the daily AF thread. Thanks again for sharing a story that was so moving. And thanks to all here that have taken me in to be a part of your group.

ItsJustMe

Comment

Gaia,

That woman could easily have been me a few years ago. Instead of a case of beer though, it would have been 2 bottles of wine.

I can easily spot people whom I think have an alcohol problem. However, I think there are many more out there that I don't notice. These are the people who yet to have the bloated look about them, the red face and eyes, or the hands that tremble ever so slightly.

Since I've been having the renovation on my house, I have met two men who are in the advanced stages of alcoholism. One is the electrician who is probably about 40 years old. He is extremely capable and smart as a whip. But, he has that impatient, quick to anger, and sarcastic way about him that we all know so well. And, he has that slight tremble in his hand. I have made an effort to be extra kind and respectful toward him and we have established quite a nice relationship.

The other person is one of the construction guy's brothers who comes along with him from time to time. I asked Brian about him and he was quite frank and told me that he is trying to keep his brother off of the streets and that he has a drinking problem. Brian also told me that his wife and his son were killed by a drunk driver 2 years ago.

As you can see, this story was very timely for me. It is just incredible how far reaching and devastating alcoholism is.

I do think that we are more sensitive to picking up on others with drinking problems. I believe that most people still think that people with drinking problems are on the street, in the gutter, i.e., not the mom in the grocery store with her little girl.

M3
          AF Since April 20, 2008
          4 Years!!!
          :lilheart:

Comment

Good post Gaia, but saddening, I do hope the little girl is ok and I dont just mean today. In my opinion it takes one to know one and nobody truly understands unless they have been where we have walked, no matter how well intentioned their deeds may be.
            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Yes, Gaia Thanks for posting this. This was a very well-written story that is also very sad and very familiar. I fortunately didn't begin my drinking career until my children were nearly grown, but can I ever relate to looking around me wondering if anyone was on to me. Its hard to recognize all that insanity when you are in the midst of it, but looking back with sober eyes its amazing how we learned to accept that as normal living.

Its so hard to see the active pain in someone else. Just a good reminder for us to stay away from that first drink.

HG
              AF 01/30/10

Look Back & Thank God
              Look Forward & Trust God
              Look Around & Serve God
              Look Within & Find God

Comment

Wow, what a great thing to share here Gaia! I've thought about this and my first response was--oh yeah, I can spot someone with a problem a mile away. And I do notice them more, at Walmart, the convenience store yesterday where I stopped to buy gas. I remember feeling a little sad for the gentleman with the paper sack which contained the giant beer and the pack of cheap generic cigarettes. The older woman and man with their case of beer and ciggies....and the ones like the woman you describe. But do they sense us, or are they like I was feeling guilty and paranoid. Who was watching me, could they smell me, would they call the cops when I got in my car with my young children?

Yep, gives me chills too, because I was that woman. But, I am grateful that I'm not going to be that older lady too!!!!

Thanks for sharing.:thanks::l
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

ItsJustMe;1002085 wrote: Ya know ? most of my posts are ?tongue in cheek? - I deal with most things with my ordinarily dry sense of humor. I have no humor for your story. My mouth went dry as I read it. It?s been about 15 minutes since I read it and strangely I feel a little sick still. You don?t know how much I appreciate you posting that ? it hit me right between the eyes and just reminded me of how things could easily be in my life. When I start to question myself of why I am denying myself something I want, I will remember this story. When I am at my favorite restaurant and I see other guest holding beer or a drink and feel sorry for myself ? I will remember this story.

Generally I think it is bad to look at someone?s misery and be glad that I am not in that shape. In this case, while I sincerely wish the child and her mother are safe I am thankful to God Almighty for helping me realize my problem early, a wonderfuly supportive wife, a caring physician, and the wonderful lifeline that I consider friends on this site.

I?ll get back to my usual tasteless self on the daily AF thread. Thanks again for sharing a story that was so moving. And thanks to all here that have taken me in to be a part of your group.

ItsJustMe
                  I was as struck by the above comment as by the original post, because the story hit me in the same way as IJM.
                  I had a similar experience in a restaurant on Friday. I certainly am more aware of others with a drinking issue. Great post...thank you.
                  :h Mish :h
                  sigpic
                  Never give up...
                  GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                  Remaining a perpetual possibility
                  Only in a world of speculation.
                  What might have been and what has been
                  Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Working...