Alcohol and Breast Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all! Well, on Tuesday, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. They are pushing me through very quickly to start treatment. I see the surgeon on Wednesday.

The radiologist and my Dr. figure that it was caused by trauma - falling and damaging a duct in my breast.

I know all too well how that happened! Back in my drunken days, I fell all the time!

I am only 39 - and have two children who are 17 and 6.

The tumor is now 3 centimeters by 2 centimeters and has started to spread into my arm pit.

I am gonna kick it's butt - but am scared. I will be having a mastectomy - which is hard to accept at my age, but I want to live.

I just wanted to post this to raise awareness to you all.

It is SOOOO important to do your self examinations and to go to your physician to have your yearly physicals done! Please!

Anyway, I will post more as my treatment goes on.

Sending a little prayer your way. You will beat this!!!
    ?A year from now you will wish you had started today.? Karen Lamb

Comment

AFM - so sorry to hear this. Breast cancer feels very prevalent just now - in the last 2 months my 29 year old neighbour who is 5 months pregnant with her 2nd child has been diagnosed with BC and is now receiving treatment and now another friend has just had an emergency mastectomy. Very scary - ladies: check your breasts!

I can only imagine how frightening this must be for you and wish you all the best for a speedy & full recovery.
      Thinking of you.
      Bean

Comment

AFM I am really sorry to read this news. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :l I think there is really really good news on the recovery front - I think your odds are very good of beating this and never looking back. I am so happy that you are AF - full and present to make decisions and deal with this - and no more inbound poison.

I know retteacher (Mary)'s daughter has gone through treatment and a masectomy and reconstruction. Mary has been there for her every step of the way. I'm betting if you wanted some encouragement or to find out what it has been like for someone else, she would be happy to talk to you. You can always find her on the AA thread.

:l:l:l

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

AFM:l :l

One of my very best friends has just gone through mastectomies (bilateral) & reconstructive surgery. She is a trooper & I just know you will be too :l

I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers & yes I do go for yearly screening mamograms even when I don't especially feel like it. I hope everyone else does as well!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AFM....my love and and good wishes to you....here for you if I can be of any help xx
            ...peace and quiet....and a cup of tea.....heaven:h

Comment

AFM - thank goodness that you are sober and able to deal with this with a clear head. I know you have the strength to make it through this.

My thoughts are with you and I will pray for you every day.

Love and hugs,
              Uni
              Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
              :h

Comment

Dear AFM, I am so sorry to hear about you devastating diagnosis. I did not realize you could get breast cancer from an injury.

I'm right there with the others lending support and know you can get through this as you are a strong person!

Much love and prayers to you!:l:l:h:h
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hi there - I have Pm'd you. Been there. Done that. I am 4 1/2 years out. Double mastectomy. PLEASE know this is doable. It is scary but with support, it is doable. No more words - so sorry for your Diagnosis. :l

love and hugs coming your way,

Sun XXX
                  How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

My thoughts are with you.

kaslo

Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Thinking of you AFM.
                      You are strong, you have a great attitude. You can and will beat this im sure :l
                      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hello AFM
                        You don't know me, but I have just read your post. My heart goes out to you, but please, listen to me, don't beat yourself up - I know so very many people who have been given the diagnosis that you have, but you must believe it has nothing to do with anything you have done in the past, so please don't feel guilty. It sounds to me that you have been diagnosed early - which means you have a fantastic chance of a full recovery. I know it is terribly scary right now and of course, extremely hard to deal with. Surround yourself with positive and loving people and you will absolutely most defintely make it. So my friend, stay positive, upbeat and the fact that you are AF is a huge plus, you can and will beat this, trust me. This dreadful disease attacks everyone, it doesn't care who it strikes, it just happens. But having said that, please believe that there is hope out there, and that if found early enough a 100 percent recovery can and will happen. So please stay on this site and talk to us, we will always be there for you at any time of the day or night. You must believe in yourself and be positive and know that you will beat this - you have so much to look forward to and to live for - your two children, your family and friends, and of course yourself. I had breast cancer at the age of 36 years and have survived to tell the tale. Yes, it's hard, and downright bloody scary, it's not easy, but you can and will conquer this and be well again, believe me. When things get the better of you and you're feeling down and lost turn to us, we will always be there for you. Please talk whenever you feel the need. Take care of yourself and also be kind to yourself. Wishing you Love and Sunshine Always Kaza xx
                        Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day. ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr:l:l

Comment

AFM, I am very sorry that you are going through this. But the strength and love you have within you and the fact that you are AF and know how to care kindly for yourself well will play a big part in you coming out on the other side. Thoughts and prayers for you AFM..:l:l
                          sigpic
                          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Good Morning AFM,

You have the right attitude and spirit about this. Going in fighting and with a positive spirit....like a warrior. You will beat this.

Kaz, what a inspiriing and supportive post. Thanks for sharing this with AFM.

:hM3
                            AF Since April 20, 2008
                            4 Years!!!
                            :lilheart:

Comment

AFM I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis and I know exactly how you must feel, but believe me you will cope and go onto even better things, so please don?t despair or think the worst. I had a similar diagnosis recently; however I only needed a lumpectomy and am still undergoing radiotherapy, I am still showing abnormal cells in my lymph nodes and around the site but these are being monitored. Please PM me if you want someone to talk to, it?s amazing how many women are going through this and the success rates are very good these days, mine are 70%. It really isn?t the end of the world but does really make you rethink your life.

Take care of yourself and build good support systems so you always have a friend around.

Dewdrop :h
                              Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Working...
                              X