X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Sunday

Morning abbers!

I love unhung Sunday mornings.

Off to hockey again - the season has started, my daughter has hockey almost every day!

Bean - rehab really helped me. I've watched you struggle and I do think it might be the right option for you if you are able to go. It does really put a new perspective on things. I wish you the best.

Okay, I'm off, must call a cab (cause can't drive till december, one of my consequences of my addiction) and go be the cheerleader for our team!

Have a good one guys, I'll check in later.

Love and hugs,
    Uni
    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
    :h

AF Daily - Sunday

fABbies! Good morning one and all, and thanks Uni for getting us started! I have been meaning to say something about your daughter's hockey. I assume anything on ice is fair game for both genders in Canada, right? How long has it been that way with girl's hockey? Do any of our US fABies know if girls hockey is much of a thing in the US? (I guess I should wander by the ice rink one of these times when I'm at the gym!)

Bean - I'm thinking of you. Posted on the other thread in case you are looking for some extra :l and support.

Seems like Saturday was a busy day in fABland. I really really really enjoyed the Rally Round Recovery event yesterday. Had fun getting to know some new people during the setup, then I was free to roam. There were tons of "vendors" there - everyone in the treatment field. Made a couple of additional good contacts that I can reconnect with when it comes time to line up my internship. I also met an INCREDIBLE woman who now works for the manufacturer of Suboxone (a synthetic opiate used for a similar purpose as Methodone, but with some new conveniences as well as some new protections from street trafficing). Beyond just learning some interesting things I didn't know about an important drug addiction treatment component, we chatted for a long time - just had a connection. Our stories are so similar. She went back to school later in life after "wasting" her first round at college in a similar lost manner that I did. After he own wakeup call she went back to school and now has a maters degree but keeps taking classes and working and says "they can't get rid of me at school!"

I also spent a lot of time talking with one of the founders of our local "HERO" group which works to educate and advocate for law changes related especially to teen drug use. He lost his high school age son to a heroin overdose. He is a retired cop so no stranger to the "street drug" culture and how that works. He sees heroin use on a significant rise, even though the national level reporting hasn't caught up with it yet. (data collection, etc.) Heroin is truly no longer a "needle" drug and he believes it is quickly replacing cocaine (and also meth but meth is worse than heroin in some ways, if that's possible). It's a much cheaper high and now that needles are not required to get the high - look out.

One of the problems with drug use and drinking even, among the teens is that when they are partying somewhere and a kid is in trouble, they don't want to call the cops. This HERO group has been diligently working and hopefully a law will be passed this fall in IL where anyone calling 911 about someone who might be having a crisis (such as OD) would be immune from prosecution if they are in possession of drugs, etc. Someone dialing 911 right away might have saved his sons life and I'm sure might save other lives. Almost 40 people - many of them young kids - have died from heroin OD this year in my county. So anyway...I've got some "contact your representative" information to take to campus this week and help spread the love. They are close to having enough votes.

Anyway....that is my recap of a very awesome Saturday. I am so very grateful to be sober and to be having this new lease on life - waking up to each new day with enthusiasm and passion. It sure wasn't like that in the dark days of AL.

So one thing is for sure....I won't be handing my life back over to AL any time soon.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

I love Unhung Sundays as well. Heck I love having unhung days everyday!
      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

Good morning all!

I have one thing to say. It?s not a big deal. But just needs to be said?

60 FREAKING DAYS ALCOHOL FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap! I think I will go spray paint that on an overpass somewhere! I feel awesome! My liver sent me a thank you note yesterday!

Dudes ? I?ve never done drugs but the closest I can relate to a high is 60 days AF!

We went out to dinner with another couple last evening that are our closest friends. We went to a pretty expensive restaurant. They are known for their wine selection and also have a pretty nice bar. I drank my unsweet tea and had a great time. AL was not even a passing thought until later? I say later because I think I built 60 days up so high in my head that I dreamed that last night I forgot I was AF and drank a lot at dinner only to realize I messed up. It was so real that when I woke up this morning I had to set on the side of the bed and try to remember that that did not happen!

But I feel awesome this morning. I have a big day planned doing some more work on the man cave. Today I am installing recessed speakers so I have to run wiring in the walls and ceiling.

Have a great day and I?ll check in later to see what all are up to!

Take care!
        IJM

P.S. New countdown in signature updated to my new goal?

