AF Daily - Friday 17 June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning all. It is a very long time since I have started this thread!

Off to the clinic at lunchtime. This week has seemed to pass very slowly.I have been reading but not posting because obviously I wasn't AF. It has been the oddest feeling, desparately not wanting to drink each day but knowing I have to until I can detox safely. Somehow I am feeling aprehensive and excited all at the same time. I was about to say wish me luck but realised it isn't about luck it is about hard work and determination.

Yesterday's thread was fascinating. I can so relate to the highs and lows and particularly the self sabotaging. It was as if someone else was recording my feelings while letting me into their life.

Det... have really felt for you all week. You'll work it out. Oddly I have been remembering the Alaskan Cruise you took when I first joined. I remember being amazed that there were AA meetings on cruise ships.

Have to get a move on now but will let you know how I get on.

Take care all.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow - Einstein
    AF 8 June 2012

Morning all.

What does the detox involve Loppy?

I had a guy round to measure up my windows to get them all replaced this morning. They are about 50 years old so it's about time! They are nice old wooden frames (but showing their age now) and I'd prefer wood but everything is PVC now. Hey ho. At least I managed to get ?320 knocked off the price so I'm pleased about that.

Good to have someone round at 9am and not be twitchy because I want to get rid of him quickly so I can drink. Still love that
    I remember having a TV installation man round in the morning once and started drinking before he arrived and kept going off to kitchen to drink while he was here, and thinking he wouldn't notice I stank of booze

I'm off to work. Have a good day all!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Good Morning All,

Just finished catching up on yesterday's threads. It seems like there is lots of inner turmoil happening all around, me included.

I was struck by folks's willingness to share their difficult pasts and reflections on why they drink/relapse. Let's not forget (and I am reminding myself here too) that Al is an addiction and for most of us, our number one choice for dealing with our difficulties.

Yesterday, I was in the wine section of the store. I am having a small get together tonight and I was buying wine for folks who will be there. I think this is the first time that I have purchased wine since I stopped drinking. I was okay until my eyes fell upon some of my favorite wines that I used to drink. It sent me down memory lane and not in a good way. I got into a "poor me" frame of mind and I was glamorizing the "old days" of being able to have a few drinks and relax (or course it was never a few drinks and it typically ended in disaster). I will not be doing that again soon.

I am humbled by what all of us with an alcohol addiction have to go through every day. Alcohol is all around us and within our reach. All it would take is opening the bottle and pouring a glass.

So now I know that I have to be extremely vigilant tonight. Fortunately, the party is only from 6 - 8 pm, my husband and kids will be there, and I will have he and others do all handling of alcohol. I will also have folks leave with any open bottles or have my husband pour then down the sink. I really don't have an urge to drink but the experience from yesterday made me feel vulnerable. And, I know that I have not been in a very good place emotionally of late. I'm going to have a long, sweaty yoga practice today and I will be on guard tonight.

M3
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!
      :lilheart:

Comment

Our collective prayers and strength will be with you M3 holding you up and buffering you against the beast.

Deter and Loppy same for you. You all are firmly in my heart and mind today as I try to get through another one. I would say TGIF but it means nothing to me anymore and it will be just another night at home alone with the boyz and kitties.

stay strong everyone!
        New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

P3.....:l:l:l
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hugs to you Papmom,

Yes, we will all stay strong. It is so worth it to have an AF life. I never want to go back to those days because they sucked. I started drinking at such an early age that I did not know any other coping mechanism. Now, I am growing up and learning to handle life on life's terms.

M3
            AF Since April 20, 2008
            4 Years!!!
            :lilheart:

Comment

Hello everyone. Loppy, it is so good to see you. Yes - what will your detox entail? Along with everyone here, I will be rooting for your success.

Marshy, I can sure relate to the service workers being there, and "sneaking" off to the kitchen for refills and thinking nobody was the wiser. I cringe when I think about it.

