Book Discussion - Big Book of AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all. In the weekly AA thread, we talked about some interest in reading and discussing the Big Book together. The group conscience seems to be that we will take it a few pages at a time, and give everyone a day or two to share their thoughts before we move on. This is the first time I've been involved in this sort of discussion of a book on-line, so I'm thinking we will probably want to tweak things as we go. One of the things I love most about the Big Book is that the minute I start thinking it's "dated material," along comes something that lets me know alcoholism hasn't changed in the years since this book was first published.

All are welcome to participate. One does not need to be a member of AA or know anything about AA. If you are interested, jump in. Is the 4th (current) edition what everyone wants to go by? Here is a link to the Big Book on-line for those who want to follow along but don't have the hard copy. Big Book On Line

How about we start with the Preface? I think I've always skipped that. Pages xi and xii.

All on board?

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

I think I would like to try this DG. I've never been a part of any type of book discussion before but I've been meaning to start working my way through this book. Looking forward to it!!
    New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

I'm in, and I'll start reading.... Thanks DG!
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Sounds interesting...I'm in!
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

thanks for the link! i'm in.
          i read the preface and the 4th edition preface since that's the one we will be reading.
          seems to be an explaination of the changes and updates. alot of "stuff" from the original is still in there.

Comment

What jumps out at me upon reading this tonight is toward the end - the comment about the purpose of the personal stories.

If you have a drinking problem, we hope that you may pause in reading one of the forty-two personal stories and think: "Yes, that happened to me"; or more important, "Yes, I've felt like that"; or, most important, "Yes, I believe this program can work for me too."
            The fellowship - one person relating to and understanding another took multiple forms for AA once this book was published. The face to face meetings, and the book. (and now on-line AA meetings which I have never attended, but I know some here have). A lot like MWO with a book describing RJ's experiences (which many of us decided we could relate to) and a forum where we connect on-line.

Sometimes I think about the lonliness and isolation and desparation I felt in the depths of my active alcoholism - before I had ever sought help or found anyone I could relate to. I can't imagine being in that place, but not having any place to go. No book, no meeting, no forum. Just doctors and asylums where people who had never experienced alcoholism first hand tried to treat it. And we think the success rates for treatment are bad today!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

yep dg, that seems to be the main point of the intro.
              i was on a long walk with my beagles tonite and feeling very grateful and thankful to have you folks to talk to. as you know i am very isolated (geographically) and there aren't any aa meetings within 50 miles. you are my lifeline and i am not going to take that for granted ever again.

i just might plow throught he whole book tonight!

Comment

great place to start DG!! I'm looking forward reading all of it but esp. the stories. It made me feel comfortable to know that the book has kept up with the times while preserving the history and beginnings.
                New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Preface pp.xi & xii - my take:

What stands out for me is, even though stories have been added or deleted to better reflect the current membership, you never know in which one you're going to see yourself, or something you can personally relate to. I always find it interesting that someone who lived many decades before I did went through a very similar experience.

I guess some things never change - the creative "reasons" we come up with for drinking, and attempted ways around problematic drinking, like switching from one type to another (as if!). I always laugh that I was not so original after all - some clever guy in the 1930s thought of the exact same thing.

To me this reinforces the relevance. Sometimes the language may be archaic, or the sayings seem a little hokey, but looking at the big picture, nothing else has changed that much as far as alcoholics. What worked then, can still work today - it's worth a try anyway!
                  ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Thanks DG for getting this started!! When I'm too tired to go to a meeting this is wonderful

re: BB pgs xi and xii If the fact that 19 million copies of the big book were in circulation in 1976 isn't proof that this book and the AA program works, I don't know what is. In my big book meeting.. we read one of the personal stories 1 meeting a month. Even with the time period difference, the similarities are startling at times., that certainly convinced me when I was waffling that I am alcoholic.
                    May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Hi, I hope it is ok if I join this thread. I have read the Big Book many times, cover to cover, and do not find it dated, just a group of people with drinking problems that are ruining their lives. The stories of how they changed their lives are so inspiring. I have an older copy of the book, but will check out the one online.

DG, thanks for all your time and energy in helping others. You are so helpful o so many. Just wanted you to know how appreciated you are, and your firmness in your sobriety helps me when I feel weak. I am excited to start this BB online thread.
                      Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

hi dog woman and others who come,interesting thread,when i open my big book ,2nd page,theres a hole lot of names beside the words Alchoholics Anonymous,these names were names of people i met in treatment,2008,i always wonder how many survived,the success rate is maybe 20 percent,the preface is interesting,people that ive met thro the AA program said the message is in the 1st 164 pages,to read it over and over again,the stories were much the same,Addiction will kill you in the end,ive researched this book up the ying yang for years,it is much like religion,sports and many other things,the message is clear,if you dont learn how to use it,you will lose it,eventually,my thots,anyone can stop drinking or drugging,its staying stopped,again great thread, gyco.

Comment

Just wanted to add a quick welcome to all who are interested in reading and discussing the Big Book here. Whether one likes / agrees with AA or not, there is not much doubt that AA has saved many lives over the years, and that Bill W and Dr. Bob are two people who "made a difference" in this world of ours. As part of the recent community leadership school I attended, we heard a motivational speaker who is retired from year of coaching at one of the local universities. He spoke of those individuals who come along who make a major difference - for better OR for worse. As he was naming some names that anyone would recognize, I thought of Bill W and Dr. Bob.

I think it was the 20 millionth copy of the 4th edition of the Big Book that was given out at the 75th anniversary international convention this summer.

Would like to give things a bit of time for some of the regulars on the AA thread to find us here and share, and then we can move on. If anyone has suggestions about our format, please speak up!

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Everyone: I couldn't get on-line yesterday & was delighted to see this thread. I just read the assigned pages. I have been at meetings where some younger women objected to the masculine point of view (i.e. that the alcoholic is the man of the family, the wive is the all-suffering woman waiting it out at home). I personally don't have a problem w/that. Yes, there are times when the language seems a little hokey, but for the most part, it all works for me. I'm reading the 3rd edition which have stories of people who haven't completely lost every single thing they have. He mentions this on the pages we just read. Yes, I'm an alcoholic, but I didn't have to go through quite the hell that Bill W. went through. In the later editions, I think the idea that all kinds of alcoholics could identify w/the stories.

Thank you so much DG for starting this thread. I really like it. For the newcomers, please feel free to read & share.

Mary

Peacenik: Can you start a meeting? Remember a meeting can be just 2 people talking about the principles of the program. I'm sure the AA website can offer instructions on how to start. The face-to-face meetings are really awesome. There was a time last summer when we had an AA picnic & wanted to have a spontaneous meeting. We didn't have our notebook w/the preamble available & just ended up just putting a preamble together from memory & picking a topic.
                            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

thanks mary, i'm not quite comfortable with starting a group, yet. maybe after this exercise, i'll feel a little more capable.

i look forward to learning here for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X