AF Daily - Saturday August 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi fABbies! I woke up early and was wondering about the hurricane so figured I would start the thread today. My heart is with all you east coast fABbies hoping you all stay safe! Yes - where is M3?????

Memories of the "hurricane parties" I attended / instigated while living in Florida make my skin crawl. I am so glad I don't live like that any more. That was dangerous and that is all.

Greenie, how is your paw?

How is / where is Marshy (hope your Mom is OK) and M3?

Lav, please the brownies!

P3 - are you going to camp in your basement today?

Det - you and Mr. Doggy would have a lot to discuss about preparedness. There is some survival forum he visits from time to time. Does that ring a bell? Wouldn't suprise me if you guys have crossed paths. Oh and you will like this one. There is a guy (good guy) in our dog training group who is a lawyer in terms of having graduated from law school and passing the bar. But he has a private investigation company with whatever licensing, etc. is required for that. He and Mr. Doggy have been reviewing certain State laws / licesning requirements for some various things with a net result that they could both legally carry handguns if they went through whatever procedures they have figured out. :H The funny part is mainly the effort they have put into figuring it out as neither one (or at least Mr. Doggy) is actually a particularly interested in carrying a handgun. Men.

Well, I better post this before we end up with 2 since I didn't "mark" today!

one thing is for sure..

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Hi DG,
    Boy you do get up early :-) Have a productive day.
    Thanks for all the lovely encouraging comments yesterday guys. They help so much.
    Yep, like DG I wish everyone in the path of that hurricane safe passage through it. Though I live in a windy part of the world, thankfully it rarely gets outrageously windy.
    Keep safe and thinking of you all.
    AF since 11 July 2011
    You can never get enough of what you don't really want

Comment

Moning fabbies!

As far as the hurricane goes, well... I'm haiving to run the lawn sprinkler. :H

My paw... well I'm VERY disappointed to say that it isn't better, well, maybe a miniscule bit but notthing attributable to a trip to the $ and a shot in my arse, any more than the passage of time would do. Still fat and knuckleless. Buggar. SUCH an inconveneince!

Det, I'd like to get on your gift list for a leatherman tool. Today I think I'm going to try to use a circular saw. That'll be a first. Maybe I'll like it as much as my chainsaw. An alternate form of therapy is always good.

Wasn't M3 gone for the week? As in getting back last night maybe?

I've forgotten when marshy was going to.... Amsterdam was it?

Kaz, have fun with your pool party today!

Lav I hope you have power to warm up the lemon poppy bread which I sure could go for with my coffee right now.

The peopleI house sat for in outer banks had to close up the house and leave.

The neighbors son didn't like the job and is coming back and picking up the dogs today. That's good because I don't think she was doing very well with the 4. ull

P3 is the party today? Amazing you whipped out the quilt in that time!

DG, you studdying all weekend?

Off to move the sprinkler.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Treya - I always love the peaceful easy feeling you portray most of the time. I think you are already flourishing in the sober life and I think that will just keep getting better for you!!

Greenie, how frustrating to still have the swolen paw despite a shot in the arse!!!!! :soapbox: Circular saw, huh? You are brave. Don't cut your swolen paw off!!!! I love my four dogs but I would rather....(trying to think of something IJMish...)....than take care of somebody else's 4 dogs.

I will do some reading today for classes. I love it and am so motivated - it doesn't feel like work. Well, the one class for dual diagnosis (mental illness + addiction) is challenging just because the text book is written for a broad audince including doctors / psychiatrists! :egad: But I love that one too. :h.

Tonight I am attending a benefit which I described in the AA thread. I bought a ticket to support it, and am also going to help sell raffle tickets and whatever else needs doing. Should be a fun night with some Second City comedians planned in the show.

I want world traveling Marshy and XNGF to come to the Windy City for a visit. Maybe someday. Will Chicago still be the Windy City after this weekend??????

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Morning guys - quick check in today as I'm running like crazy! I'll come back later but just wanted to say to all our East coast friends to stay safe!