P3 :l:l:l

Greenie - I actually said to DH recently "I go through phases where I don't like the company of people at all." It shocked me when it came out of my mouth. It was honest. For once in my life. I have always been seen as an "extrovert, outgoing, etc." type. I was taught very early in life to put a smile on and pretend. I realize that sometimes "just doing it" is important. But I need to feed my inner introvert too sometimes, I think.

M3, I wish you well at your event tonight. I don't think I've had to buy any AL since I quit drinking. Wouldn't really want to. Sounds like you have a good plan for tonight.

I'm off to an early business meeting, then to AA tough chix that I haven't been to in a long time. Will be nice to see everyone. Then a couple of other things I have to do in that town. Then I hope a LONG WALK this afternoon. I need exercise to burn off steam and relax me. (that's what helps me Jenny)

How are you today Det? I love your newfound resolve.

One thing is for sure.....

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Morning guys! Wishing strength to everyone who is going through a challenging time right now, and thanks for starting off the thread this morning Loppy....

Marshy/DG, my sneaking off for refills was more of a 'lets see how much I can guzzle down in the least amount of time!' I used to take liter Diet Coke bottles, and drink just enough so that a 1/2 pint of vodka would fit into it. Once I poured the vodka in, I actually chug it down - primary because it tasted like crap - but I was convinced that no one would notice. I'd also open and chug a bottle of wine, leaving just enough so that when I filled it back up with water and corked it no one would notice. I didn't have a drinking problem though - I could quit if I really wanted to! Yeah right.....

DG, I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of us being honest with ourselves and others. When we stop 'pretending' we can start being happy with who we are, warts and all. God knows, I've got some damn big warts!!

Hope everyone has a safe, happy and sober Friday. Loppy, P3, M3, and Det - extra strength being sent out to you guys!
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Guys, I wanted to say a quick thanks for welcoming me back after a time away. I think I realized that I wasn't mentally where I wanted to be, as I haven't been posting here and I haven't been to a meeting in awhile. I'd gotten away from the things that have gotten me to this point in life, and a big part of that is being around people who I can talk to about this disease. Thankfully a drink has been the furthest thing from my mind, but at the same time I know that being restless, irritable and discontent is a recipe for disaster in my life, and at some point it will catch up with me.....

Sometimes doing what we know if right can be the hardest thing to do, even when you know what the reward is down the road... But even writing this brings about a sense of calm that seems to have been pretty rare lately, and we've all got to start somewhere, right?

Thanks again..

AA
                  Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Mom3 - I had to buy wine for the first time last week to take to someone's house for dinner (I now usually take flowers, food etc instead but I was in a rush and wine seemd the quickest option). I was sort of *watching* myself to see it made me feel but I'm not really sure how it did make me feel - it's a complicated business. I did notice that it's gone up in price since I stopped!
                    My & GF will be having a get-together at home soon and that will be the first time I've had lots of people drinking in my home since I quit too. Will definitely need a plan for that!

DG - I'm in need of a LONG WALK too. Feeling so stressed at the moment. Hopefully the weather will be OK on Sunday and I can do just that.
                    sigpic

Comment

AAthlete - there is something great about being able to talk to other alcoholics, either here or in person. I like the "no explanation necessary" aspect of it apart from other things.
                      sigpic

Comment

Good morning Abbers from yet another sunless day in PA

Started the day with zero energy - still don't have any. That's what these cloudy days do to me, yuck! I do have things to do so I need to push myself - really hard :H

Wishing everyone a great aF Friday!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello friends,

Just spent some time catching up on yesterday's thread. :l:l:l to everyone! :h:h

That is all.
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Can't really post here today but just wanted to send my best wishes to Loppy and Det and good luck to M3 for tonight

xIC
                            I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Good morning, all. Lots of people here go back a long way together obviously. It must be wonderful to have these connections.
                              I am feeling like 10 pounds of poop in a 1 pound pail this morning....but must work. The grandkids are coming with D1 today, for Fathers day. So better get my chores done first. Have a great AF day today. And a happy F day to those of you who are with or are a father. kaslo
                              Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X