AF Daily-SATURDAY Nov 13!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marshy;1002819 wrote: LVT - I'm very interested in your story about your brother. My brother has behaved in a similar way over my mum's illness. He lives about THREE miles away from my parents and visited her in hospital maybe twice the whole time she was there, whereas I live 250 miles away and went to stay so I could go to nearly every visiting session, and have visited since when she's been at home and speak to her on the phone a lot. I spoke to her today and she said she hadn't heard from my brother for a couple of weeks.
    Anyway, similar stuff, except I didn't argue with him about it although I was annoyed that he didn't go to see her in hospital more.

I assumed he was being thoughtless, selfish, all that stuff (even though I DO love him to pieces) but I hadn't considered this...

Maybe some people stay away because they can't cope with the reality of the illness.

Anyway, zooming! Hello to everyone. Greenie - don't do it!
    Jeez! What is it about brothers? DG--you too??! Did I mention that mine is an alcoholic. No one in the family talks about that either. I guess because we have all gotten along so well, we just leave well enough alone. My brother is a unique individual, a funny guy and loving too. But also very self absorbed and self-involved. And absolutely the whole idea of him having to deal with someone he loves sick and in the hospital keeps him away. He was the same way when my parents were sick and when the rest of us were there with them when they passed, he managed to not be around. And, I absolutely never and still do not blame him for that. At that time he did other things for mom and dad that were less emotionally binding. When we all took turns taking care of dad, so he could stay at home, he sent his wife. Same with Terry, except when I talked to my sil the other day, even she hadn't been there for a long time.
    Could I have handled the situation better. Sure. A phone call would have been better than an e-mail, but I absolutely hate the phone. And honestly he is the one that got defensive right away, and even though I could have handled it better, I didn't totally blow it like I would have if he had answered the phone when I called. I never cussed and I did hold back some of the nasty, mean things I wanted to say to him. So I am learning to speak my feelings slowly, and to respond rather than react. Now, I just need to answer his last e-mail and put this to rest. I'm glad to have this off my chest, I feel it needed to be said, and I'm glad I stood up to him (even if it was in an e-mail.) It is just hard to understand why he can't step out of his comfort zone and support them. But, now that he knows how I feel, maybe he'll do a little more, if not, so be it. I still love him.
    And yes, I think I'll find a new accountant if I can.
    Thanks again!:h
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

:l LVT. I just always have to remember that the only one I can change is me.

Pride, I took that quiz you linked in a welcome thread and tried to answer like my last year of drinking. I thought I was pretty conservative on some answers - i.e. a answered "weekly" for some things that were probably more like "daily." I still scored a 33. :H I probably should be even more grateful than I am to be sober today. :H

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Wow, we sure laid stuff out on the table today!

Thanks for all the 2 cents. I'm just going keep my side of the street clean. There are no unforseen circumstances, acts of God, health impairments or deadlines involved in her mess.

Pride... Thank you for the link, but I'm not seeing what you're pointing to. Can you help me out there?

On siblings and family illness.... mine do the same thing. In my perception anyway. But they don't have an issue with their behavior, so why should I? I notice that we each have a unique dynamic with other family members. I wonder if this is because we are serving different purposes for each other so we play different roles. In which case we are doing what we are supposed to be doing and it doesn't need "fixing". This is difficult for me as I tend to feel like I need/should/could fix it. DG is right. The only one I can change is me.

I had an absolutely glorious day. The weather was perfect and we had a gourmet picnic and a lingering chat with Mr. Pearl, who is such a lovely person. We even went over to another town and kicked around a while on backroads and poked around in an antique sort of shop where I picked up a $2 nice red copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales. What a find!!

Now I'm working on a sweet potato soup. If it's any good I'll post the recipe. First I have to look at Lav's chicks (glad you got Max back) They are so pretty!!! Really!
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I have sweet potatoes coming out my ears so I am definitely interested in your recipe! (they are very easy to grow BTW!! And I love having a big bin of them in the garage now!)

Glad you had a wonderful magical day Greenie! Beats cleaning someone else's crap, that's for sure.

I'm watching figure skating.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I am sorely missing cable tv right now! I'm actually watching Access Hollywood. I think I've sunk to a new low!! I want my HGTV, Animal Planet and Lifetime back!! :upset:

Boring day at work. Did have to finish a teeny tiny project and I did manage to hang on MWO all day .

