Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily ~ Sunday Sepr. 11

Good morning Abbers!

Just wanted to start us up & promise to be back later.
    Praying for a peaceful day today to remember those lives lost 10 years ago!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Hi Lavande.
    Yes, absolutely we're all praying for that. Let's all have a peaceful day and below is an insightful look at what peace actually involves on a personal level from writer Peter Shepherd.

"Peace Begins in Your Heart

Current events have demonstrated a tremendous desire, on the behalf of
    perhaps the majority of people in the world, for peace in their lives. They are
    no longer satisfied with the mentality of political conflict, which endangers
    economic progress and human rights and freedoms. But most importantly, I
    feel that many people are now aware that if we want peace in the world, first
    we need to make peace with our own lives. It is human nature that needs to
    change, and we are capable of making such a transformation.

Our experience in the world reflects our inner state - yes, this is a kind of
    magic but that is the reality, the world is miraculous. I have seen so much
    evidence of this when I - or a student or client - have made a genuine shift in
    our belief system that resolves an inner conflict, then very soon our real-world
    circumstances change accordingly. We mirror our internal state - our
    resistance/fear and acceptance/love - in our personal life experience. As a
    group we mirror our consciousness in world events. It is our personal
    responsibility to become aware of our contribution to the group
    consciousness, to help create a better world for ourselves and our loved ones
    - which ultimately means for everyone."

I'm in so much agreement with him that what needs to change is the heart of each and every person on the planet -not just this group or that group. We're all in it together.

X Treya
    AF since 11 July 2011
    You can never get enough of what you don't really want

Comment

"Be the change you want to see in the world" ~ Gandhi

I am completely on board with the idea of a tremendous shift happening. Everywhere, for everyone, right now. We all need to be doing our part by working on awakening our consciousness. I mentioned some time ago that now (in an evolutionary sense) is not the time to be engrossed in addictions and altered states.

Busy weekend going on. Think I'm through with the drywall dust. Had a really nice AF Friday night with a friend - went to artist's reception show and then walked around downtown to fav resto for apps. Then wandered up the street to a swanky hotel in a beautiful historic building and took the elevator to check out the rooftop bar. It was just in time to catch a gorgeous sunset. Then we walked on up the street in the direction of live music we could hear - there was a jazz goup playing at the capital and people with chairs and blankets scattered on the lawn; so we hung out there a while. A couple in period clothing danced the jitterbug or something like that. Then we walked through the river vista area of shops and restos and nightlife and back to our cars. Last night was a birthday party and it was cool enough to light the firepit. There was a brief discussion about being AF among a few people including myself and another woman who is also around 3 years AF ~ but unlike me, she didn't try to drink again and that was discussed too. I've not done that very much - people that I guess are normal drinkers are curious about the concept of the difficulty of trying to manage intake and not being successful at it. The friend I rode with drank too much so I drove home and was thanked by other friends for doing so. This is the friend that I remarked that loosing 2 days to recover from one night must suck. Hummm... There is a memorial service this afternoon for a former employer. I'm glad it's a beautiful day for it. Think I'll go get a river fix now. Kaz, I know you understand what I mean by that.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

What a beautiful moring it is here in the Columbia Mountains of southern British Columbia. I can hear Stellars Jays arguing about something, and the rush of the river below. Greenie, I live vicariously through you. Oh how I wish I could have had an evening like that. I dont mind living in the middle of nowhere. But to drift from one civilized event to the next, laughter, music, discussions, that would be lovely. And yes I can see why you go to your river. I can admire mine from up here, fortunately, as there is a pair of two year old black bears making a nuisance of them selves, slipping up onto my pool deck being teen bears sent off by ma this year, to break apple trees and go trampling around in the tomato pots. They are SO black, blacker than a Burning Man night. And they are HUGE these guys are the size of a volkswagen each, about the same general shape until they stand up to peer at us, and weigh about 250 - 300 pounds a piece.

Too funny Det, re MWO camp, we could have a symbol that is a big glass and bottle, with a red circle and diagonal line through it. And maybe burn copies of Wine Spectator!

