Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily ~ Monday 14th February

Hi all,

Thought I would get us started this morning!

For all those who celebrate it - Happy Valentines Day

So I thought I would start today with a quote:

"Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle.
    We have called by different names the brethren of the same principle." Thomas Jefferson

To me, this quote symbolises tolerance and equality. When I put it into a sobriety context, it means we are all on the same journey, we just have different ways of going about it. But it doesn't mean that our way is better or worse then others.

I wonderful af day to you all!!!!

X
    'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Good Morning Cassia! What a wonderful quote from a wonderful president.

I hope today finds everyone well.

Me personally, I woke up with a horrible migraine and I am nauseous and just generally feel yuck. I wonder if its the SAMe I started yesterday? I called into work so today will be a day of laying on the couch watching movies. Maybe my hubby will join me for a movie or two. . . after all it is valentines day.

In the words of DG . . .one things for sure.

Maybe if I feel better later I go the the AA meeting up the street.
    You always succeed if you never stop trying.
    Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Happy VD!

Thanks for starting us off, Cassia. I like your quote. Jefferson is one of my favorites.

Hi Jenny - take care of yourself at home, and get to a meeting if it helps you. Don't let a day home alone drive you down.

T.
      AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

Hi there, get ready for an emotional response.

Oooh, just read yesterday's thread. Must admit my initial, and second, and third reaction was the same as DG's. Not to rub salt in wounds, but my goodness. This is an AF thread. Why on earth, BB, would you expect to receive a round of "Well Done!" responses to your event? So, you can say, "I didn't expect that, Gaia, how can you say that?" But you did. You wanted us to say, "That's ok, Gia. I know you didn't mean it."

Sorry BB to be personal. It's not personal about you, it's personal about me.

AF does not mean "All the time, except for those times when I decide it's ok for break it."

AF does not mean "I really want to be AF, but no so much that I won't drink now and again."

AF means every day, no alcohol. Abstinence.

A few months ago Greenie said it so well. A dabbler may be counting days of effort over a period of time in trying to be AF, and excusing relapses because they were planned or didn't spin out of control. But the rest of us are there, in the bathroom crying, in the kitchen cleaning in a frenzy to get the negative energy out, in the bedroom reciting whatever it is we need to keep us going, and coming through to the other side without drinking. It's GETTING PAST those times that builds AF history, not the easy days.

OK you can call me MEAN and I don't care. I have to take care of myself first, and these games make me mad. Not mad at you, mad because I know I am just one HAIR away from playing the same games, and I am fighting for my LIFE!

(DAMMIT!)

Now I gotta get on with it.

[whew]
        AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

A few months ago Greenie said it so well. A dabbler may be counting days of effort over a period of time in trying to be AF, and excusing relapses because they were planned or didn't spin out of control. But the rest of us are there, in the bathroom crying, in the kitchen cleaning in a frenzy to get the negative energy out, in the bedroom reciting whatever it is we need to keep us going, and coming through to the other side without drinking. It's GETTING PAST those times that builds AF history, not the easy days.

I like that, I've never done it, but I like it. That scares me, is it really that hard sometimes?

Comment

Good Morning AF Friends!

I don't usually post on this thread but I lurk an awful lot because I like the people on this thread.

Cassia-you're such a wonderful addition to MWO and I just love your quote. True words of wisdom from a great man.

I am not in AA, but I wanted to share an AA story with you. Several months ago, an MWO member who was really struggling called me. She had just moved to a new city far away from her family and wanted to address her problem with AL but didn't feel like she wanted to go to an AA meeting. I hadn't heard from her in months but Saturday afternoon she called me in despair. After a weeklong binge, she called her local AA chapter and a lovely young woman her age immediately agreed to be her sponsor. This woman sat with my friend for 12 hourswhile she went through agonizing withdrawal and detox. She was absolutely overwhelmed with gratitude that she could admit that she's an alcoholic and that a total stranger would be so unselfish with her time, on a weekend, to stay with her while she suffered terrifying withdrawal symptoms. She said she has found a home with this AA group and is amazed at how kind everyone has been to her. Now, she's not afraid to deal with her addiction because she has support. I told her I couldn't be more proud of her. She's a brilliant woman with a very successful career and she didn't want to lose it all because of AL. I love hearing stories like these!

