Weekly AA Thread - Aug. 8 - Aug. 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DG, your memory is good. When I moved here in 1990 open containers were allowed.
    I am glad that I don't care about that issue now.
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

At the meetings I go to there is the perennial controversy of the "outdatedness" of the language of the BB. It isn't a problem for me, as I can translate the Chapter to the Wives" pretty easily so that it fits my situation.

I definitely wouldn't want to see the language in the BB changed. I know that "spouses" or "partners" is more PC, but I think most of us can make the leap so that the wording fits our situation. I just wanted to say all that, because there is sometimes complaining in the group...especially from the younger women...who feel that the BB is not current enough.

I'm doing OK. There's a lot on my mind lately, but I'm trying to use the principles of the program to get through them. I don't love being powerless over others. I know I am, but the control freak in me wants to control everything & everyone.

I just had to get that out.

Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Phil, I'm glad I dont' care about that stuff any more either. I shudder when I think of all the risks I took over the years not only driving while intoxicated, but drinking while driving, having open liquor in the car, drinking as a passenger (certainly illegal in IL and probably everywhere these days!). Oy. I'm a lucky girl that nothing bad ever happened considering the frequency and magnitude of the risks I took.

Mary, I completely understand your frustration not being able to control others - I get frustrated with it too. The tools of the program not only help me deal with it, the program helped me see that I even HAD this problem. I used to spend so much time drinking in frustration - and really didn't have a clue that I was trying to control others, which I cannot do, and hence my own frustration.

I'm glad to have the tables for learning this stuff. The longer I am there, the more I agree that the book is fine as is. I can adapt my thinking in the areas necessary (spouses v. wives, etc.) LOL from what I understand of the history, it was hard enough for the original founders and founding members to get a book together. I can't imagine today, with millions of AA members, what any editing would involve! :H

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Nobody that I know of has ever suggested updating the language that Shakespeare &/or Chaucer used.

From what I heard through the grapevine, there was a committee at the San Antonio convention which looked into the need to change the language in BB. It was again (I guess this comes up again & again) to keep the language as is. A good decision in my opinion.

M
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Well. I am SHOCKED there was such a discussion going on in San Antonio, and Phil & I were not asked for our opinion.

:H:H

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X