Lav thanks for starting us, Treya for quoting Peter Shepherd. To actually achieve peace, we have to go beyond inner peace, and agree to end war. Between Palestinians and Israelis, between Tutsi and Hutu, AND between the Princess Patricia Militia and Afganistani mujahadeen. I hope this day takes us all further away from war. Our collective countries are still engaged in a war, seemingly unending now, after all thats happened I agree, many people desire peace. I am all for all forms of peace. In the second world war my dad flew a Spitfire jet fighter and was for the rest of his short life disturbed by what he had seen and done, while my Mennonite father in law was sent to a work camp on Vancouver Island because he refused to go to war. Can we as a WORLD come together and stop it?

Thanks for all the kind words re arthritis. Its rediculous. My arm is killing me this morning, lol! My older brother is flying our here today to take us for a spin so gotta chop chop if i am gonna get the last coat on the deck.

Love to all Kas
        Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Hi Gang

Can I come back? Am done (yes, for the bazillionth time) but giving it another shot. Been spending more and more time in Last Chance Saloon and it's time to get out there and get my life back.

Feeling way better this morning after another good sleep and glad that I managed to ride out the withdrawals.

Later
          Bean

Comment

Hi fABbies!

Lav, thanks for kicking us off today. I haven't had any radio or TV on - I hope the world is peaceful so far today. I hope your son is safe.

Treya, I love that reading. I love the part about resistance & fear v. acceptance & love. I love the idea of changing what's in our hearts. I can't change what is in anyone else's, but I can work on what is in my own. And maybe then, have a light that shines in gentle influence.

Greenie - your evening sounds very fun! It really is interesting having those discussions with "normies." It is so hard for them to understand what the alcoholic compulsion to drink is really like. Mr. Doggy felt that compulsion with pot so he does get it. His best description for the "lay person" is that it's like having to go to the bathroom. You can hold it for a while, but eventually you are going to go to the bathroom. LOL - this subject comes up often in one of my classes where there are several of us in recovery who have "outed ourselves" and there are others who have never suffered from an addiction. I have yet to try out the "going to the bathroom" explanation. i will have to report back if/when I do. :H:H Have a mojo filled river walk!

Kas - I am so sorry you are suffering with arthritis. NO FUN. I have come across a number of people in the low carb community that swear by the type of dietary changes that Det suggested. Might be worth a try for a month or two to see if it helps?

Hi to all other fabbies.

I slept in 'til 7AM!! :egad: I've been going to bed later.....probably should get back to my previous schedule since I HAVE to get up really early a couple days of the week, and I feel better when my schedule from day to day for sleep/wakeup is consistent. My "turn in" homework assignments are all done - YEAH!!! So I'm reading today to get caught up on that - it's interesting stuff for my Addiction Counseling 101 class - so enjoyable not tedious. I also might noodle around on the library research site and try to decide on a topic for my term paper in Human Development. I'm thinking about something along the lines of affects of alcohol on the 'middle years' developmental stage. Something relevant to moi and also something I might get a lot of input about around here???????

It's cool having access to lots scientific journals and stuff.

One thing is for sure.......

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Bean! Way to go gal! I am off for the Slocan River this morning, as my eegit brother cancelled his plane ride thing. Weather. What kinda excuse is that!!

Yes DG and Det, have tried going off all grains, sugar and the industrial seeds, well, I am not an avian, lets just all agree to that. My particular Arthur, as I like to call him, is both hereditary and phenotypic, from a massive catastrophic car crash that damn near killed me and put me in traction and in and out of hospitals and GF strong rehab with many after effects for several years. And 30 years of heavy packs, dirt bags, shot gun shovel, and hoping up and down mountain sides with alla that crap. So diet helps, yes, and chrondriton MSM etc also helps a bit too. So does exercise and water therapy. I have done a whole year of no grains or sugar or seed oils. The risk to my heart from shifting to veggies and fruit, but also eggs, cheese, meat in order to offset the lack of grain is way more of concern to me than the swollen joints. There is a LOT of heart disease in my family, and I also have arythmia and was born with a tiny hole in my heart, since repaired itself, apparently (whew!) so I have to be very careful about what I eat. In general I think I am doing MUCH better now that I also quit AL. AL alone caused huge inflammation problems, and a bunch of other shyte as we all know. I would do the no whites and no grains/seeds again if I thought it would make a difference, but alas, the problem is systemic and it does respond to the other therapies.

