Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Tuesday Sept 13

Up and at 'em fABbies!!!

Det - so sorry you are feeling blue but I am SO happy you fended off the beast. :b&d: Good for you! Did you eat some really awesome food? Be careful about Gary Taubes. He states his case with great authority, however there is a camp that believes he missed some really important things, leptin being one of them. I also think his theory about exercise is frightening. Maybe he's got some of the facts right on that, however taking his book at face value one would think there is no good point to exercise, and there is just a lot of research out there to dispute that. All of these guys are breaking new ground and I have learned that as with all new ground breaking, it's not always 100% right. My own personal experience does not fit 100% with what Taubes says (with authority). Just suggesting caution - that's all. I don't buy everything hook line and sinker any more.

P3 - so glad you had a good day. Let us know if the sit down with DD worked. :H 2-year olds? Are they really that mature????

Bean - boy I can relate to that whole mind thing....whew. Glad there is no need for THAT mental argument any more!

Water department corrupt as in $$$$. As one example, several years ago there was money provided (from the State? Fed?) for a lot of new equiptment - i.e. new water meters. A lot of the money supposedly disappeared into the hands of some board members. Typical political thievery. For years we got a monthly water bill and did not have a working water meter. (which causes more problems than just not knowing how much water you use - pressure changes cause water to move back and forth inside / outside the house in the pipes, etc.) Most of the time they would send me a bill for $30 - $35 and I would just pay it. Sometimes they would send a bill for $60. I would call. I would say "how did you arrive at this number?" And they would say "we read your meter." Then I would say "when?" Then they would make something up. Then I would say "that's impossible because our house is completely surrounded by a fence, so unless you are telling me that someone is climbing over the fence then you are lying." And then I would add "and besides that, our water meter doesn't work and it never has since we moved in here. So more lying." Then they would send me an "adjusted bill" and we would go on as usual until they decided to try it all again.

My understanding is that hundreds of water meters were like this throughout the district.

One day when we were going through this, some man got on the phone. He said "you cannot have your property fenced like that - we have the right to come on your property whenever we want." He sounded like the kind of mob dude that this water board is known for. That's when I said "Fine. I've been paying your water bills all along with no meter. I don't want free water so I've been cooperating. But since you can't possibly know how much water I'm using, I'm no longer going to pay for it until you replace my water meter."

For about 2 years after that I had free water. Now I have a meter. But it think the water pipes are falling apart out there.

So. That is how a water district can be corrupt, incompetent, broke, or all of the above.

OK - time for breakfast. Dirty dishes sure do pile up fast around here with just 2 of us. I'm glad I don't have 5 kids and no water! :H One thing is for sure.....drinking would not help this situation and I'm sure it would make it worse. I can make anything worse with drinking! So no thanks.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Halloooooooo fabbies!

I read everything about everybody! But I dont' have it in me to do a sandwich....OK, just a snack.

DG, I hate shit like the H2O company's stunts. I complained to the FCC about AT&T once and they not only quit threatening me with bills and credit reporting, they sent me money. You can't complain to some higher power? :H

GO DET!!!

P3, I'm so glad you landed on your feet after that upset. BTW, there is a uni here in this "famously hot" (but suprisingly cool) city.

Bean, awesome! That is all.

Marshy, what a perfect place for your mum's ashes. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at how that plays into your memories.

Kaz, have you tried EFT and hocus pocus for Arthur? Any more talk about moving? I feel your pain about the deck stuff. I spent August squatting in the shrubs rinsing paint brushes. I really should learn to paddle. River immersion.

LVT, I hope you find a comfortable place regarding your parenting decisions and the small community eyeballs. In the big scheme of things, I think we are not in control as much as we like to think we are.

Lav, I got you painting, now I think you're going to get me back in the gym! Fair play!

Uni I wish you easy success with the ins co and them parting with money for you.

Treya, what happened on 11/7? Or does that read 7/11.... Oh, that makes 2 months duh. Rock on!

Where's doglvr?

Jen, great job on last weekend!

IJM, LOVE LOVE the man cave!

M3, I'm excited for you in the yoga training!

Tally ho!
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hey abbers!

DG, I have had a similar experience however it was with the phone company - long story so not going to go into it here but suffice it to say we had 2 different providers sending us bills but we obviously only had one phone - it was a pain in the ass to get them to figure out that we were not using their phone service.

I still have not gone back to read everything so I'm out of the loop. I will today if I get a chance.

I am tired today and have decided that I don't feel like being a grown up today. Unfortunalty I have to finish the laundry so I guess I have to be sort of grown up! LOL - you know those days where you just want to be cuddling with a teddy bear all day with someone else to do all the adult stuff. How did I get to be a grown up? It happened too fast! LOL

I think I will go to the noon meeting today that I like. And laundry. And some homework. No AL - that is all!

Love and hugs,
      Uni
      Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
      :h

Comment

Good morning Abbers!

Running late here & I don't even know why :H

Greetings to everyone on this almost sunny AF Tuesday!

DG, that totally sucks about your water company. Time to call the well digger???

