Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 1

My drinking over the last 2 years has become out of control. I started drinking everyday when I used to drink only a few times a month. There were years where I never drank at all. So, my first goal is to go Alcohol free for a month. I know I need to keep busy in the evenings and on the weekend. Will a month be long enough to see if I can be a moderate drinker again ?:new:

Day 1

Hi Shorty and :welcome:
    Stopping for a month is certainly the minimum time suggested for anyone concerned about their drinking. After a month see how you feel, maybe you will want to go longer before attempting to mod. The most important thing is that you recognized there was an issue and are taking action about it. :goodjob:

If you were drinking daily your body will need time to adjust so be kind to it, drink lots water, take regular exercise and eat well. Check out https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for some great tips and stick around here, you are in great company.
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

Day 1

Welcome shorty to mwo,you have come to a great community with lots of good advice and tremendous support,read as many posts/threads as you can and post here your thoughts and feelings in what your going through,We can all relate to what your going through as most of us have/are being there.Good look and remember give yourself a chance as you did not get to where you are today over night and it wont disappear overnight.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Day 1

Hi Shorty and :welcome: I can really relate to your post as my drinking progressively got crazier over the years. I was a daily drinker too before I stopped. I think you have made a great decision to go a month alcohol free and then take it from there.

In addition to the Toolbox already linked, I got a lot of help from reading the My Way Out book. I ended up deciding not to take any prescription medications, but I DID follow all the other recommendations for supplements, diet, exercise, and hypnosis CD's. I think all those things really helped me.

I hope you will read and post - there is a lot of support here and everyone understands what you have been going through.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Day 1

Day 2

Thanks to you all. I will take a look at the toolbox. I love to exercise so I'll be going to the gym after work tonight. I have the book and the supplements. I have not been taking them consistently but I will start today. :thanks: I will keep posting while I get this poison out of my system.

Comment

Day 1

Sounds good Shorty!!! I spent a LOT of time here when I first got started to keep my head in the right place!! Having a good "action plan" such as going to the gym can really help - especially if there is a certain time of day that is your "witching hour." For many folks that is 5pm. Whatever your "time" is - being engaged in a non-drinking activity is a great idea.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Day 1

shorty: Good luck on your goal. I found out that I cannot drink safely. As soon as I take a sip, I can't flip to the "off" switch. I just keep right on drinking too much. A month might give you an idea of what life is like as a sober person. Again, good luck. You might want to read other threads here at Monthly Abs. There's a lot of inspiration here. Mary
              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Day 1

Hi Shorty,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!

My weekend wine habit turned into a dail wine habit too - way too much!
                When I first found MWO & started the program I was pretty sure that I would try to drink moderately after 30 days. But something changed (big time) in my thinking along the way. I asked myself (honestly) if I was going to be ready for just a glass or two of wine & the answer was a resounding NO!. Everthing changes when you finally get honest with yourself

Wishing you the best & please drop in the Newbies Nest thread for more support

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Day 1

Hi again shorty. I hope you had a good day.

Lav, I was thinking about your comment about a glass or two of wine. First off, I NEVER only drank a glass or two of wine. Never. If I was forced to only have one or two - like at a luncheon or something - I was itching to get out of there so I could get home and drink more.

When I have an urge for "a" drink, I stop and think about it. I NEVER wanted "a" drink. "A" drink would not satisfy me at all. If I were to drink, I would want to just keep on drinking. And I just can't go there any more.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Day 1

Lav & DG: Same here. Never just one or two. I cannot understand people who leave a wineglass half full after taking a sip or two. What's that about? M
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Day 1

Just wondering if shorty is around. Hope you are doing OK. Keep comin' back no matter what, OK?

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X