Lav I started the process of becoming a seller on Ebay. I have to wait a few days for my bank account to be confirmed on Paypal (it wouldn't do the online confirmation) and then I'll put up a small item that doesn't matter what I get for it as my test sale. Exciting!!

Greenie-your day sounded fabulous!! I'm glad you made the decision that was right for you. I hope you love the new old book. I think I have a copy of Grimms in some box. It will be part of a whole lot of books I want to sell on ebay or amazon after I talk to my family about it. Lots to talk to my family about during the holidays that's for sure. It's bad enough to have my stuff cluttering my space but when it's stuff from long dead relatives and no one wants it in the family, enough is enough!!
            New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Well.... ahem.... the weekend isn't over yet. But I AM sticking to my decision. Tomorrow is an artisan fair at the art musuem that local artists do every year before holidays. From jewelery to turned wooden bowls to pinestraw baskets (beautiful) to scarves, to pottery... very eclectic. But the rest of the day is up for grabs at the moment. The oyster festival, one of the parks with little doggie. Ride my bike at the river park? And at some point go to visit my dad.

The soup was not bad! But not good enough for a repeat performance. It was a smooth soup of s. pot., onion, ginger, s&p, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, coconut milk. A spooned topping that was like hash browns (cubed s. pot.) with parlsey and red pepper flakes. Cilantro might have been good. It needed sparkle or oomph or something. And it deffo wanted garlic.
              sigpic

Comment

Papmom - use this ebay fees calculator when you get started:

eBay Fees Calculator (Spring 2010 Edition) by Ryan Olbe

All these years I've been selling on ebay & didn't know about the calculator until last night - my daughter clued me in

Greenie glad you enjoyed your day, sounded great!
                A few days ago I moaned about money & I get a check in the mail today from the mortgage company for almost $5000 & they lowered the monthly payments. Many thanks to the escrow gods

DG, are you still peeling onions? Need any help? Need any Lavan-ittude?

Well, Maxie is on the floor right next to me.......I have to remember to step around her & not trip over her massive form :H I'm grateful she's back!
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Well, a soup without garlic is totally not soup, is it. Deter?

Will keep eating my sweet potatoes nuked with cinnamon until a queen worthy, taste tested soup recipe with garlic is presented. That is all.

P3, you can have my cable. Do you have Netflix? There is so much on-demand. We need to seriously think about cancelling our cable.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I vote for the doggie park. Wish there was one near us. I bet Deter could help you tweak that recipe!! The artisian fair sounds fab!! Have fun!!

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

GAWD LAV!!!! Talk about manifesting money!! Holy Shit!
                      sigpic

Comment

DG, I did see a chili lime roasted sweet tater recipe that sounded tasty. I'm going to try to find it. Oh yes, and there was cinnamon in the soup.
                        sigpic

Comment

X post DG and Lav!!

Thank you for the calculator link Lav. DG-no I don't have netflix. I'll have to check it out. It's online now not mail order?

KO the Beast!!

Comment

OK - I don't get all the technology stuff but my daughter & her husband are getting some TV shows through their Playstation?? & also Netflix. Don't know how it works but they're happy not paying for cable.

Did pretty good with the money - huh Greenie
                            Damn, I am grateful!!!!!!

Papmom - my birds are called Buff Orpingtons. They are very nice looking birds & show well at shows.
                            We had a rooster from our very first batch who was absolutely perfect looking but had to get rid of him because he was such a SOB:H:H
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

X-post Lav - that ROCKS on the money!!!! I'm sure that is a real blessing considering the ??? in life at the moment.

papmom3;1003200 wrote:
                              DG-no I don't have netflix. I'll have to check it out. It's online now not mail order?
                              It's on-line AND mail. Some movies / TV programs are available in DVD and "instant view" and some are just DVD. The package we have includes as much "instant view" as we can muster, and 3 DVD's out at any given time. If we had less DVD's, it would not break our hearts or viewing habits. They have a variety of packages - or at least that was the case when we signed up. We pay $16 a month although I'm guessing we could probably spend less than that and still have plenty of viewing. WAAAAY cheaper than our cable bill, even without any movie channels!

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Lav that's awesome about the money!! How did your escrow payments go down so much? Mine keep going up up up!!

I'll check out netflix but I can't really afford any monthly payments at this point. Now if Lav's mortgage co. wants to talk to mine......

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Working...
                                X