Weekly AA Thread - June 20 - 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corinne, good for you keeping an open mind to it. I kicked against AA for years.

Trying different meetings, you will hear people who you consider to be 'worse' than you AND not as bad as you. The awful things that alcohol abuse can cause like losing your home, job, partner, health etc, some of us have experienced them and for those that are lucky enough not to, we call them 'yet's. As in 'I haven't lost a job due to alcohol...yet, but if I continued drinking...' Alcoholism is progressive.

Amazing job on 100 days on your own. I was doing it on my own at first and achieved a fairly long amount of sobriety (about a year). And then I relapsed, and couldn't stay sober again for more than abvut a month, and then I did lose a job due to my drinking, for the first time ever. Then I found AA - I wish I had tried it before it came to me losing my job.

K x
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Kimberley thanks for this, it makes perfect sense to me
      I guess yeah some of those people had lost a lot because of alcohol, that's where i felt bad because I hadn't

Apart from my mental health, my sanity, and progressively going into work (teaching) more often with a thick head and having little patience with the children. And my own kids too, they suffered I guess although they are still quite little so probably weren't aware of it really. I'm not in financial trouble, nor am I in an abusive relationship. I just felt like I didn't tick the boxes. I think I need to try another meeting and I have a friend who is going to take me to one that he goes to regularly
      100 days on my own was a bugger, I found it hell for the first couple of weeks then have had hard times and easy times since then. I need support in keeping it up on the days I feel like a drink will make it better
      I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Yeah its amazing to be able to go to a meeting when you desperately want a drink and then talk to a bunch of sober alkies and no longer want it so bad when you leave. I had a very difficult week where I wanted a drink every day. I got as close as having a bottle in my hand. I went to a meeting, almost hoping it wouldn't work so I'd have an excuse to drink! But it did work and I never had that drink. I don't even know how it works like that, but it does and I am very grateful for it.

K x

ps yeah your cat is very cute too. I have an evil cat and I am very jealous of people who have cute cats! (I love her to bits obviously, but she is evil)
        Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Corinne: Kimberly's words are very wise. By the way, I've heard drinking stories (I go to many speaker meetings) that aren't anything like mine. I'm a retired teacher & went to school w/a hangover...that wasn't fun. But, I did not lose my job or my family. Maybe my story sounds mild compared to some, but I was in agony...especially spiritually...& couldn't do it on my own. So, I try not to compare my story w/anyone's...I try to identify w/something a speaker says. Some of my best friends in program who are called high-bottom drunks...they hadn't totally sunk down into homelessness, joblessness, etc. We function but not very well & w/no serenity or peace.

Good luck.

Mary

Kimberly: We adopted a mini-poodle dog from a local shelter. He had a very uncertain past, & consequently, he can really have an evil twin that comes out from time to time. We love him to pieces though.
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi everyone! Corrine, welcome to this thread. I sure with there was some way to make that first AA meeting seem "not weird" but it seems that's pretty much how it is for most people! I love that your are not willing to toss out a potential support system due to one uncomfortable experience.

I second the motions already given - try different meetings to see which you like best. Try not to compare your circumstances to others - I have always been told to seek the similarities and not the differences. I was never homeless either, and technically never lost a job to drinking. (I quit before I got fired. ) I've never had a DUI and didn't lose my husband. But as Mary described, I was very, very soul sick.

I am really grateful to day to have the AA support system shoring up my sobriety. but yes - definitely weird at first.

Your cat is cool looking!

Todays meeting was good. It was based on the 24-Hours a Day reading. The discussion focused along the lines of "my sobriety program is only as good as the weakest link." It was healthy to think about what areas I neglect. Spending quality time in meditation each day is one of them. It was really a good message for me to hear today.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Pingu,

I reckon the first couple of AA meetings are always daunting! I was in tears as I walked down to mine. I had my partner with me and if he hadn't been, I probably wouldn't have gone in.

However, once I told them I was new, I was taken under their wing and looked after really well.
              I didn't have any major rock bottom, or lose my partner, home or job. But I just could not bear to go on drinking like I was anymore.

12 years ago I went to a couple of AA meetings and decided prematurely that I didn't 'fit in'. Needless to say, 11 years of heavy drinking followed. I went back as I described above, just under a year ago. I have been sober ever since.
              As Doggy says, look for the similarities, not the differences. Everyone is different anyhow, whether we drink or not.

Hope you keep on going back to your meetings - don't worry about all the formal stuff for now. Just get to meetings and try not to drink.
              Best wishes
              Amelia xx
              Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Everyone: i just wanted to let you all know that I'm going to visit my mother & get some things straightened out for her. I'll be gone about 9 days. I'm bringing Patty w/me, as my mother hasn't seen her & has been concerned. See you all when I get back. Mary
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, travel safely. I hope your get together with 3 generations of family women is a good experience for all of you!

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                  X