Discovering Yourself in Sobriety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have discovered a simple pleasure in my life since I stopped drinking.

I love classical music! All day long, every day, from morning till night.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? What have you discovered about yourself since AL left your life?
    AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

I've discovered that I am a quieter person and not so prone anymore to "convincing" someone to do what I want to be done, whether it is to go somewhere or do something. I used to be sooooo annoyingly persisitent I think people gave in just to shut me up! It had to be part of my insecurity which I'm finding is lessening now. As far as the quiet part, I still laugh loudly (maybe too much so) but I don't feel like I need to make my voice heard above all others anymore.
    Thanks Gaia-great thread!! PS: Happy belated 7 months!!
    New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Happy belated 7 months to you too Papmom.

I like what you say about finding your own voice.
      AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

I've found my voice. I've developed self-confidence and am much more assertive.
        I'll do whatever it takes
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

I have discovered that I have alot more self control than I thought!
          By changing my beliefs and habits I can change into that person I have always wanted to be
          Be strong-
          We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
          Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

I have discovered I can have the calmer and more peaceful life I always said I wanted. I have discovered that I can handle problems that come my way much better without Alcohol to cloud the issue. I have discovered that I am a happier and busier person when I don't drink.

Comment

I have discovered that I actually enjoy not sitting in a bar thinking I'm having fun and not remembering the evening... waking up in pain and believing it was "worth it"

I also have discovered that I wasn't always a fun person to be around when I was drunk like I thought I was.

I've discovered that my real friends are happy I'm not drinking anymore.

I've discovered that once I stopped drinking my anxiety and panic attacks went away, I could sleep better and I didn't feel depressed anymore. I am really thankful for this discovery because it was a really horrible way to live when I was drinking. I'm so glad I know that now.

Comment

mylife;1022238 wrote: I have discovered that I am a happier and busier person when I don't drink.
                Me too
                Be strong-
                We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

I have proven to the people around me, that if you want to, you can indeed change your habits!
                  I have discovered that some people can't handle seeing your improvements! Oh well!
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Great Thread Gaia,
                    I have discovered that am still that same person before i started drinking many moons ago but it ok to be shy....i also discovered that i have come out of my hard shell that i have been hiding away from, and that i have discovered i have feelings and emotions for once iam learning to let go of my fears and have courage......
                    Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                    sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                    my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

I have discovered some things outside of myself and my own 4 walls that I am passionate about. I'm starting to feel good about my personal energy and the direction it's flowing these days. That didn't happen over night, and it's still an evolutionary thing. My "high" these days is about what I give to other people and to my community. Nothing puts a smile on my face like putting a smile on someone else's.

I thank MWO, AA and a power greater than myself for helping me grow beyond my alcoholism rather than continue to be swallowed by it.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I have discovered I am not as much as a homebody as I thought I was. I was only a homebody because once I started drinking I didn't want to go anywhere else or do anything else.

Two

Comment

I've discovered a lot of very good people love me, and I've been punished them, and myself, for it.

Pride
                          AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                          "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

I have discovered that I have alot more self confidence than I ever imagined. I made a decision and a commitment to be true to that decision and have come to understand that I do have the willpower, strength and determination to be in control of my own behaviors.
                            John
                            AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

I have discovered that i am a very worthwhile person and myself confidence and shyness has seemed to vanish,(well most of it) :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                              X