Weekly AA Thread Dec. 6 thru Dec. 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary, do you have any other advice for those of us just starting AA? I would like to have a good experience and avoid pitfalls if possible.

xx,
    Choochie

Comment

I'm really glad I've been reading this thread, as well as the Daily AF. I love Daily AF, which covers many "daily" things we each go through, but I like the topic of AA combined with this website and on this thread.
      Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, the time slots for AA are very few and far between. There are 6:30am and 8:00am meetings (when I am getting the kids ready for school), Noon meetings (when I am getting two of my kids from school), 5:30 and 7p meetings (when I have all 3 kids, with Dad still at work) and then 8p and 10p, when I am pretty much done for the day and either ready for bed or in bed. I am going to try to attend during the 3 days a week that my husband is home from work, permitting I am not out of town on work. I'm sure many of you are reading this, thinking, "There's another alcoholic, coming up with excuses as to why she can't attend AA Meetings, when she needs to make it a priority!". And maybe as an alcoholic with a VERY short amount of sobriety time under my belt, I am coming up with excuses. But as I said before, I am not discouraged about actually going to them. And I'm glad to hear the posts about not rushing into getting a sponsor. But after seeing what working the steps did for my husband last year (before he went back to his old habits), I am really looking forward to getting a sponsor and working the steps. He made TREMENDOUS strides through working the 4th step. I will get the same opportunity, it'll just take a lil patience.
      Okay, I've rambled enough. I MUST get going and get out the door.
      Happy Sobriety to everyone!
      "Today's Test Is Tomorrow's Testimony"

Comment

Chooch: I haven't encountered too many pitfalls. I'm learning that everything that happens is supposed to happen & is there to teach me something. That said: I've seen some bizarre happenings at meetings. People going on too long, drunk people, people starting fights, people who are less than encouraging, people who are negative about AA, etc. However, there is so much positive that it more than cancels out the negative. Keep going to meetings, keep trying to connect, be patient w/yourself...good things will happen. At this point, I'm finding that AA is less about not drinking & more about living in the fellowship. You're doing great! Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

"It's more about living the fellowship and less about drinking" - well said Mary. And yes, at discussion meetings, sometimes people go off on a tangent and speak about their current personal problems instead of the topic. I try to stick to the topic and be concise so everyone gets their turn. Sometimes I just "pass" and listen and learn.

Good on your 10 days mylife!

Go Away Cabernet - seeing your husband go through the beginning steps is evidence it works. That has to be encouraging for you. And I completely understand about scheduling difficulties. Did you check out the Big Book thread?

Have a great night.
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Greetings everyone, speaking of AA meetings, I picked up my 1 year chip today. Yes, I feel pretty good about it. Thanks to you all here for your support.
            Love and Peace,
            Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

I'm glad it's more about the fellowship - that's really what I need - just to be around others who understand addiction who are sober!! CPN - congrats on your 1 year chip. How admirable!! Can't wait to be where you are.

Comment

Congratulations Phil!!!!! Whoo-hoo!!!!!!!
                ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Congratulations on your one year Chip! Did you tell your story of how at the meeting?? I love hearing those stories -- so inspirational! Good job, and here's to another year!

Comment

Congratulations Phil!!!

Comment

Congratulations on your one year chip Phil! Awesome.
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Phil: Great job! Did you get it at your regular meeting? Who presented it to you? I absolutely love the anniversary meetings, & there is nothing in the world like a one year medallion. I'm going to present a 4 year medallion to my friend in program on Sat. I'm really looking forward to it. You've really been so steady in spite of all the travelling. You've found meetings wherever you go. You've done all the right things, & now your reward is a whole year of sobriety. It couldn't be better even w/all the difficulties & losses you've had in 2010. You've done something very big. Love, Mary
                        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

Well done Phil on one year soberity ! they say it is a gift in AA,
                          And it is so true.

Catch22
                          Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                          sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                          my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Chief;1017477 wrote: It's day 5 for me and I think I'll give AA a try....

Don
                            Just quickly reading back and seen your post Don, please let us know how your first AA meeting went, i can remember my first one and i didn't go back til 3years later,( maybe i was not ready then)
                            But Iam so glad i give it a second chance round, and i kept coming back. i really thought that i will only be there for only a few months and that would be it, but i realize, i needed it more then ever.
                            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

:good::good::good:

Way to go Phil!!!

Always enjoy your input on this thread. I like how you always put AA as a priority on your travels.

About this time last year, you recommended the book "Undrunk" to me. I am so very grateful for that advice. Read the book, started AA, and have been sober so far since.

Congrats on your year.

HG
                              AF 01/30/10

Look Back & Thank God
                              Look Forward & Trust God
                              Look Around & Serve God
                              Look Within & Find God

Comment

That's great Horsegirl! Almost at your one year. How long have you been in AA? How has your experience been? I'm in it for almost 4 months and it's been the most positive thing in my life. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                X