Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and Breast Cancer

Hello AFM, SO, Zen, Green Eyes, Mom of 3 and Dewdrop
    Happy 1 August to you all. Today is the first day of the rest of our lives, lets live it and enjoy it. AFM we are all here and more than willing to listen and share with you. So please come and talk whenever you want to. AFM you are a fantastic and courageous person and everything is going to be just fine, think good and positive thoughts and when the dark thoughts come, come here and vent to us, we are only too happy to be here for you, to listen, to care and to love you, so on that note, take care, be kind to yourself, think positive thoughts and Love and Sunshine Always. Kaz x
    Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day. ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr:l:l

Comment

Thank you for your posts, everyone. I cannot tell you how much I love and appreciate you all!

Tomorrow I have the pre-op and then on Wednesday I meet with the surgeon. The sooner they get this out of me the better!!

I am feeling optimistic. I know that Breast Cancer is nothing new. 1 in 9 women get it in their lives. At my age 1 in 247 women get it.

Let them lop them off! I don't care! The wait to see the surgeon has felt like a month already.

But, thank you all again. xoxo Also, sharing your experiences with me, gives me comfort. Thank you.

Comment

AFM: I noticed your post. As DG said, yes, my daughter is a little over 1 year cancer-free. She was diagnosed in the Spring of '10. She had a double mastectomy June 28, 2010. She was only 36 when all this took place. The docs don't know why she got it, as she doesn't smoke or drink (excessively), isn't overweight, exercises regularly, never had a miscarriage/abortion, breast-fed her kids, & it's not in the family. Nothing was said about a trauma to that area. She too had ductal carcinoma...my theory was that she had a lot of mastitis in that breast when she was nursing, but the docs didn't corroborate that theory. Anyhow, it was a roller-coaster of a year, but we all got through it...albeit forever changed. She chose a bi-lateral, as the docs said that her young age & the fact she had it in one breast puts her at increased risk to get it in the other.

My heart goes out to you. I know that just processing all this is horrendous. Feel your feelings...express them. No one expects you to be super-human. Please, please feel free to PM me if you would like to ask questions or anything at all.

You'll get through this. Stay sober. I'm so glad I did. I was able to rise to it all & be the mom & grandma I wanted to be.

Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi AFM - just checking in to see how you are doing..... as I said, it is the waiting that is positively the worst thing about BC. Once the surgery is over and you are having treatment, you will feel so much better! Do you have good support your end? Who is going with you? Hopefully you have someone to hold your hand...... Keep in touch please :l:l:l:l

Sun XX
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hi AFM,
            Just wanted to let you know that I too am here for you whenever you need a shoulder to cry on or an ear to bend. This totally sucks that this is happening to you but I know you will deal with it head on and with courage. You are one of the most courageous woman I know on MWO and I have admired you for a long time. You have a lot of support here and I have no doubt you have a lot of support in the real world as well. Please take advantage of it and don't go this alone.
            I will be wearing my pink wrist band for you sweetie. Please let us know what the surgeon says on Wed.
            Hugs from me and kisses from the paps.
            New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Hello AFM and all the other lovely people on this site
              AFM hang in there Sweetie, everything will happen very quickly now and I just know it will all be for the good. It's the waiting and the fear of the unknown that is so scary, but put your trust into a higher being (whatever you feel comfortable with), and say "What will be will be", and you know what, it will work out just fine, trust me. I've been where you are and I can only speak from experience, that is what I did and it all worked out just fine. So, my friend, try and relax and take it easy (easier said than done I know), but if you can calm yourself a little and think only of the good things, that will help you enormously. Take yourself, in your mind, to a happy place, a beautiful warm cosy place where you feel totally comfortable and happy and just relax - this has so worked for me so many times over a lot of unhappy, stressful and bad times, but it does work. Build in your mind, somewhere where you feel completely safe, warm, happy and comfortable. I take myself to a beautiful house that I have decorated in my mind's eye, it has beautiful polished timber floors, beautiful soft lighting, a fabulous view and fantastic furniture and accessories all of which I have picked in my mind's eye. It has a beautiful garden with garden lights throughout. I still add things to this home where I retire when things get the better of me, whether it's just a night when I can't sleep, or some drama that's happened in the family, or a stressful situation it always works. You are surrounded by so many people, family and friends who love you, that in itself is healing I am sending the pure white light (which is a healing light and full of love) to help you through this tough time - come on everyone please join me - it is amazing what we can achieve by doing this together. And AFM come back and chat to us when you feel you can. We are all with you and you have nothing to fear. Although you will not feel like that at the moment, I just know you will be safe and looked after and this is something you will look back on in the future. And you know what - we are all so proud of you - you my dear friend are a winner!! So on that note, don't forget we are all with you and will stay with you, take care, be kind to yourself and Love and Sunshine Always Kaz x
              Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day. ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr:l:l

