Book Discussion - Big Book of AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doggygirl;1003797 wrote: I came to MWO when I first decided I needed help to stop drinking - not AA. In looking back, I would describe my TRUE feelings as being a desire to stop drinking, of sorts. With a bit of a hint of a secret or not so secret desire to be able to control my drinking someday. I did NOT really have a 100% honest desire to stop drinking. Maybe a 90 % desire or so.

IDG
    Gosh DG. If I am honest here, you have written my thoughts perfectly. I think I have a 90% desire to stop drinking and still hope that I could possibly moderate eventuelly. I guess I am still in denial. Looks like I will be working on Step one for a very very long time.
    Be strong-
    We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
    Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Hi everyone. rebirth, do not despair. Keep looking at the raw truth about how it really is when you drink.

I love everyone's comments. I too find it interesting to look at what I highlighted on earlier readings, and what jumps out at me now. Another line I like in the forward to the first edition is "We simply wish to be helpful to those who are afflicted." When I read that line slowly a couple of times, it made me think about some people I have come across in AA that I may not particularly like or agree with all the time. But one thing I can say for sure is that there is a sincere desire to help others on the part of the people I have met in AA. I'm sure there is a bad apple in the bunch here and there - that's just people and life. But on whole, the people I have met are working sincerely to help others the best way they know how. I guess that's a value I aspire to - a spiritual quality that I would like to have myself instead of the selfish whiner drama queen that I was in the later years of my active alcholism.

Are we ready to move on to the Forward to the Second Edition? Pages xv to xxi. It's still amazing to me to imagine the early days of AA and how it all took hold and now there are millions of AA members all over the world. Getting sober and staying sober together. With a sincere desire to help each other. I know that the MWO forum is a mini of that in some ways.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

definitely dg...i want to help others and i need others help. i'm so grateful for this place!

i'm ready to move on to the 2nd edition forward, if everyone else is! will be back later to do just that.

Comment

Comments on the forward to the second edition:

I find the history facinating. There are so many great lines in this reading. One of my favorites:

This seemed to prove that one alcholic could affect another as no nonalcoholic could.
          I sure think MWO is an example of this concept as well. We share experiences that nonalkies just can't relate to.

I also like the foundation to th 12 Traditions. For those reading this thread who are not very familiar with AA, the 12 Traditions are what guide the organization as a whole. It's pretty amazing that such a short list provides all the guidance needed for a world wide concern that has survived 75 years.

It was thought that no alcoholic man or woman could be excluded from our Society; that our leaders might serve but never govern; that each group was to be autononous and there was to be no professional class of therapy. There were to be no fees or dues; our expenses were to be met by our own voluntary contributions. There was to be the least possible organization, even in our service centers. Our public relations were to be based on attraction rather than promotion. It was decided that all members ought to be anonymous at the level of press, radio, TV and films. And in no circumstances should we give endorsements, make alliances, or enter public controversies.
          The summary of the traditions. Simple and complete.

What did the rest of you think about this section?

I am going out of town for the weekend and will not have computer access once I leave. I hope someone will volunteer to kick off the next section once people have posted about this one. I can catch up when I get back from Soberfest.

Enjoy!

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I am struck by how fast AA grew after it started in 1935. In only 16 years, the organization was humongous!! And in other countries!! I'm also struck by how I think of the different decades that passed. To me, the 1930's are almost prehistoric. I can't even imagine what life was like back then. But 1955 is very imaginable because I spent my young childhood in the 50's. I know I'm not saying this very well. I'm just amazed at the history of this organization!!
            Safe travels DG!! We'll look forward to hearing all about the conference!
            New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

DG, I would hazard a guess that the Traditions are as important to the success of AA as are the Steps. Bill at one time was offered a lot of money to partner up an association and attach the AA name to it - but after a lot of soul-searching (and input from the original members) he turned it down. Why? Because I think he realized that the heart and soul of AA was anonymity (at all levels), and that it was one of the key ways that newcomers who were still suffering could find common ground with current members. Everyone is an equal in the eyes of AA..
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

To me, I'm in awe of the foresight the founders of AA had. They realized that when you create a bureaucracy, you then create a power struggle. I'm sure there was discussion & dissention, but now we have an organization (& I use that word loosely) for which there is no equal. I also love that the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking. I won't graduate from AA for get kicked out for some reason. It's genius in my opinion. Mary
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Just wanted to say what a great thread this is, I will start on monday and see what page where all on and hopefully get back and put some of my own input...maybe they have got a AA big book at the library .
                  Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                  sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                  my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

I read somewhere that Bill's last quote about AA before he died (per his wife Lois) was that he felt the most important aspect of AA was the anonymity! I totally agree, without that aspect very few Alcoholics would keep coming back.
                    May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

catch22;1007050 wrote: ...maybe they have got a AA big book at the library .
                      Catch22, it's also available online...