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

IJM - YOU ROCK!!!! That is all.
          Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

HEY HEY IJM!! WAY TO GO AND GOOD ON YOU!! and yes you get pink because pink is my happy color!! I think we've all had those scary dreams once or twice in our sobriety. It is very unsettling.

I sure wish I had a guy to come do some of that guy stuff in my house. I can fix toilets, paint, build simple things but I can't seem to fix my speakers (that are not run through the wall) or do simple electrical stuff. Guess I'll stick to bellybands and quilting! :H

I am one tired gal today. No motivation to do anything but read the paper and lay around. Got home from MD around 1:30 am. Very very long day but luckily uneventful. Yes, my friend did get her new dog. He's a very handsome tri colored, smooth coated BC named "Brass". Very sweet too. We got to seem him work some sheep and it was pretty impressive. I just hope my friend does what she says she wants to do with this dog and he doesn't go the way of all her other "working" dogs. Time will tell. The farm Brass lived at is just gorgeous. Over 100 acres, mostly soybeans. I guess I thought soybeans were grown in the midwest? Judging by the thousands of acres we drove by, MD and DE seem to giants as well. Anyway, this farm, in addition to the soy fields had huge pastures and paddocks and a huge "outrun" (I think that's what it's called) where the herding trials are held. She holds the only trials in MD. She has about 7 BC and 2 Anatolyean (sp) Shepards who all live in the gorgeous climate controlled outbuilding. Each dog has free run to their own outside kennel and they have a big fenced in yard they are let into throughout the day to play and relax. This is on top of working the 100s of sheep at the farm. She also has 4 house dogs-2 Jack Russells and 2 Boston Terriers. The house is comfy cozy and spacious without being pretentious. Filled with country decor. lots of secret gardens too and a huge pool. Then there are the farming buildings one would expect to see. We spent about an hour and a half there. i wish I could have let my guys off leash but I just didn't want to take the chance even tho their road was very long leading up to the house.
            I did fall in love with a small female BC who was just the sweetest and actually looked like my DD a lot. Oh would she make a good agility dog!! good thing she wasn't for sale!!
            I'm very happy to report that I still have my youthful road trip stamina as I drove the whole way down and back. It was about an 18 hour day.

So i've had a chance to catch up on things.

DG-so glad you had a good time at the Recovery event-sounds like it was lots of fun and a great way to network.

Lav-you still alive or has EB done you in?

Bean-get ye to rehab.

Greenie-I'm living vicariously through you!

Uni-glad the dreams didn't come back. You are doing so well. There is such an obvious shift in your thinking since you came back from rehab. You should be very proud of yourself to have finally turned the corner. You can handle anything!!

Kas- :l :l :l :l Hope you can find some solace in your gardens and on the river before the funeral.

Deter-read about the air show accident today. Horrible. I know you weren't there but I also know how deeply you care because it is your town. :l

Hey Drifty!

Where is M3? Who else is missing? my brain is still asleep!

It's very cool and windy here. I know I should mow the lawn but just can't find the energy. Hopefully after lunch and another shot of caffeine.....
            New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

Oh yes, when I got home this morning I went to the front door to get the mail and on my stoop was a pot of mums and a pumpkin!! My sis is absolutely the sweetest, isn't she??? I feel very loved right now as she knows I can't afford to buy those things myself and I miss them.

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

Hello friends,

IJM--YES IT IS A BIG DEAL!!!! 60 days is a huge milestone! Way to go and I am very happy for your family too!:goodjob:

Unhung is a nice feeling, eh? I wake up a little on the tired side--got to bed kind of late, but I know plenty of my friends are feeling like crap and although I am unmotivated today, at least I am not sick and debilitated! Yesterday was the benefit for our good friend with colon cancer. There was lots and lots and lots of alcohol consumed. I was tired, but hubby was going to be difficult to take home early, so I made up my mind to suck it up and try to enjoy myself. I still feel a bit awkward and out of place, but if I make myself get up and mingle, sit and visit with friends I never see anymore, it makes me feel very good. Especially in the light of what is going on with our sick friend. They raised probably around $30,000 with the golf tourney, meal, auction and raffle. But it's not about the money. It's about showing someone you love how much you care and how badly we want to help. I asked my best friend (his wife) if she needed anything from me right now and she said yes. You can make this all go away.:upset:

So, it was also a good reminder, that even though some of these people drink way too much, and some of them probably got in their vehicle and drove home, they are still good people inside. Maybe I need to be a little more proactive in spending time with some of them instead of being wrapped up in my own little world.

