Weekly AA Thread Dec. 6 thru Dec. 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone - I'm new to this thread and started it to post about my first AA meeting. Looks like the threads go through Monday thru Sunday. Hope it's ok that I started it a day early so I could post before I forgot what I wanted to say. I also posted this on another thread where a couple people asked me to tell them about my experience.

My meeting was an unbelievably pleasant surprise. It's funny, I really thought I would just stick with MWO, but I haven't been able to get AA out of my mind. I kept putting it off because I didn't want to deal with the religious part of it. But, by the same token, I think lacking a spiritual component to one's life really fuels alcoholism. I'm going to eventually read a book called the Tao of Sobriety because I think it addresses this exact subjet. My problem with religion is that I don't think anyone has the truth with a capital T. I know AA was founded on Christian principals, and while I think we should all be able to choose how we worship/what we believe in, I was reluctant to go to AA because it's based on a religion that thinks it has the truth with a capital T.

Sorry, to have gone on a diatribe, but I'm trying to give some background into my thinking and how it relates to AA.

NOW, having said all that, I decided to go anyway. I read something by someone in AA (I think it was Bugz) and he talked about just sort of biting the bullet and getting over that and going to AA anyway because he had gotten the benefit of making friends with sober people. THAT'S really what clicked for me. That, regardless of everything else, AA would help me be face to face with others who understood alcoholism and were working to stay sober. Doggygirl's posts also have made me see AA differently and want to try it.

I'm adding a bit more here because it's the AA Thread:

The meeting I went to was all women, and I immediately felt a bond. I got two chips which made me feel wonderful. And, I loved the way they passed the chips around and everyone held them - it felt like they were giving me unconditional love. It made me want to cry and still does. I felt like something transcendent was going on there - a true gift.

So, thank you DG for all of you wonderful posts that inspired me to try this. I think it's going to be a huge part of my recovery - that is real recovery, not just abstaining from drinking alcohol, but the true gratitude of loving my sober life.:l

Choochie

Hi Choochie,
    So glad you're giving AA a try. I started almost 4 months ago, and I can say that I'm living life, not just existing, not struggling, but gaining so much.

I see AA not as religion, but as a very spirtual program. I've learned and felt the difference in religion vs. spirituality. I hope that you continue and begin to see the benefits, love, and healing that AA and working the 12 steps provides to the recovering alcoholic. Good luck!
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

It's day 5 for me and I think I'll give AA a try....

Don

Comment

Thanks for this insight JVo. I love the feeling that I'm about to embark upon a new phase of my life, especially regarding spirituality. I think this group is going to be a really positive force in my life. Chief, I hope you have a good experience with it. Will look forward to hearing from you. Excellent on getting to Day 5.

xx,
        Choochie

Comment

Choochie, I've read "The Tao of Sobriety" among other books. I get something from all of them I have been attending AA for about 15 months. There is nothing religious about it, in my opinion. Spiritual, you bet!
          There are several of us here that were Anti-AA in a big way. For me, I was rejecting something that I knew nothing about. If you enjoy reading, try the book Undrunk, a skeptics guide to AA,
          Amazon.com: Undrunk: A Skeptic's Guide to AA (9781592857203): A.J. Adams: Books
          Sorry I'm not good at inserting links.
          Love and Peace,
          Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

CPN, thanks so much for the book suggestion and your insight into AA. I really believe it's going to be a profound step in my being able to stay sober long term. There was a woman in my class who was 26 years sober and she still attends meetings. From what I could tell, the people there were amazing.

Comment

I read "Undrunk" and it helped with the AA concepts, misconceptions, and the AA language. Good book!Hi Chief, didn't you go to AA at one point?
              I also have the Tao of Sobriety in my library (in the attic) and I should get that back out. Is it an AA related book - can't remember. When I bought it I wasn't anywhere near attending AA but trying other strategies. Not that I don't read non-related AA lit. I'll read mostly anything!
              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Choochie,
                It's attending meetings, working the steps, praying to your HP, working and connecting with other alcoholics that keeps people sober. My sponsor is 16 years sober. As a matter of fact, there are so many people in my home group with many, many years of sobriety.

Comment

j-vo;1017610 wrote: I read "Undrunk" and it helped with the AA concepts, misconceptions, and the AA language. Good book!Hi Chief, didn't you go to AA at one point?
                  I also have the Tao of Sobriety in my library (in the attic) and I should get that back out. Is it an AA related book - can't remember. When I bought it I wasn't anywhere near attending AA but trying other strategies. Not that I don't read non-related AA lit. I'll read mostly anything!
                  J - I think the Tao of Sobriety is about how we're really trying to fill a spiritual void with alcohol.

Comment

Hi Choochie! So glad you decided to share about your first AA meeting. I really find the fellowship to be amazing. A friend and I went to a speaker meeting this morning and heard from two women very different from each other, and very different from me in so many ways. But we all have one thing in common and somehow, that connects us.

Since Christianity is such a predominent religion in the US, a high % of people going to AA have a spiritual foundation that began in Christianity. (as did the AA founders) After listening to people talk about their concept of a higher power in quite a lot of meetings up to this point, I concur with Phil that AA is NOT a religious program. LOL - the Mission where I do volunteer work IS a Christian program and it's night and day.

One of the speakers today was a woman who was sexually molested by many men in her family when she was very young. She was "passed around." She went on to lead a life of sexual promiscuity and drug and alcohol abuse. She did not believe she was worth loving. She had 11 children - 5 of them were born already addicted. Somehow, through AA, she is not only clean and sober but she has found a way to live with herself, forgive herself, and build a new foundation for her life, and learn to love herself and those around her. She now lovingly shares her gift of sobriety with many other people. If she can clear the wreckage of her past and learn to love herself, then there is hope for all of us.

Looks like I might be speaking in January at a monthly open AA/Alanon/Alateen meeting. That will be an honor.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Oops - forgot a couple of things! Chief, can't hurt to give AA a try. What have you got to lose? Congrats on Day 5. It is fabulous to have you back on the wagon with us again. We need your :b&d:

I second Phil's motion about the book Undrunk. I too think it explains a lot about AA that seems VERY foreign at first.

And from the other thread, j-vo, your post about going to a speaker meeting with your new friends, and then out for a bite after really made me smile. Who knew that something as simple as going to a meeting with a girlfriend could feel so special. I enjoyed that same experience this morning going to the speaker meeting with an AA girlfriend. It feels nice.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG - how cool that you're going to speak. Will you just share your experience regarding how you came to be alcoholic and found AA? Or, do you have some other topic you'll speak about - still trying to figure out exactly how AA works.

Comment

Choochie,
                          At speaker meetings, the person will talk about what it was like for them during their active alcoholism, what happened to them and how they found and realized they needed sobriety to live, and what it's like now for them in recovery. Sorry to cut in DG!

Comment

Oh, how cool to be asked to speak in January! congrats!
                            What a story DG. Wow. I can't even imagine the horrors she must have faced daily. I need to remind myself all of the time, when the going gets rough, turn it over to God.

Comment

Thanks jvo.

xx,
                              Choochie

Comment

Working...
                              X