I'll be back later after my lunch out with my former neighbors - both nearly 80!!!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Morning!
          You always succeed if you never stop trying.
          Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Hi FAbbbies....hope everyone has a good day.

DG I confess I was fishing... I just knew you would have a great story to tell re water company...what a pain in the behind.

Greenie YES, try a little kayak, you would LOVE it. I have a light inflatable. But most kayak stores will rent you one or let you have one to try it out. Also its good to try different ones to see how you like the feel, as each boat type is very different. And. Pray tell, what the heck is EFT? I know what hocus pocus is, tried that.

Uni, dont know what to say about reverting to childhood. I guess I think that is what AL allows people to do a lot, its a theory I have.

Lav, get some tips from the 80 year olds while you are at it, will ya?

Jenny what exactly are you studying anyway? Is it an Arts Degree?

Det, yep thats an L series lens. :h I recommend it highly, you have a Canon, dont you? I completely understand being grumpy finding yourself 5 hours away, just when your lovely wife is finally home. I have travelled for my work to really remote places in the middle of FNW (F'ing No Where) for weeks at a time, and quite frankly, I am a bit tired of it now.

Bean....No I certainly did NOT see any naked men on a log during my excersion down the Slocan River, ... but then they probably saw a very dignified, matronly lady in a red kayak and very smartly put they pants back up on they asses! When do you jet for Britian? How you doin today?

If I am a good girl, and actually get some work done on stinky rotten papers in basement office, my reward is to sand down my old grey cedar adirondack chairs, and bench and stain them a dark cherry red color. Had the belt sander going last night, and when a mosquito bit me, I absent mindedly considered whacking it with the sander....sanding self /road rash mosquito kill would be hard to explain, don't you think?? :H Ummm, doc I turned the belt sander on a mosquito....

All you other folks, have a great AF day. I know the only belt I am having is a sandy one.

Kas
            Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Hello friends,

Quickie check in for me this morning. PHEW! I hear sighs of relief!!:H

Marshy, that looks like a beautiful place for your mom's ashes. I hope your dad, your brother and the rest of your family find peace with time. My BIL is having a tree planted, putting in a marker and putting Terry's ashes there this weekend, which would have been their 40th wedding anniversary. I am extremely sad I have to miss it. I have made 2 trips within a month down there, and just can't justify going again. I will be there in spirit though, and I like the date he chose, it is a very special one for him. Better than the anniversary of her death, and her birthday is in December so not a good option either.

My son talked to his coaches yesterday, and it sounds like he handled himself quite well. When he was done he shook his hand, told him it was a privelege playing for him and thanked him for coaching him and understanding his decision. I told him although I still have mixed feelings about the whole quitting thing, I was quite proud of the grown up way he handled it and said dad and I get some of the credit for that. As far as the other parents and community go, I think we will have some that understand and agree, and others that don't know the whole story will judge. It will be interesting, but I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not going to tell anyone the whole story. None of their business--time to move on. Anyway, there is tons of drama down in the elementary with a new principal that gives people plenty more interesting things to talk about than my son!:H

DG--no water sucks. Me, I have plenty of water--under my house. Send your laundry to me, but I will have to pass on the dishes.

Ok, I've got to finish my relish, clean up, etc., etc. and get to work!!

Have a great sober day all!:h
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

LVT,

I don't post much anymore but did want to add my worthless $00.02 worth.

If your son had a passion about football, he would have stuck it out. I have a friend who went to college and his coach benched him for two years as a pitcher. He stuck it out. He kept telling his coach he would sit on the bench. After two years, his coach had no recourse but to put him out there. He, my friend, went on to become one of the best pitchers the team ever had.

Does that mean I am saying your son did not do the right thing? A resounding NO.

What this means is that your son did not have a love for the game to stick it through.

I have a daughter that superceded and still does the six and under swimmers in my state. Did she continue? No. She wanted to compete in other sports. Swimming occupies your entire life. She wanted to do other things and did.

So. Kudos to your son for figuring out what is important to him. This was a pivotal point in life and he passed it with flying colors. I hope you are appropriately proud despite others in the community.

You and your son did well.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Morning all

A little grumpy this end and not sure why.

Maybe because I was talking to my boyfriend about how I've realized that I often project onto others things I think they are feeling and he immediately jumped in with "yes, you have done that a number of times". I told him that part of the reason is because when I try to express myself about something emotional, he often doesn't respond which leaves a gaping void that my creative imagination can really get to work on. Guess I just felt irritated that I seem to do all the emotional work on myself and our relationship and he kind of coasts along. I am giving up looking to him for support and will try to find it in other more reciprocal places.

Speaking of projection, I had to laugh when a friend told me yesterday about going through a rough patch with his boyfriend. Apparently the BF got himself so convinced that my friend was going to dump him (he was nowhere even close to doing so), that he went out and bought For Sale signs for the house and was about to put it on the market!!

G-man - thanks for that 'Family of addicts' link you posted. Some good stuff on there. I will check it out more thoroughly when I have time.