One thing is for sure.......
          Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
          :h

Comment

Doggygirl;1169548 wrote: Treya - I always love the peaceful easy feeling you portray most of the time. I think you are already flourishing in the sober life and I think that will just keep getting better for you!!
            I DO TOO!

I forgot what I came back to say.......:H OH! P3 thanks so much for the tip about groupon!! I already got a discounted annual pass to the the river park that little doggie and I belong to and one for the healthfood grocery/deli I frequent. Love a deal!

Uni, I thought this was your last relaxing weekend at the cottage?

DG, have fun at the bene tonight! Bling?
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Greenie-excuse me for overstepping my peon bounds but I'm not sure using a circular saw for the very first time would be a good decision today. Your paw is not at it's best and most likely a little weak due to the swelling. These saws have a tendency to kickback very easily and you could lose your huge paw or worse!! Please reconsider???
              Glad you're enjoying Groupon! I've only bought that one massage appt which I still haven't used. I think i would love living in your town!! River park and cool healthfood store plus all the neat cultural events? Hmmmm. Any good colleges nearby that are looking for a very smart, competent and sweet papmom?

DG-so glad you are reallly enjoying your classes. Hope the momentum keeps up-it's a long semester so pace yourself!!

I just posted on yesterday's thread but no, no basement tomorrow due to flooding concerns. My north/northeast facing bedroom should be fine as the winds of Irene are coming from the southerly direction. Fingers crossed.

Yes, party is today thank god. It's still potentially an indoor party as rain is predicted on and off but there is a large garage/family room with huge french doors and I'm sure my bro has the front yard tarped off. Not sure how big this shindig might be-usually it's his party of the season so we'll see.

gotta run-dogs need feeding and I need to go get gas (and wait in line) and pick up the light stuff around the house as well as duct tape the downspouts in place. They say to sandbag ground level openings. Wonder where you get those here in the interior of MA??? :H
              New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

WAZZZZZ UP DUDES !?!??!?!?!

Jeez, everyone is up early!

Good Lord What a freaking awesome morning. It is absolutely beautiful. I know I sound like a broken record, but facing a day like this without being hung-over is just unbelievable. Lav you and all my other MWO friends north of the Mason-Dixon need to load up and head down here until Irene gets out of the way. I’ll show you some good ol’ southern hospitality and fix you some of the best beef brisket you have ever eaten. Promise!

Well, last night I was totally alone – Mrs. IJM was at the neighborhood pool, kids were out doing their stuff. I had a majorly stressful week (more on that later) and I passed by the package store on the way home. For some odd reason Al showed up in my passenger seat and was telling me stuff about how much I deserved a drink. He told me I could get a pint bottle and that would just be enough and no one would even know! He even said just this one time and then he would go bother someone else. Well I locked my arms so they would not turn the steering wheel. I got home, and there was Al, sitting on the couch, still talking to me. So I did my best to ignore him. I got on the computer, read a few MWO posts. He was talking in my ear so I really could not concentrate enough to write. Then at 8PM I did something radical. I grabbed my Robin Cook novel and WENT TO BED. Yes, I turned in at 8PM. Read until 10 and was out like a light. Short version is that I got up this morning and Al had left to pester someone else. In his wake was a beautiful day and a clear head and a great feeling. It is almost bring on an emotional high without the drugs to get you there…. Guys, this experience is something I just added to my personal tool kit.

I think that is what has my outlook on the day this morning on such an emotional high. Al showed up and I opened an entire can of Georgia Whoop A$$ on him. I won! And the prize I won is what I am looking at this morning not only when I look out the window but also when I look in the mirror.

Ok, I need to hear from M3 and some of my other MWO friends that are fugitives from Lexapro. As you know I am ? the dose that I started. I have really been feeling good and no depression at all. Well this week I noticed a change. I still have not experienced any depression at all – BUT on the anxiety front I think I have hit some all time highs. I was in two different meetings this week where I got totally off the chain. I chewed more butt than a vampire proctologist. In one of my meetings my boss was there and she had to give me the “take a deep breath and count to 10” comment. This has to be the decreased Lex dose because that is the only change in me in the past two weeks. Thoughts?

