Weekly AA Thread - Apr. 4 - Apr. 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DG: I hope so. The meeting I'm going to speak at is a pretty good mix of men & women. Sometimes I wonder if I can be of any help to another alcoholic who didn't drink as I did, i.e. secretly, alone, & wo/totally catastrophic consequences. However, I have to put aside my self-centered fear & just do it. Someone is bound to get something out of what I have to say. At least, I hope so.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, I get something out of things you "say" here.
      You keep it up.
      Like DG, wish I could be there to hear you in person.
      Love and Peace,
      Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

I'm with Phil Mary - I always "get" a ton from what you say! I'm sure it will be the same face to face.

Hi Phil! Where are your travels taking you this week?

The banquet was a really good time last night. Gee - there at least 300 people there. The place was packed! They did a great job with the food - it's not easy serving so many and having it all be fresh rather than dried out, etc.! Sitting with the girlfriends was fun and meeting new people was fun too. And of course going to a party on Saturday night and being fresh and unhung on Sunday - well, can't beat that!

The speaker was Dr. Burns B. I have a speaker CD of his. He is an "old timer" from KY. What I liked about his talk was his intense focus on the "design for living" offered through the 12 Steps, and the specific ways this has made a difference in his life.

I could also relate well to his bottom. While he never got a DUI or lost his medical practice or family, alcohol (and amphetamines) took him to a dark place where he wanted to kill himself. That's how it was for me too. (without the amphetamines)

I love how in AA things just happen sometimes that re-inspire me. Last night was a moment that re-inspired me to get my nose seriously back into the Big Book and the steps. I realize that I am just a baby novice at all this, and the best quality of life is yet to come - if I work for it.

I went to a different meeting than usual this morning. It's called "The Relationship Meeting" and it's an open AA meeting. It's open topic but usually geared in some way towards issues in family relationships. Today the topic was great. We talked about boundaries, and what this program teaches us about setting them and honoring our own and those of other people. It was really good stuff for me - especially given the current stuff going on with my Mom & Dad. I was reminded that there are only two kinds of business - my business, and none of my business. I need to honor appropriate boundaries with my parents. Very timely reminder.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X