Comment

Good Morning AFM,

I'm thinking of you today as you go in for your pre-op appointment. I hope you get an early date for your surgery.

:l
                M3
                AF Since April 20, 2008
                4 Years!!!
                :lilheart:

Comment

afm: I remember the pre-op appointment that my daughter had. It's hard, but at least you're on the road to recovery. She (& the rest of her immediate family) took everything one thing at a time. Looking ahead felt kind of scary. You'll get through this.

My daughter, Patty, is a teacher & chose to go back to school in the fall after having the surgery at the beginning of the summer. Her school system offered her a medical leave, & she declined. That was for the best for her. It kept her mind occupied to a large degree.

Keep your chin up. You're doing great. Don't forget that you don't have to be totally brave. Let others help you. Your kids are older & can understand what's going on. Patty's were 5 & 6 at the time, & while they knew something was happening, we didn't use the word cancer in front of them at all.

Take care of yourself. Get a massage, eat well, accept help, etc. You're going to need your strength.

Mary

PS: If I'm saying too much, just tell me. I don't want to be overbearing.
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Dear AFM, thinking about you. I have my pink wristband on. Thinking positive thoughts!!:l:h
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hi, AFM. Just wanted to let you know that I am here thinking of you too. :l:l
                      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and very sorry about your news. I have a cousin who had BC 2 times, the second time resulting in a double mastectomy and reconstruction. She's 3 years out now and doing great. You will beat this!

Comment

XOXO to you all.

I have pretty much kept myself together. The waiting is the HARDEST! Since July 26th it has felt like a month!

My anxiety is high at the moment; I was prescribed Clonazepam on Friday - but I haven't filled it yet.

I see my Dr. for the pre-op at 4:30pm today. I meet with the surgeon tomorrow at 11:15am.

I just want to get this show on the road!! I am staying positive, positive as can be. Plus, with your own experiences shared + those of people you know - I am feeling more and more optimistic!!! Thank you all so much for sharing!!!! I know of no one that has gone through this personally. So, it really helps with your stories to tell!

I am setting up Little AFM's care, etc... so that I feel 'relaxed' and know she is well taken care of while I have the surgery. Big AFM is almost 18 and she has been awesome; and mature about what is to come.

For those of you who have PM'd me, thank you very much. I will answer them once I get a chance to sit on the computer a bit more later on.

Much love to you all. Thank you all so much. Your support really helps.

Comment

Hi AFM - just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. Hope the appointment yesterday went well, and I hope the one with the surgeon goes well today.

My AA sponsor is also a breast cancer suvivor. I know she had to work hard to keep fear at bay, but she was declared cancer free about a year or maybe even less than that after treatment. She hooked up with a support group that she says really helped her. Just other people who had been through it and who understood. Maybe there is something like that near you?

:l

Will look forward to hearing about the next steps if you feel like sharing.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thinking of you AFM! Big hugs!
                              Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                              April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                              wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                              wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                              wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                              wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                              wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                              wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                              http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

AFM,

I just wanted to add my thoughts and prayers for you to all the others here.

My mom is a two time breast cancer survivor!! She got her first diagnosis in the early 70s, radical mastectomy, and again in the early 80s.

She is 87 years old today and still kickin'.

One of my dearest friends was diagnosed with level 3 cancer in 2001. She is still as feisty as ever. She showed me her reconstruction, btw, and it looks great. She has much perkier boobs than I do now and doesn't ever have to wear a bra again.

Keep us up-to-date. I am sure you know how much we all care. :l:l

Love,
                                Cindi
                                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X