AGAIN Welcome back BEAR!!! Yay! Attached files [img]/converted_files/1664333=6402-attachment.jpg[/img]
              Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Back again

Thanks for posting the Peter Shepherd writing Treya, very good!

Greenie, you certainly have had an interesting weekend so far
                Would you please send some nice weather up this way. We had a touch of it yetserday but it's gone again

Kaslo, I understand your dilema re diet vs. arthritis & heart disease.
                Have both problems big time in my family as well. Another thing I have found I cannot tolerate at this golden stage of life is a lot of raw foods. No way :eeks:

Bean, as I mentioned on another thread - go ahead & put your stubborness to work FOR you instead of allowing it to work against you! That's what I did & here I am today the proud owner of 'Lavan-ittude' :H

DG - not to sound like a smartass or anything.....
                When you mentioned 'middle years' developmental stage were you referring to the childhood middle years 9-12 or the grown-up middle years 42+? I believe I could write a dissertation on both groups & the relevance of (eventually) developing an alcohol problem on each of those groups!!!!
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Bean - X-Post! Good to see you!!!

Kas - have fun at the river!

Lav - LOL! "middle years" as in like....40(29)-50(29). Would be interested in your ideas for this paper - in particular any research studies you may have seen that would be interesting for me to dig up.

If I end up doing a paper along those lines, I also have the option of doing an "extra credit" project which can be a powerpoint or automated slide show or video just depicting those ideas. I definitely have my friends at MWO in mind for that somehow!!! :H Makes me want to do it just to come up with a plan to involve my pals!

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

OMG I am reading a summary chapter about the wide range of medical problems caused by AL. The section about Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders is just heart breaking. That is all.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hidy Ho ABlanders near and far!

ok, our symbol for Camp MWO at Burning Man 2012:

not sure but I think that's Finnish.

and our vehicle for 'cruising the playa'

I'll prepare gourmet fruit smoothies on the go, and back at camp we roast garlic over an open fire..... swoon.

well, it's relax-o day here at the Desert Inn. Dx and I are just hanging out and going to watch the movie 'strictly ballroom' in a few minutes. I can't believe she hasn't seen it! it's such a fun movie. yes, I like the occasional chick flick. don't tell anyone ok.

Agreed on war. war is hell plain and simple. I'm a lifelong combatant in martial arts and various shooting disciplines, and a huge proponent of self-defense, but the absolute gravest possible situation I can imagine (or at least near the top) is taking the life of another human. it's just beyond my scope of acceptance or understanding. The progress this world could make in medicine and space travel without the mindless consumption of warring is mind boggling.

all we can do is set the best personal example we can.

Great posts everyone, really enjoyed them as usual.

be well
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Bean! good to see you. withdrawals really suck eh? lets not do that any more! I know I'm done with that crap. hang tight.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Kas, I forgot to ask: did you do periodic bloodwork when you went grain-free and low carb? the reason I ask is that I've never heard of a case where the individuals lipid profile didn't improve on this eating lifestyle. the only apparent exception would be where one is actively losing body fat (which is very common thankfully) where there will be a temporary increase in blood triglycerides but that stabilizes after a bit. I'll post a link in the PALEO section about how the whole saturated fat scare got started in the 60's. it's really an eye opener and has little to do with science or medicine.
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Det - I love the MWO camp sign, and the vehicle.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Det - the MWO camp sign is perfect

DG - the physical & emotional changes of middle adulthood caused ME a whole lot of stress & I eventually turned to the wine bottle when my usual (healthier) diversions no longer worked for me
                              I think my whole life prepared me for what happened to me in my 40's.......
                              One stressor after another, non-stop regardless of how hard I worked to change things. I can really relate to these stress scales: http://cybermesa.com/~bjackson/Paper...lChapter15.pdf
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                              X