Weekly AA Thread - Oct. 3 - Oct. 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil, that is an awesome story!! It seems things work out for the best when they are just straight from the heart. I'm sure you helped people last night. I love hearing about your sober travels - showing us it CAN be done. Again and again.

I spoke tonight at the Saturday Night Open meeting. I ended up taking only one notecard up to the podium with me - the note that is in my sig line right now. Life is 10% what happens, and 90% how you deal with it. My message was very simple. I used to spend my 90% trying to use alcohol to deal with life. It didn't work - and worked less and less over time. After I stopped drinking, I still didn't have effective means for that 90% of life which is "how I deal with what happens." AA has been such a gift in that regard. Giving me a way to handle what life sends my way.

I shared that I am in school now. I squandered my first college opportunity always putting AL first. Yes, I got decent grades and a degree. But I never found anything to study that I felt passionate about. AL was my only passion and what a lousy lover he is! I feel like NOW is my second chance and I'm loving it.

There were a lot of women at the meeting tonight that I hadn't met before. During the comments at the end, it turns out that several of them are also back in school as older college students - having done the same thing I did the first time around. It was very inspirational to find out that in yet another life adventure, I am not alone.

I really love AA.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Grat story Phil - and DG
      Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

DG, good on you. It is a blessing for me to know all of you.
        Love and Peace,
        Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...
        X