Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying monthly abstinence from today...

Hi Tahula! Good luck to you too!

Treya - I totally understand the fear that you feel. I went through that too - the fear that somehow I wouldn't be able to control myself and I would act on one of those thoughts. The solidarity I have with other people "just like me" here and also face to face really helped me get over that. I shore up my strength to stay sober by participating here at MWO - both getting and giving support. I do that face to face as well. For today that fear is gone. Keep working on it and reaching out. It will get better for you too.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Tahula, yes I'm happy to be your buddy. It's only day 5 for me today so it's all new.
      Hey DG,
      Thanks for the words of encouragement. They mean a lot. I will try to reach out but it has been my downfall in the past keeping things to myself and trying to go it alone.
      AF since 11 July 2011
      You can never get enough of what you don't really want

Comment

I tried to go it alone too - didn't work. It has taken effort to learn to ask for help when I need it. The payoff is huge!

How are things going for you today? Great I hope!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Bugger! Didn't do my first day BUT am not going to be too hard on myself as I need to stay positive - my plan for today - another big walk, listen to the cd, a dose of laughter yoga and go to the supermarket and stock up on mineral waters etc.... anyone else have some advice to help me ~ please ~ I so want to kick this in the but!! I can do this - I can do this,

thanks,

Tahlula
          :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
          Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Hi DG and evryone else,
            Having a good day here. It has really helped me Tahula to get the store cupboard organised in advance. I've really tried not just to cut out booze but any form of white sugar as I'm sure I have a big problem balancing blood sugar especially when drinking. It seems to me that I find it really difficult to give up booze when I'm eating chocolate, etc, and when I'm boozing I find it really hard to give up the chocolate, etc. So what I find is -it's much easier for me to give up booze at the same time as I'm also giving up sugar! That way I don't get blood sugar roller coasters that make me reach for a glass of wine or a cookie.
            So this week I'm sticking to lean organic meats, plenty veg, raw and juiced, homemade soups. Day six of new regime today and I'm beginning to buzz with energy. Each night especially at cooking time I've been assailed by thoughts of a nice glass of red wine but I know that the thoughts are only temporary and that if I just try to ride them like the wave they'll eventually subside. Old habits die hard but maybe the harder they die the stronger you become.
            XTreya
            AF since 11 July 2011

Comment

:yougo::yougo::yougo:

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Treya,

So happy that you are here. When I was very early in my sobriety, I took it day by day. It is really good that you are juicing, drinking lots of water, fluids, supplements, etc. That is most definitely a very good thing to do. Don't let the scary thoughts overwhelm you. One thing that I did was to stay busy and not spend too much time moping around in the house. Going for a walk, meeting friends for lunch, gardening, logging onto MWO, yoga, exercise are examples of some of the things I did (and still do). And, of course there is AA if you are so inclined. I also stayed clear of bars and social activities that involved lots of alcohol. Oh yes, and I cleared the house of alcohol (and all of those ugly empty wine bottle I hid everywhere) and avoided walking down the wine aisle in grocery stores!!!

One thing my yoga instructor said to me the other day that really struck a cord was "You're body is your home. Treat it well; don't trash it."

Check out the tool box thread which is in this Monthly Abs section.

Tahlua, great to see you here too and it's nice that you two can support one another.

Come on over to Daily Abs or Weekly Abs or the AA threads that are all in the this Monthly Abs section. A great group of supportive people and some of us have been here for a long time. We all understand what you are going through.

M3
                AF Since April 20, 2008
                4 Years!!!
                :lilheart:

Comment

Awesome work Treya ~ well done ~ I loved the sparkling mineral water with a dash of lemon in it ~ also some chewing gum takes away the urge for me. Loved the " Old habits die hard but maybe the harder they die the stronger you become"

Keep up the good work - look forward to conquering this with you,

X
                  :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                  Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Treya: Keep coming & posting. Once you get a few days, weeks behind you, it becomes easier. You're recircuiting your brain to manage wo/alcohol. Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Thanks Mom of three and Reteacher. It's fantastic to get such encouraging words from those who have gone before and know the journey well.

One thing my yoga instructor said to me the other day that really struck a cord was "You're body is your home. Treat it well; don't trash it."
                      It's so true.
                      AF since 11 July 2011

Comment

Working...
                      X