Finally, I have my 15 item task list made out and ready to tackle the weekend.

Seriously, for my MWO friends looking down the throat of Irene, PLEASE be careful this weekend. My thoughts are with you all.

The IJM thought of the day: I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

IJM

Comment

Doggygirl;1169548 wrote: Don't cut your swolen paw off!!!! I love my four dogs but I would rather....(trying to think of something IJMish...)....than take care of somebody else's 4 dogs.
                  Oh, I see a call for my professional services.... How does this work for you:

I would rather have a porcupine inserted violently into my rectum...than take care of somebody else's 4 dogs.

I'll send you a bill....
                  IJM

Comment

greeneyes;1169557 wrote: I DO TOO!

DG, have fun at the bene tonight! Bling?
                    :bling indeed! How did you guess! :H

ItsJustMe;1169580 wrote:
                    Oh, I see a call for my professional services.... How does this work for you:

I would rather have a porcupine inserted violently into my rectum...than take care of somebody else's 4 dogs.

I'll send you a bill....
                    IJM
                    That works for me! (I think...) :H Go ahead and send the bill. Your check will be in the mail......

GOOD ON YOU for kicking some AL ass last night. The more times you do that, the easier it will get and the less intense it will be and the less often it will happen. Are you still taking AB? (a good idea if there ever was one!) Can't help of course on the Lexapro question. I wish I could help you eat that briskett.

P3 - have fun at the party and be safe - keep an eye on the storms and don't get caught out away from home OK? PICS OF THE QUILT!!!

Hi Uni!!

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Good morning Abbers!!!!!

Dark, overcast here of course waiting for the arrival of Irene!
                      She's pounding NC right now & due to arrive here in the wee hours of tomorrow morning!
                      IJM, I can walk to the Mason-Dixon line from here!!!
                      Glad my daughter-in-law's parents got the heck out of Cape May, NJ. Of course they are packed like sardines now in a tiny house with my son & his family including the Insanity Twins :H

IJM, I hear you about the anxiety thing. That was my initial problem as well! If you leave anxiety untreated (like I did) you eventually become depressed. When I first went off Lexapro the anxiety returned sure as s**t!!!! So I ended back on Lexapro & was just a mess.
                      I researched & found the best option for me was to get on the herbal product I mentioned before (Amoryn) as I weaned off Lexapro again & it worked like a charm Look into something like that for yourself!!!

Greenie - no circular saw today :no:
                      I'm expecting 5-10" of rain tonight so there will be no lawn watering in my neighborhood.

Greeting DG, Uni & Treya

I'm kind of freaked out hearing that SEPTA will be suspending all services to Philadelphia & the 5 surrounding counties. I never use public transit but millions of people do.
                      I said it last night & saying it again today I am so grateful that I will have company tonight when Irene blows through here

I'll be back before the power goes
                      Have a good day one & all!
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

back after trying the ' just a few' routine - after 2 weeks of that I am feeling blue, ill,tired,fat - most I've had is 1 bottle of wine, least 2 glasses.But it's the wanting to drink and not feeling best i can - bottom line i feel better af.stopping the am i aren't i alcoholic in my mind - not helpful - stressful - i know one day at a time is better for me.

been doing food diary for healthy eating woman at work - she noticed i comfort eat and said i need to make big changes to make myself happy - alcohol is used in the same way. Quitting alcohol has always coincided with feeling better. Day 1 - no big plans - or drama - day 1 - ODAT.

Reading through old posts I have had success with 1 day at a time - if i think about the forever I drink again.
                        one day at a time

Comment

Boy there is a lotta peeps on here so far this mawnin. Lav keep posting, cause its scary watching CNN. Do we have any east coast canucks on here? I hope that this storm peters out before it hits the coast, and all my eastern friends in BOTH countries are safe, cause I read that the darn thing is 250 miles wide, which would include Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

IJM :H. That is all.

