AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Hey Ab-Fabbers! I'm beginning to feel like a real part of the Ab Fab group, starting the thread off today. Woo-Hoo! However, if you haven't done so, I hope everyone will refer back to yesterday's thread, too. Uni needed some extra TLC, and I don't want the new thread to overtake the posts from last night. Sending you hugs and good wishes today Uni, and everyone else, too!

My day will begin with a walk in the woods with my dog, followed by a yoga class before heading to work. Hmmmm...another day when housework is not at the top of my priority list! :H I'm very clear that I will not be drinking today, and I'm going to throw in a goal of no sugar consumption, too! We are planning a trip to Florida in late April, and I would love to lose 5 pounds by then. I know from years of experience that I won't do well with depriving myself of my favorite foods, and it's too early in my AF days (day 45 today) to be too strict with myself about other things. But no sugar today; no junk. Lots of fruits and vegies and other good foods. Let's nourish ourselves today, in whatever ways we can. How's that for a goal?

Love to all. Happy Thursday!
    Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Hey!

Has mstall been around lately???
    'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Good morning Abbers!

Thanks for the startup Sara & congrats on your 45 AF days

Greetings Cassia! I don't think we've seen Mstall for a few days, hmm!

I'm not Irish & have never been big into celebrating but I do wish everyone a very Happy St Paddy's Day! I visited Ireland years ago & loved it

Hope veryone has a wonderful AF Thursday!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Hi everyone,

Feeling better today - having a coffee and going to read for a bit and just have a general take care of uni day.

Hope everyone else has a good one as well.

Thanks guys
        Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
        :h

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Uni,

I hope you have a better day today. I know I was not anyone you would have wanted to hear from, so I hope you got a great response.

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Good Morning All,

Sarasmiles...good to see you here regularly and starting us off in the morning!

Uni--I went back and read the posts. I have to think that your dad and the way he treated you growing up is great contributor to your struggles today. And, the way he is responding to you by denying it/wanting you to "get over it" really validates that. It is very sad but true that the best thing for you is to distance yourself from him because he is only going to give you more of the same. I think this will bring you great freedom and strength. My hope is that you surround yourself with those who truly love you and that you pour your love into your daughter.

Happy St Paddy's Day to all!

M3
            AF Since April 20, 2008
            4 Years!!!
            :lilheart:

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Hello friends,

Thanks for starting the thread and for the heads up on yesterday's posts, Sara. I love the advice for Uni.

Uni--hang in there girl! Sounds like your dad is a jerk, and insensitive. I can see my husband being that way when he is older. He just doesn't "get" feelings it seems. I threw a big bash for his 50th and a friend of mine made a naughty cake. My kids were suppose to go with their grandmother but she didn't (wouldn't) take them to her house for some reason. So they managed to see the whole scene of him eating the cherry from the cake (if you know what I mean). I was appalled, embarrassed and ashamed for not trying harder to keep them from that . But I was also upset that he didn't even give it a thought.
              Take Sara's and the other's advice. He's not going to change, and if you can accept him for who he is somewhere down the road--more power to ya. But don't feel bad if you can't. Forgiveness could give you peace though...keep that in mind.:l

I started cleaning and organizing my office which is obviously a 2 or 3 day project, so i decided not to go to Terry's right now. I got word this morning that they took her to the hospital, so I might change my mind again. Damn!

I remember way back when :H St Patty's day was one of my favorite days of the year! I loved celebrating and drinking green beer. It was a hard sober day for awhile. Now, I still make sure to wear green but I'm a little more upset that since I gave up sweets for awhile, I can't have a green milk shake with my sons later!! But--maybe a green smoothie!
              It's also my mom's birthday, she would have been 83.

Thanks for the link yesterday Greenie. I listened to the radio show while I cleaned my office. I broke down and upgraded my Internet service so I can do more of that.

Have a green sober day all!:h
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Thanks everyone for your posts. I agree, a lot of my depression and struggles today stem from my past with my dad. Until I was sober I didn't feel the emotions surrounding it and suppressed a lot of them which is why they are coming back so strongly now.

I am actually thinking of going back to the treatment centre that I first went to - they have an integrated trauma/depression/substance abuse program that I think would hugely benefit me. I'll have to see if my insurance covers it and if I can get in. I'm sure it won't be an issue.

And Rusty - don't be silly - It was great to hear from you when I was in need - thank you. Truely.
                Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                :h

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Hey all

Uni - I am glad you are feeling more positive today and it looks like you got some great advice from here. It definitely worth investigating more about what the treatment centre can do for you. When I was in therapy and suffered from depression, I found it immensely refreshing to be able to talk about it with a complete stranger who had no preconceptions. Depression is a hard thing - I have suffered with it on and off for most of my life starting in my teens up until about 3 years ago when it culminated in laying in bed for days (not with a hangover) and distancing myself from everyone. I just could be happy. I just felt so lost...i couldn't explain it - it was like a dark cloud hanging over me. I realised through therapy that I hadn't dealt with a number of issues: my mom's death, my dad's alcoholism, being left on my own in a foreign country with no money and having to forgo my education (I got a better one in the end), always having to fend for myself, my awful relationship with my sister etc. It did get better and I did deal with some of those issues. I never did confront the whole thing about my mom dying when i was so young - I am still not ready to. But I do feel better (much much better) and the only depression I have had since then has been alcohol induced. One thing that also helped me immensely was exercise. It's a really important part of my life and I feel awful without it. I really does give me a happy tush.

I hope you find what you need - it is out there, its just a matter of asking the right questions.

x
                  'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Good evening all!

Just off of 4 hrs on EB duty, chickens put to bed, etc & I'm exhausted :H
                    The weather was nice today so we spent a good deal of time outside. Also had some time with Lily this afternoon as well - not bad for a Thursday

Uni, glad you are a bit better today :l

Hi Cassia & everyone.
                    Hope a good evening is in store for all!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Haven't been here for a while. After 23 days of not drinking, I started bingeing again. To tell the truth, I don't even get a pleasurable buzz when I drink now. This is insane. Now I have to wait through the withdrawal. Not as bad as it has been on occasion, but I don't want to go through this again. And for what? To feed a horrible addiction that doesn't give a damn whether I live or die? (Well, it wants me just to stay alive enough to keep drinking....) I QUIT. I am not going to count days this time. It's just over.
                      I can't drink and pretend to be sane. I can't drink and pretend to be moral. I can't drink and continue to live.

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Amen SarahH! You are preaching to the choir girl!
                        You always succeed if you never stop trying.
                        Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

Yeah. I guess that is the essence of addiction. You know its crazy and you can't control it, but you keep listening to that little beast again and again and again.
                          I can't drink and pretend to be sane. I can't drink and pretend to be moral. I can't drink and continue to live.

Comment

AF Daily - Thurs. 3/17

another late night ooooorah! from the garlic-flavored high desert dude here.

Sarasmiles, great startup for today and I like your plan

SaraH, please stay close here, you sound quite resolved and I can truly relate in every way. I trust you know yourself enough to decide whether you need to get in for your detox or tough it out at home.

Uni, what are you having most trouble with? cravings or depression or both? xxxxxxx dear

well, another big travel day tomorrow. better get my beauty sleep

be well
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                            X