Got Mojo??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Mojo??

We've had many discussions about "mojo" in the monthly abs section and as many of you well know, I have been suffering some serious challenges to my mojo lateley. I am currently reading a fabulous book called "Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, and How to Get It Back When You Need It" by Marshall Goldsmith.

Goldsmith defines "mojo" as:

That positive spirit
    toward what we are doing
    now
    that starts from the inside
    and radiates from the outside

To look at the mojo in your life (or lack thereo), he proposes that you evaluate the activities that make up your day and ask two questions:

1: How much long-term benefit or meaning did I experience from this activity?
    2. How much short-term satisfaction or happiness
    did I experience in this activity?

Wow, I have been thinking about these two questions as I go through my day and it has made a big difference in terms of the choices I have been making.

How's your mojo?

M3
    AF Since April 20, 2008
    4 Years!!!
    :lilheart:

Got Mojo??

Hiya Ma3!

Thank's for that excerpt, and the book sounds like a good one to have around for a 'rainy' day.

My mojo is good at the mo', but a bit of room for improvement. However, i'm not lost, and i know where it is within, and how to re-ignite, or stoke the mojo fire if needed. Making music is one sure way for me if all seems lost. My sobriety is another major key. Loving and respecting myself, instead of abusing my brilliant self with alcohol. Fruit and veg, and moving/shaking yer ass regularly, is important too.

Have a great weekend beautiful woman.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Got Mojo??

Guitarista, you have the key, i.e., knowing how to stoke your mojo fire by doing that which gives you great joy and keeps you in the present moment.

Unfortunately, I sometimes lose myself (in my children, my work) and get far away from those things that nurture me and bring meaning in my life. The author talks about this in the book. He calls it the mojo paradox: "Our default response in life is not to experience happiness; our default response in life is not to experience meaning; our default response in life is to experience inertia."

Sounds like I may need some mojo coaching from you
      :guitar1:
      M3
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!

Comment

Got Mojo??

momof3;1011817 wrote: Guitarista, you have the key, i.e., knowing how to stoke your mojo fire by doing that which gives you great joy and keeps you in the present moment.

Unfortunately, I sometimes lose myself (in my children, my work) and get far away from those things that nurture me and bring meaning in my life. The author talks about this in the book. He calls it the mojo paradox: "Our default response in life is not to experience happiness; our default response in life is not to experience meaning; our default response in life is to experience inertia."

Sounds like I may need some mojo coaching from you
        :guitar1:
        M3
        I notice when i've been really flat out like a lizard drinking (busy), like 2 job's in the past, and study at night, it was a path i needed to be on at the time, but i sure wasn't getting the spiritual, or mojo nourishment/outlet/expression that i knew i'd neglected. It was very obvious to me that was missing, and i needed to address the inbalance. It can be frustrating when we are so busy. I suppose we just have to be a little more ruthless with our time to fit in some 'me' time, and nurture our own growth and being. I think a good start if we're very busy might be taking 15 minutes out of the day somewhere to begin with. For me, even if i were to strum my guitar for 15 minutes a day when i was doing 2 jobs and study, (i didn't often enough, but tried) would be a step in the 'stoking my mojo' direction. Easy for me to say now that my work schedule is lighter.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Got Mojo??

M3, this sounds like a very interesting book. I have enjoyed reading G and your comments about it. I like the 2 questions. My mojo has been decent lately (especially compared to the "old days"). But the questions got me thinking about a couple of areas of life where I probably need to cut my losses and stop spending time there.

My reading list continues to grow thanks to my friends here at MWO!

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Got Mojo??

My mojo has been constantly moving forward & up and since becoming alcohol free i havent had any serious or major setbacks, maybe i am lucky but i do work for it and always have plans to work for & to improve my life & those close to me.must get that book. :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Got Mojo??

Thanks for posting this M3! I will definitely put this book on my list.
              You can probably guess I've been in a tailspin these past 7 months since YB blew out of here. His action seriously messed up the forward motion I started nearly 2 years ago. I am determined to put myself back on track
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Got Mojo??

I had the same reaction as many of you. Alcohol is a major mojo killer. It doesn't contribute to short-term happiness or long term meaning. He talks about the behaviors are the opposite of "mojo"

play the victim
                march in place
                tolerate requirements
                endure it
                painful to be around
                resentful
                zombie-like
                asleep

Sounds like a description of someone who is in the midst of the disease of alcoholism, doesn't it?
                AF Since April 20, 2008
                4 Years!!!

Comment

Got Mojo??

Hi M3,

I like your thread! I was reading this over and over:

1: How much long-term benefit or meaning did I experience from this activity?
                  2. How much short-term satisfaction or happiness did I experience in this activity?

and wondering what the heck it means? LOL. With myself, really.

So what is he saying? Is one better than the other? Is either ok?

Sorry to be obtuse...

Like, um, exercise does both. So that's good?

Flossing my teeth does #1 but not #2. Playing the piano gives me #2 not #1 (because I stink).

but if something gives you #2 but not #1, is it still a good thing?

Sorry to over-analyze.
                  AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

Got Mojo??

I think it means that if most of the activities in your day don't achieve #1 and/or #2, your mojo is at risk
                    AF Since April 20, 2008
                    4 Years!!!

Comment

Got Mojo??

Stoking the mojo fire is something I am always working on. I've got to improve my ability to stay away from damp firewood.
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Got Mojo??

greeneyes;1013349 wrote: Stoking the mojo fire is something I am always working on. I've got to improve my ability to stay away from damp firewood.
                        Nice to see you Greenie.

Comment

Got Mojo??

Good one Greenie
                          AF Since April 20, 2008
                          4 Years!!!

Comment

Got Mojo??

Thanks for starting this thread Mom3, I'm going to have a look at the book also. My mojo ebbs and flows it seems. I do notice when I volunteer or do nice things for others I feel better about myself and it lifts my spirits. I have also had to make a conscious effort (like G) to spend some time every morning quietly alone with a candle, sometimes music and some devotions and prayer. :l
                            I think with our busy, stress filled lives, it's easy to lose track of our mojo. The worries that come with being a parent don't help either. I agree that exercise helps a great deal, something I really need to get back to.

I'm not sure if this belongs on this subject, but I think I'm going to get some Vitamin D supplements. I find I'm way more lethargic and unmotivated in the winter.

:thanks::thanks::l
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Got Mojo??

Damp firewood is a real drag. Agreed.

I read this morning that it does us no good to take vit D and calcium. Can cause kidney stones.

Geez when will we get it all right!
                              AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

Working...
                              X