Maybe not completely all. Glad you let AL know he was not invited, and to take himself elsewhere. Those sunny mornings, feeling completely well are such a treat. I am not as knowlegeable as some of the folks on here but quitting AL after years of abuse does stuff to the brain, and anxiety and anger flashes can be really common in the second, third, etc month. Is it possible that this is just an AL brain recovery thing, and not related to the meds? This was the one persistent symptom i had from 30 days to about 80 days with less severity and frequency as time went on. (I am on no medication now, but i did suffer from depression many years ago and took paxil...and I noticed before i quit that i was getting pretty glum some days....) I read that head injuries do this too, depending on severity. and I have had both the HI and the AL. (but not as a result of each other, lol). Some pretty toxic anger flashes. I often was left asking myself...was that really necessary? Kind of embarrassing. Fortunately I can report that they are now pretty much gone. I am at 7 months or thereabouts. Starting to lose count, now.

So by all that blather above what Im trying to say is maybe the anxiety and vampire proctology outburst is a natural symptom of quitting AL and that it will decline with time.

Greenie, please yes do stay away from whirling blades until your hand is back to normal??!! Industrial First aid training states that injured workers should not compromise thier safety bla bla bla.:flush:

Uni, Pap Bear (well done Bear, the mod thing is a no brainer isnt it?) everybody have a great day.

I am off to weed and make potato salad and salmon something not sure yet. Not even tempted about the AL in the cooler out there on the pool deck.

kaslo
                          Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Welcome back bear! It's great to see you. ODAT is good, especially if that is what has worked best for you.

Are you still rolling with the new team? Any home improvement projects lately? What's new?

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hello friends,

Sure been thinking about my east coast friends. I hope you and your homes survive Irene! Here it is hot and dry. But my basement in still taking in water.

It sounds like everyone is doing quite well. IJM--these little (or not so little) tests are what re-trains our brain. Good for you for not giving in to Al's temptations.

This has been another hectic and stressful week. I've had some issues with an organization I belong to. I guess I will never get over people getting pissed and treating others like crap just because they don't get their way. I guess it's why I have a hard time saying no when someone asks me to do something. There is usually recourse. I get so tired of the martyrdom that comes with some of these groups. Once again the joys of living in a small community. Grr.

I postponed our trip to the state fair this weekend. Hopefully we can go next weekend, but it may not be the whole family. I could tell it was going to be a rushed, stressful event for me and I just refuse to go there. Really disappointed with #1 son right now. He thinks he is so responsible and since he is almost 17 thinks he should get to do so many things that are just asking for trouble. Yet, he finds someone to work for him so he can go play--and he's broke. He can't seem to grasp how to manage money, nor how much time and hard work at stuff he might not necessarily enjoy it takes to earn money. I guess I spoiled him too much. I hate it that he is lazy, and would rather his dad and I work our asses off so we can just give him money to spend on meals out and whatever else trips his trigger. I am pretty tired of arguing with him about it. I am going to try one more time to make him understand how life works as you get older.

I had a good visit with a friend last evening. We aren't close friends, but I've always liked this person. She has one of those happy bubbly personalities that everyone likes to be around. She confided in me her family problems and asked me about how I quit drinking. She says she has come to rely on the alcohol in order to deal with her life. I told her why I finally gave it up, and that I would help her any way I could if she wanted to give it a try.

DG--I haven't had time to look at any of your links, but I think what you are learning is fascinating! I have been to a few educational seminars through our coalition, and the science behind the addiction really makes sense. We are using it to try to keep kids off the stuff--why do that to your brain, eh? Someone mentioned the other day that senior citizens can take college classes for free. I am seriously going to check into that when I get there. I've always admired anyone that has the discipline to go back to college as an adult. I guess it would be easier without children--I think you will love your new career.

Greenie--i was thinking the same thing as pap and the others. Maybe it would be a good idea to keep the power tools in the garage until your hand is better--which I hope is soon by the way.

Well, I slept in a little too long this morning. I waited up for #1 son and then had so much shit going on in my head and gut I couldn't sleep--so i better get busy!

Wishing everyone a great sober day/weekend--thinking of you all!:h
                              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
                              X