Weekly AA Thread - Sept. 12 - 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All: I managed all 3 weekend meetings & am happy I did. Last night's BB story was me:
    -late to become an alcoholic.
    -afraid of AA.
    -loved ones finding me passed out on the floor.
    -finally giving in & admitting my drinking was out of control.

I still marvel at the fellowship. Yes, I've had to change my life around in order to give up booze. But, the fellowship has made up for any drinking experiences I might have lost.

I can't think of anything else. A dear friend is speaking tonight at the large speaker meeting. Looking forward to it.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

I'm bumping this thread up to the top in hopes that someone will join in. I haven't been able to get to a meeting since Monday. Two of my good friends spoke on Mon. It was great to see/hear them. They accurately described the wreckage of their lives. Alcoholics lose so much. It's great to see that they regained what they lost...& then some, as a result of being in AA.
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Good Morning, Mary and All!!!!

The following "Daily Reflection" is a good follow-up to your post:

"Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. . . . Life will mean something at last. Alcoholics Anonymous Page 152"
      "Life is better without alcohol. A.A. and the presence of a Higher Power keeps me sober, but the grace of God does even better; it bring service into my life. Contact with the A.A. program teaches me a new and greater understanding of what Alcoholics Anonymous is and what it does, but most importantly, it helps to show me who I am: an alcoholic who needs the constant experience of the Alcoholics Anonymous program so that I may live a life given to me by my Higher Power.
      "

Mary, I just loved how you put so much in your list.
      Late to be an alcoholic - That is me ; Afraid of AA - Me here, too. Thanks to you people here giving me the courage to try AA. Loved ones finding me passed out. (On the couch daily in my case). And finally giving in and admitting I am an alcoholic who cannot drink - Ever.

I hope to always be grateful for the quality of life I have been given since I entered this program. All of my previous attempts to quit only consisted of me trying to eliminate booze. It never occured to me to make any other changes and learn how to deal with life in a normal, healthy way.

Hope you all have a great day!!!!

HG
      AF 01/30/10

Look Back & Thank God
      Look Forward & Trust God
      Look Around & Serve God
      Look Within & Find God

Comment

Hg: Many thanks for writing & citing that reading. I really found God in the fellowship in so many ways. I too hope I don't ever take my sobriety for granted. Yes, it's so much more than putting down the drink. It's joining a community of people who are trying to live the right way. M
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi friends and thank you Mary for keeping the thread going this week! I can identify with things on your list even though my story is not exactly the same. While I found recovery later in life like you did, my alcoholism was brewing since my young adult years. But the destination was certainly the same. I was definitely afraid of AA. And it took me a long time and a lot of pain before I would admit I'm alcoholic and can't drink safely, ever.

HG - I love the Daily Reflections you quoted. The fellowship is so amazing. Sure - there are times when our human failings get the better of us - all of us whether we are in AA or not. None of us are perfect. We all make mistakes and say/do things that harm others. I thank the universe for AA where I am learning to be more aware of my short comings, and learning ways to minimize negative impact of my short comings in other people's lives and in my own life. I am learning to be a much more humble student of life.

I have a new sponsee. A young woman came to our meeting today and announced that she has to have a sponsor within a week or she is in trouble with drug court. My plate is really full right now with school, etc. But I looked around and realized I was the only woman there who is really qualified minimally to sponsor people. The handful of other women there today are all really new. I could have let it go by but when the meeting was over I just felt it was the right thing to do to at least offer a temporary sponsorship. Sponsees are a gift to me and I know if it's the right thing, the scheduling issues, etc. will work out.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG: I've heard it's easy to get burned out w/sponsees. I really feel that the onus is on the sponsee to do the calling, completing the assignments, etc. Good luck. M
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Mary and friends!

Mary - that is what I have also been taught - the onus for calling, etc. is on the sponsee. I think what can contribute greatly to the 'burnout' is the sponsor crossing the line, and taking on too much of the sponsee's "stuff." I am only responsible for one person's sobriety - mine. I do a disservice to AA if I go overboard and get too personally entrenched with my sponsees, then burnout, then feel like I'm not up to taking on the next sponsee who asks for help. It's a balancing act that I am responsible for, and that I ask for help with from HP and my sponsor.

And it's still a gift.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                Just wanted to say i made it back from my holiday The big change i notice inside myself was that when i got home that i did not feel depressed, or needed another holiday because i could not face the thought of going back to work or taking sick time of work. I really looked forward going back to work. I was a bit in myself because i never felt like this way before!
                I myself have never sponsored anyone, but am sure when the time is right, the right person will ask me.

Please if anyone reading this i have a friend who is in hospital in a very bad way from last sunday both kidneys have packed up his bleeding inside liver not looking to good, on a life support to him in breath not sure if he will pull through. :upset: I am close to his sister i had try to take him to some meetings, just need your prayers or thoughts would help.:h Thank you.x
                Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Working...
                X