DG - i think a thread in Helping Family Members is a great idea though am kind of trying to focus on my own healing right now. If I was to try and put something together I can see myself getting sidetracked and that wouldn't be a good thing in these early days.

Kas - too bad you didn't see the naked men on the river but they were only about 18. Far too young for a 29 year old like you. I leave for the UK in a just under a month. I think i'll be ready by then. Trying to catch up with people 'one last time' is lovely but exhausting.

Kind of dreading the return as I have a house back there and in the last week the washing machine broke, the sink blocked, the electrics went, the shower temporarily stopped working, the garden furniture fell apart, the bedroom door came off it's hinges and then my tenants managed to puncture the freezer trying to scrape excess ice off. They wanted me to cover the cost of the new one. No way Jose. On an ongoing basis, the roof leaks and every spring I get rats in the kitchen. I think the place should be condemned! What say you all? I am very grateful to be a homeowner but sometimes it's too stressful.

Anyway...time to get up and out. Work calls.
                  Have a great day everyone.
                  Bean

Comment

Kelso
                    You always succeed if you never stop trying.
                    Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Greetings from the Starbucks at the end of the universe. really, I can't believe this little podunk outpost even has one. but I'm not complaining

DG, cautionary notes duly noted. I think Taubes relies somewhat on shock factor to gain attention but he's a really thorough researcher and I think he's mostly right. Most of my science I try to corroborate among several sources that have data from real world population studies. I'd check out Taubes podcast interviews on Robb Wolf and Chris Kresser for his latest research notes. some really good stuff.

Kas, yep I'm a Canonon SLR guy. trying to learn to take better photos and having fun with it. Have 3 L series lenses so far.

be strong everyone! if I can do it in the dragon's lair on the road far from home (and cranky about it) so can you!

xxxxx
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

hey everyone...Cross post with Det, framing and paying attention to what is in your shot is everything in my opinion. Love your photographs. LV, ive said it before, I think you are very lucky to have the kids you have. They sound like wonderful young fellows. To the extent that you can take credit for what they do and say, is hard to deal with n'est pas, because teens are not big on recognizing what thier parents have done for them, that comes later. Even my troubled daughter, in her better moments thanks us profoundly for the groundwork we put into her. And she will be ok.

Bean, yaz well even old men nekkid on a log does not sound to appetizing to me. I have a few standards you know. It sounds like you have a fun bunch of renovations when you get home.

Jenny, I sympathise re bio homework, ha ha. Have a biology degree and a toxicology/regulations masters degree. A big BLECH to both of those! And I can say with gusto that most of what I memorized back then is useless and a practicing biologist / toxicologist. It was interesting, though. What is your fave part of it? And whatare you going to do with it when you are done?

Well I actually knuckled down and designed the plantings and structures for a stream enhancement project this morning, so I HAVE been good, and I CAN run and play now with my belt sander.
                        Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Zooming in...

Jenny, I urge you to MAKE A DECISION that you are not going to drink AL this weekend no matter what. Then mentally try to move on. At least for me, deciding firmly was always WAY better than "hoping" things would work out. For me, hope was something AL used to prop the door open.

Kaz - be careful what you 'fish' for.

Bean - i was just musing - not suggesting YOU do a thread like that right now! :egad: Sorry it sounded that way. I was hoping G-man would do it! :h When it comes to figuring out the thoughts and emotions of those around me, the serenity prayer is my friend.

Greenie - I apologize that I forgot the sandwich warning. Oh - and that's right. I keep forgetting I have a higher power to complain to! :H

Hello to LVT, Lav, Det, Uni, Cinders, Treya, Doglvr, AFM, IJM and anyone I forgot and anyone who is MIA, etc. EVERYONE!!!!

Good class today. We watched part of an HBO documentary on addiction. A segment from an emergency room in Dallas that was pretty gory. I didn't realize that 50% of all "accidents" (auto, shooting, stabbing, falling, etc.) that present in ER's - alcohol or other drugs are involved. FIFTY PERCENT. That's a lot of avoidable accidents. And $$$$$ I was glad it was dark so nobody could see my face turning red. I was in the ER once with a dog bite from one of my own dogs. Alcohol (LOTS of alcohol) was involved and the accident totally would not have happened had I not been shit faced. Been there done that. It was painful watching a guy on a gurney who broke his ankle stepping off a curb. He was explaining in a voice I'm sure *he* thought was *fine* how he only had a few beers, and can't imagine how this ankle busting incident could have possibly happened to such a non-intoxicated person such as himself....... :H

I also discovered that I'm much more hard assed in my opinions about how to handle "people who offer drinks to a person in recovery" than my teacher is.

And with that, I am back to the books. Have a great evening fabbies!

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl;1177237 wrote: Greenie - I apologize that I forgot the sandwich warning. Oh - and that's right. I keep forgetting I have a higher power to complain to! :H
                            Erm... the sandwich was about MY post, not yours! :H
                            sigpic
                            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

greeneyes;1177263 wrote: Erm... the sandwich was about MY post, not yours! :H
                              Two samiches for the price of one.

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X