Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quit booze, now nightmares

Hi,
    I have decreased my drinking recently, but now I am experiencing horrible nightmares every night. Is this normal? Will it stop once my body gets used to not having booze in it?

I did a period of two weeks ABs and I have a drank a total of four days over the last the 19 (I used to drink 5-6 nights a week). I'm wondering if any of your long term abstainers had nightmares during the first few weeks and then had them settle down?

Thanks,
    Andy

I can tell you that whenever I have periods of ABS, I tend to have "drinking" dreams. In my dreams I am reverting to my past drinking behaviour - sneaking alcohol, the whole dream is about me trying so hard to drink. I dont know why. I think its common - I once heard of these called "user dreams".
    What are your nightmares about?
    Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Basically, I'm dreaming about falling off buildings; being attacked; my wife being attacked; I'm sure these are all symbolic of my batttle with the bottle and the fact that I am now facing it. I just was wondering if others had a similar situation?

Comment

Can't say that I have had any nightmares, but my dreams are much more vivid. I hope things settle down for you soon!

Comment

When you sleep, your truly restful state is your REM state. (short for rapid eye movement) This is where dreaming takes place. If you go to bed drunk, most of the time you never reach REM stage sleeping. That is why you wake up tired after drinking. Dreams are your brains way of sorting through and resolving conflict. Sometimes it's a small conflict, sometimes it's a big one and the dream can be nightmarish. You are dealing with resolving anxiety through a dream process. So, yes they will die down with time. Dealing with your problems and conflicts during wake times lessens you dealing with them at night. Make sense?
          Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

I have nightmares during detox

Hi Andy,

You are not alone! I get them too! They are so bad they even involve death at times. I have woken up screaming on more than one occassion. Actually, when I recently came off, I had this dream there was someone in my closet and ran for the light. It sucks so bad.... They will pass.

And on another note: I was just out walking with my daughter to get some stuff from the store - and I had this overwhelming feeling like something bad was going to happen! I couldn't shake it and we were out for about 2 hours... Huge paranoia! This is after 13 days of being AF! I am so happy to be home.... eeeesh!

Withdrawal symptoms come and go for a while I hear. Just know that once your body adjusts to a healthier you, these will disappear. Hang in there:l

Comment

Accountable and PP: Your responses are awesome and make perfect sense.

I'm already feeling better that I am not alone. The problem must be my new brain getting used to the fact that it isn't consumed by poisonous alcohol. My therapist said something similar, but I guess needed to hear it from some other people. I was a little worried the supps had something to do with it, but I think depriving my brain of alcohol is a much more powerful thing adn would lead to bad dreams. Thanks so much for your responses. Sweet dreams.

Comment

Hey Andy, Sorry to hear about the nightmares, I know how horrible it can feel. Hang in there. I'm a big believer in "lucid dreaming" as I've had some pretty wild dream experiences. When I am afraid of having a nightmare or if I wake up from one, I talk to myself before falling asleep. Sounds crazy, maybe is. But, it really helps me. I tell myself "It's okay... I can face this fear... show me what I'm afraid of, I will face it, I will beat it, I will be okay". And, somehow it works. Wishing you sweet slumber.
                Olly

Comment

Friends,
                  I was freaking out, so I just called my psyh doc to see what he thought. He told me this is perfectly normal and actually a good thing. It means my brain is washing itself out, and is no longer clouded with all those bad chemicals. He said it should pass with time. Anyway, thought I'd pass that along in case anyone out there is suffering a similar plight.
                  andy

Comment

Working...
                  X