Big Book On Line
                      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Thanks AA, I have my little book with me today.
                        What interested me on page x11 and stands out for me is,
                        how the oxford group they were a very religious group was it part of there idea about the moral inventory to do with the 6steps ??
                        Also it so true that to save one self you must pass the message to another alcoholic, which i have done already in my library funny enought..... Where i feel it right to, then i do, otherwise if i feel they dont want it, i cant do no more...
                        Anonymous, i so agree with that one, After my first AA meeting, got home had to get ready for work, and in work i could not believe i saw the guy that took the meeting with another person from AA i was ducking and diving not to get no eye to eye contacted at all, i really thought that they followed me home and followed me to work that how parnoid i was, still can be, but now i feel like am in the Free masons group how is that...
                        sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                        my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

I am very sad right now just trying to accept that Step Coach is really gone. He was so filled with love and compassion and he devoted so much of his life to sharing the message of hope and recovery with others. I can think of no better way to honor him in this moment than to carry on with reading and sharing from the Big Book. We just never know when something we say might resonate with another alcoholic who is struggling.

I remember a meeting where I admitted my struggle with the whole idea of a Higher Power. I was having trouble letting go of the concept of God that was drilled into me as a child. When it was Step Coach's turn to share, he talked about when he first came to AA...
                          ....carrying 2 guns and a death wish. Alcohol was my god. I worshipped alcohol every day. Somebody told me "hey dummy - you better change your god or you're gonna die!" So I did change my god to the G.O.D. The Good Old Drunks around the table who stayed sober together one day at a time. I figured if I did what they did I could get what they got - another day of contented sobriety.
                          That was a break through moment for me. I realized that my behavior WAS like worshiping alcohol. I could see where I needed to find something more positive to believe in and think about every day. It was a moment that I came to believe in a power greater than myself. A power that had nothing to do with what I mistrusted as a child. A power in a fellowship that was there before me and that will be there after me. A power that I can choose to tap into whenever I need it. A power that helps me stay sober one day at a time. A power that is made up of all of us and our collective energy.

Thank you for letting me share.

Are we ready for the Forward to the Third Edition? Page xxii. I love the historic perspective. 1976 was the year I graduated from High School, my drinking just getting underway in earnest. The female membership in AA was growing rapidly at this time. I don't think that was because more women were drinking. I suspect this was because more women were reaching out for recovery. Whatever the situation, I'm grateful for the women in AA today. My very favorite line is the last one. It brought me to tears today - I'm sure in memory of Step Coach. Each day, somewhere in the world, recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic, sharing experience, strength and hope.
                          Thank you for being here for me today. I love that we can "talk" to someone 24X7 here at MWO. And we can listen 24X7 too. We don't have to talk and listen at the same time. I guess that is the unique quality of a discussion forum.

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Dearest DG-I am so sorry for your loss and for Step Coach's family's loss. He obviously had a tremendous impact and influence on you and helped to shape you into the person you are today. For that, we are all very very thankful. During our Thanksgiving Dinner blessing today, I will say a prayer for Step Coach and his family, and all who have passed before us in this battle. They were all brave warriors and so are we. God Bless.

:h :l Pam

New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Got to say DG that is so true, that when one AL talks to another thats when recovery begins and it did for me on mwo, going group sessions and AAmeetings and i know that i would have to keep having face to face contact in my recovery...and it so true we can talk and listen at the same time on mwo
                              Hope you dont mind me going to the next page, because what stands out for me i
                              WE are people who normally would not mix.
                              I have highlighted this out because i never felt comfortable in my own skin as a child. but also when i was a child my dad would not want no allow us to have no friends around the house, plus i was shame of our the my home looked, he also knocked a lot of confidence out of me, ( not going into deltails) so i was very scared to talk in school or make friends. I can remember my last year in primary school i was in the office with my mum and the headteacher saying that i have to go to a special school because i was not communicating with the other children tears just was rolling down my face, in the end i when to the school of my choice and thank god the school said they would take me on

So what im trying to say is once i started drinking it give me confidence to mix with other people, the drink just made me feel so relax and easy for me to talk and mix. Today AA has given me the courage now to shared in front of a crown of poeple in a room, i still cant beleive it !

Comment

Hi All: Speaking for myself as a female alcoholic, I know the difficulty I had in admitting my powerlessness over alcohol. I still see many, many more men at meetings than women. Also, women my age were taught to be ladylike, & drinking to drunkeness is unladylike indeed. I'm so glad I was able to shake off the "keep quiet" message I got from childhood & speak up about my problem. Mary
                                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                                October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X