Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying monthly abstinence from today...

Hi, :new:

My name is Treya and I am becoming more amd more dependent on alcohol.
    I'm here to find support and learn from you all (and hopefully to support others in time).
    I like the sound of monthly abstinence. It's been some time since I tried a month so it may be quite a journey. Wish me luck. This is the first day of the month for me and it feels good.
    AF since 11 July 2011
    You can never get enough of what you don't really want

Hi treya & welcome to mwo,read as many as the posts & treads as you can and you will see you are not alone in this journey,If this is your first time to stop drinking there is a tool box in this thread at the top,hope to see you around the boards, goodluck.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi Treya,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!
      Be sure to read the MWO book, it's a good place to get started. You can find it in the Heath Store here on the website. I download my copy so I could read it right away.

Commiting yourself to 30 AF days is a great goal & one you can achieve. Make a good plan for yoursel. Look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for good ideas.

Drop in the Newbies Nest thread for more support.
      Wishing you the best!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Treya: I've been a member of this site for 4 years, & it has helped tremendously. I love being sober! I come here (especially this forum) every day & read & share. I too became dependent upon alcohol...drinking a lot, hiding it from my loved ones, & having lots of physical, emotional, & spiritual pain as a result. I feel free of all that. Good luck. Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Hey Treya,

Just wanted to wish you luck. A month is a great goal to set, just make sure that if you're having a tough time of it that you take it a day at a time, or an hour or a minute at a time if that is all you can manage.

Read and post often, reach out for support and I know you can meet your goal.

K x
          Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

:welcome: Treya
            You have found a wonderful place, wishing you much strength. Read as much as you can and post how you are feeling. If you are struggling there is always someone here to talk to. Getting through the witching hours are difficult in the beginning, try changing your routine at the time of day you usually start to drink. Go for a walk, call a friend, come on here, take an exercise class.... Anything to distract that stinking thinking.
            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
            AF - JAN 1st 2010
            NF - May 1996

Comment

I'm so grateful for all the comments. It makes me feel part of the forum already. I look forward to using the toolbox and reading the other posts though there are so many-it may take some time.
              You're right. A day at a time is the only way to go since the present is all we have.
              The last time I gave up for any time at all was during a liver cleanse and somehow it seemed easier. That's part of the plan again now, drinking a lot of water, juicing and eating as much organic fresh food as I can. I'm also using prayer and meditation. I know it might be tough especially at trigger times which tend to be around the evening meal and social occasions of which there are many - but day one is over already. Day two coming up.
              Thanks again for all your support,
              AF since 11 July 2011

Comment

Hi Treya! Just wanted to add another :welcome: Getting free of AL's mighty grip is the best thing by far I've ever done for myself. (that, and quit smoking!) I was hopelessly stuck in AL's rut so if I can get out, and these other people can get out, I know you can do it too. Good luck with Day 2!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Treya, WELCOME TO MWO. A great site with really useful info and wonderful people. I too decided I would go 30 days, and here I am at a half a year as of tomorrow, and it is SO WORTH IT. I cant believe how much better I feel all the time now. It took me many tries, and it was this site and one other that kept me out of the sauce. So KEEP POSTING how you feel. You will have bad days, where you are sorely tempted. It helps to get encouragement from people who have actually been there.

Kaslo
                  Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

How are you doing today Treya?

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Welcome Treya,
                      I will join you. I need to stay sober and cope with some rotten personal issues so here goes.
                      Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Hi DG,
                        Thanks for asking. I'm good. Three days in.
                        I think Kimberley suggested I read and post often about how I feel. Good idea.
                        Day two was up and down after being so positive on day one.
                        I guess what I'm afraid of most is the many ways the craving /addiction worms its way into your thoughts-like yesterday at dinner time feeling so flat that I thought I'd never be happy again. For a few minutes I actually believed it -until from somewhere came the realsisation that this is just the old trickster AL talking and to be prepared for the many insidious forms those temptation thoughts will take. It's understanding that it's only a passing thought and not necessarily a true one that I think will help most.
                        In the post yesterday came a book I'd oredered Essential Spirituality by Roger Walsh. Second chapter dedicated to the power of attachment in general and there were some nuggets of wisdom in there alright.
                        Also I am continuing with the juicing, water, vit supplements which must help to clear my head I feel.
                        So, in short I'm having an up day -so far. I'm prepared to take every day on its merit and train my awareness of the present moment.
                        Thanks to everyone for the support. I'm not going anywhere!
                        AF since 11 July 2011

Comment

That is great news Treya! And you are ahead of the game recognizing the addictive thoughts for the BS they are. I definitely find this to be much easier focusing only on today. Some days are easier than others. With more time under my belt, the ratio of difficult days and easy days got better and better. I rarely have a "bad day" now in terms of AL thoughts. Keep putting one foot in front of the other - you are doing great!

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Running4life....great news. I look forward to hearing from you. Good luck too.
                            DG.It's great to know that the al thoughts will get less in time. My big fear is that I'll get caught out with one of 'em and take a drink!
                            I so admire everyone who has managed to stay sober and made it a way of life. I'd love to think it was do-able for me too.
                            T
                            AF since 11 July 2011

Comment

Hey Treya ~ well done - would you like a buddy? Day one for me.

Kind regards and keep up the good work,

Tahlula x :l
                              :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                              Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Working...
                              X