Weekly AA Thread - Apr. 10 - 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone: My daughter has a quite a bit of denial about me. She tends to see AA as a band of biker types & not a place for a grandmother like me. Of course, she's never been to a meeting & would be shocked at the diversity of people there. Also, she doesn't really know ALL of what I did while drinking. The hiding & subterfuge was incredible. What a relief to live openly, warts & all. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi all! I'm resisting the urge to say "Hi Sneaky B's!" :H:H

Anyway....

I really like today's Thought For the Day from Hazelden:

Being on the tightrope is living; everything else is waiting.
      --Karl Wallenda

In walking a tightrope, a person has to learn to relax while going forward in a situation filled with risk. If he is tense and keeps his body rigid, he will lose his balance and fall. But if he stays relaxed and keeps his muscles loose while remaining very focused, he can continuously respond and readjust his balance while walking. Then he will experience the exhilaration of success. This is a perfect metaphor for life itself, for growing in an intimate relationship and for growing in recovery.

Life itself is a risk. When we hold on too tight, remain too guarded, and anxiously try to control every factor, we become stiff and reactive rather than calm, focused, and responsive. The guidance of this path teaches us to let go of our anxieties and leads us to peace of mind. When we learn to do that, we can deftly walk our path and more effectively maintain our balance in dealing with whatever comes up.

Today I will calm myself while walking on my path.
      "Hanging on too tight" described perfectly what I used to do constantly, and still struggle with at times. Worrying about future events long after I have taken applicable actions. Trying to control outcomes. Trying to control people. It doesn't work. It definitely didn't work when I was doing it drunk! But it doesn't work sober either.

I've never thought of it like the tight rope example. Relaxed and focused. Ahhhh. I like that. I'm going to try to stay relaxed yet focused today.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG: I just read that reading right before I logged on here. It's such a good message for me. I have a strong need for control. Drinking offered me an opportunity to relax & let down my guard. Now I have to find non-chemical ways to do that. M
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

I love that thought DG, thanks - it not only reminds me of myself but also of other people in my life who could learn a lesson from that. I sometimes wish everyone I knew had some kind of programme :H

K x
          Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Great metaphor DG. Will remember it. Thanks

Comment

Mary,
              I think many of us had an incorrect view of "those people" in AA.
              As you mentioned, it can be a highly diverse crowd. It is difficult to explain the concept of AA and meetings to "civilians".
              Happy Palm Sunday everyone.
              Love and Peace,
              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

I wonder what I feared more pre-AA?

Fear of finding that I really, indeed, am an alcoholic?
                Fear of feeling like I DID NOT fit in at AA?
                Fear of feeling like I DID fit in at AA?

It's like an old pair of shoes now and I like it!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Great comments DG. When I started listening to the similarities, yikes, I did fit in and exactly where I needed to be.
                  Love and Peace,
                  Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...
                  X