Comment

Morning everyone,

Jenny, I hope you feel better soon. And yes, there are times where it can be that hard. But it gets easier with time. It's called urge surfing - when you get the urge, you do anything at all to "surf" through it. It does go away. And coming from someone who almost died 2 weeks ago - trust me, it's so worth it to be completely and totally AF. I know for this alcoholic I can't touch the stuff. Ever. Period. But I can only do it one day at a time.

I am a grateful member of AA. I didn't think I would like it but got used to going while in rehab and now I love it. I got a great sponsor last week and I just love her to death. She is coming over later today for coffee to do some step work. Like some have said, this is my life. I know that now and will fight to the finish!

Today is Monday - Therapy day - I love therapy day. Long and tiring but I always feel so good when it's done. I also have another load of junk for the goodwill so I will drop that off on the way. Cleansing the house is good for the soul - or so I've found anyway.

Love and hugs guys, have a great 24 hours.
              Uni
              Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
              :h

Comment

Wonderful inspiring story Rusty!

Comment

Morning Uni. x post.

Comment

Hi All
                    Don't post much anymore but do read daily. Didn't want to post after reading yesterdays tread because I was so pissed off. I have been here for some time and have come to expect BS in so many areas of this site. This wasn't one of them. AF means just that, yes relapses happen and yes it sucks and we can all relate but to talk about a nice night out and was happy I only had a couple beers doesn't belong here. PERIOD!
                    Well I am now down to one tread at MWO that I am confident will always send the right message and strength. Thank you AA member's for being here.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                    AF 5-16-08
                    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                    AF 5-16-08

Comment

Morning Abbers, thanks Cassia for starting us off! Jen - I hope your migraine gets better fast and you can enjoy the day with your hubby!

Back to work today, I dont even want to see whats waiting for me but at least i'm facing Monday sober, rested, and refreshed.

Have a great day all! Treadmill tonight, not as much fun as walking the beach.
                      AF/SF - November 23, 2014

Comment

Morning guys, and happy Monday to everyone!

Cassia, thanks for getting us started and thanks for the wonderful quote. It fits perfectly with this site, doesn't it? We have AA'ers (no pun intended), MWO'ers, etc. - all who have some together for a single cause - to beat this terrible disease. Reminds of a Big Book quote about us being people who normally wouldn't mix, but there exists between us a fellowship from sharing a common peril that is alcoholism (I am paraphrasing).

I agree that this thread should be about abstinence only, as I know that even my brain - just for the tiniest moment - was excited by the prospect of being able to control and enjoy my drinking. Fool's gold to me... But, we also now have to be willing to move forward and continue our battle, as I highly doubt that BB meant any ill will. My guess is that she was just posting honestly about herself as a casual conversation among friends and wasn't thinking about the impact of those words on an ABS thread.

Hope everyone has a truly wonderful start to their week!
                        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

My Goodness-Only 9:30 EST and already 2 pages??? ZOOM ZOOM!!

I'll be back later with video and a recap of my wonderful day with family and friends yesterday!! Stay tuned!!

:l
                          New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Good mid-morning everyone!

Love that quote Cassia - it fits!

Had to rush this morning to get my part pig - part Swiss Mountain dog to the groomer. I am anxious to see her whites white again (they had taken on a grayish tinge) :H

I have to agree with the majority here that this is an AF thread & should remain that way. Although I don't want BB to feel as if she cannot post here. I think if we just remember to be sensitive to all of our thoughts, feelings & goals - we'll be OK.

The sun is out, the temperature is rising, so is the mud :H
                            I'm heading out to throw a bale of straw in the chicken yard, let them spread it around so I don't sink up to my ankles in mud tonight. They do a great job with the straw, it's funny.

Have a great AF Monday & Valentines Day (if you celebrate)!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all,

Can i second what aa said. I know there are a lot of passionate people with strong views which is great but I think we need to get back to the topic at hand. Perhaps if you feel you have to say something you can take in to pm. Happy for anyone to pm mr if it makes them feel better!!!

Xx
                              'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

Working...
                              X