The evening got a little exciting when hubby and I almost bought a time-share week in Cancun at the auction. I'm glad now, we didn't know enough facts to fork out that kind of money.

DG- 40 overdoses on heroin in your county??!??!?!??! Holy s%$t!! That amazes me that it is becoming more common than coke or meth. Very frightening! Something I will mention to my sons again is that if they are ever in the situation where someone is very sick from something illegal--do the right thing and get them to the hospital no matter what!! The HERO slogan is something used around here as well. Here in our rural area, I think the main problems are alcohol and pot. My son came home last night and told me a few of his friends got caught at a party. He had been invited but chose to do something else. THANK GOD! I told him it was ok to learn from others mistakes and I was so proud of him for making the right choice. We had a good conversation and I'm glad he was willing to share this info with me. I hope the legislation passes in your area, then it is something other counties and states should look at!

I have a busy day ahead, making spaghetti sauce and cleaning up the kitchen. I also need to harvest more tomatoes and see what else is out there. Hubby did some picking yesterday and some stuff had gone to waste--but oh well, it is what it is! This week will also be busy with school Homecoming activities. Trying to stay calm and just enjoy the events. My son will be joining the cross country running team. Something new and very challenging for him, but I am so happy that he wants to do this. I had a good talk with one of the other football moms I was worried about judging us--and you know what? She was very understanding and supportive. Whodu thunk it? Unfortunately her son was one at the party last night. Ouch!

Kas-so sorry about the sudden death of your step-mom. Maybe sudden isn't the right word, but it seemed she had rallied a little. I still find it amazing that happens so much when people pass. My dad was so much better 3 days before he left us. I believe it is a gift from above.

Det-I had heard about the horrible accident at the Reno air show, then we saw it on the news. How awful!

Bean, I hope your family can help to support you and get the help you need!

Hello and cyber hugs to all!!!!!

Ok, gotta get busy. I skipped church and didn't make my kids go to Sunday school. I feel bad, but something has to give and this is something I can make up on our own.:h I know God loves us wherever we are!

Happy unhungness! :h
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

Papmom--crossposted. Wow, what a busy and long day for you! It sounds like that farm was beautiful! Too bad you couldn't spend a little more time there.

I wish I was closer, I would give you some of my pumpkins!
                  The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

I'm so scared. How did I become this person that needs outside help to deal with this?

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

Thanks LV and Pap, I needed that. There is going to be a memorial service, at some point, Helen didnt want a funeral. Right now I am trying to help her sister, who is very upset about the whole thing, understandably, because this was obviously a case of NOT helping an alcoholic recover, but she managed to beat AL herself. She is being very hard on herself right now. Thanks again. Kas

Congrats IJM. 60 days IS a big deal. Its a HUGE deal, and I am really happy for you and any one who happens to have managed to make it out of jail free. Attached files [img]/converted_files/1666826=6408-attachment.jpg[/img]
                      Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

Bean-there is no "that person". you have an addiction and as with all illnesses, it will hit some people harder than others. Admitting you need outside help is a huge first step. I can't do electrical work-I'm no less a person for hiring a professional to help me. Neither are you. Knowing our limitations is actually what makes us stronger so the quicker you realize this is bigger than you can handle, the quicker you will be on the road to recovery. We will be there virtually holding your hand as you walk through the door. You aren't alone.
                        :h :l Papmom.

KO the Beast!!

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

I can't face the day. My friends are throwing a leaving party for me this afternoon and I feel like crap. How do I get through this? I can't believe i have let things get so bad.

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

Being dragged away to eat -well I'm still in Eataly so actually I'm going of my own volition - if you know whad I mean! :H
                            BUT I JUST HAD TO SAY CONGRATS TO IJM BEFORE I GO. :goodjob: Happy 60th. See you @90!
                            (Be back later to read the other long -but- interesting -looking- posts!)

Treya
                            AF since 11 July 2011
                            You can never get enough of what you don't really want

Comment

AF Daily - Sunday

Congratulations IJM - 60 days is awesome. i managed it too once. Now it seems so very far away. Feeling such an abject failure today. I hate letting people down but I keep on doing it... Ugh. Misery.

Comment

Working...
                              X