X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October Opportunities - Week Two

You are not being a crybaby :no:

Are you being picked on? Absolutely YES! :H
    All I can say is that this shit will stop & it will be someone else's turn.
    Hang in there baby :l
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Just throwing a question out there...for Pap3 or whoever??? Do you believe that people are blessed with "luck"?? Or have better luck than others?? Just curious....my family often gives me a hard time for having such horrible luck!! They'll say things like.."If it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all!" And I always think...what do I do to bring it on??? Is it karma??? I must have really pissed off the karma gods in another life!:H Not even sure I believe in all that...just askin'.
      Pap3--I don't think you are being a baby either...I think sometimes "life" really tests us....I don't know if it's to see how much we can handle or so we can prove to ourselves just how strong we really are....either way, I KNOW you'll come out on top!! You are a very strong woman I admire very much!! :l:l
      SD
      "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

6/18/11--7/3/12
      7/29/12

Comment

Bad morning for me.....

I went out to dinner and had three drinks....blacked out....feel horrible physcially, and the shame and guilt are out of control. I had been kind of angry all day about a lot of little things and stupidly decided, why not. Big mistake. Nothing has changed, I just don't have control, don't get anything out of alcohol. Why, why, why. No one is more upset than me, I figured I had to let everyone know as I am back to day 1. So, I know now, more than ever, that I have to be really serious about total and complete abstinence, no matter what. Sorry if I have let anyone down, please know that I am right back to committing to being AF.

I am planning my week out to make sure I am busy, writing up a card to keep with me to remind me of positive reasons to live my life AF. Good diet, exercise daily, and being totally honest with myself if I start to feel moody. I have been so irritable with the hot flashes, but that is no good reason to let it control my life.

This is a hard thing to post. I often think of people who used to be on our site who are just gone and wonder if they went back to drinking. I hope not, it is hell.

To day 1, AF.
        Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Good morning October friends!

Star, I am sorry.
          I have just mentioned in the Newbies Nest that once we take drinking as an option completely off the table life truly does become much easier. That decision frees up a lot of head space that we then can fill with better stuff. Take care of yourself today & stay positive :l

SD, I have never considered myself a lucky person, really. I've watched myself have to fight & claw for the things that just seem to come naturally to those around me ~ if that makes sense. I am coming closer to believing in karma & that we receive what we put out there. Reading Chopra's 7 Laws of Spirituality has gotten me to thinking differently

Well, I am aching from head to toe today ~ yesterday's chicken coop cleaning was a bit brutal on this aging bod :H
          At least it's clean & fresh in there again & I'm sure the girls appreciate it - well at least I hope they do

Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

I can only quick post as I'm heading out to the lake to help my dad lock things up! I just wanted to write to Star...:l I'm sure you have all kinda of guilt and shame going on but try to sqwoosh that it only will make things worse...and I think thats how the "cycle " starts again. You are human...and I'd be lying if I say I never thought about drinking or if I would ever be able to do it again, or even I wonder what 1 drink would feel like....I guess I'm assuming those are normal thoughts??? I know you said you were back to "day 1" but I feel like those words negate all the positive you've done so far...can't we find a different way to describe a slip? I don't see you as being at day 1.:l:l Try not to be too hard on yourself...we are all learning together!:groupluv:
            SD
            "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

6/18/11--7/3/12
            7/29/12

Comment

Evening guys

Star - :l Please dont beat your self up, the best part about this slip up is that its over, finished, in the past! Now is where you are and you know the important signs to watch for. Please remember we are human beings and not perfect but we are learning and you have come so so far.

I over indulge so much these days in junk food, namely chocolate and I go through the same patterns I did with the booze. I binge and then regret it! Its insane but i do it. Today I ate a family bag of potato chips then 3 small chocolate bars. I know I will feel crap tomorrow with a sugar headache. aaahhh! Anyway, the point is I will
              get to the stage when enough is enough (soon I hope!). But there is no benefit in giving myself a hard time, I already know Im not doing myself any good. But I guess Im still ahead of those who binge eat and never feel any remorse and who cause serious damage to their bodies. Im learning and will get there, be kind to yourself.

SD - I am not a fan of the word "lucky" and try to never use it. When anyone is facing a challenge I alway wish them strength or sucess rather than luck, luck always sounds like they have no part to play in it and I believe we have a part to play in everything. Yes we can get dealt very tough circumstance but how we deal with them is our choice.
              You will meet someone who's house has burnt to the ground with no insurance who will tell you their life is over and everything is stacked against them. Someone else will tell you that it was the best thing that ever happened to them, as it made them realize what the important things were in their life, like family, loved ones and their health and how its made them appreciate every single thing they have.

The golfer Gary Player make a great quote when someone said how lucky he was to keep winning, he said "yes its amazing how the more I practise the luckier I get".

Dont buy into anyone telling you that you bring bad luck, we get what we think about. Keep positive. If anything, we can make the hard times less hard by staying upbeat.

Lav - The Seven Spiritual Laws is my fav Chopra book! I once went on a silent retreat, we could take one book and I took that one. Its special to me for that reason.

I went to a double spin class this morning then my Sisters came over for the afternoon(bringing all that junk food ) it was fun but the day has gone too fast and I cant believe the weekend is nearly over! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday guys and bring on Opportunities week 3!
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

I think I have found where I belong. This forum is the place to be. I've got my plan written down, laminated and in my wallet along with words of wisdom and special song lyrics. I should get a walk with the kiddos in before a winter storm comes in tomorrow, but can't get away from Gymnastics and Football on the tube right now, LOL!! I'm with my family, that's all that matters!
                Living life to the fullest.

Comment

Morning everyone,
                  Star, hang in there. In my opinion you're not back to day one. You've been experiencing a lot of spiritual/emotional growth over the past few months. Drinking 3 drinks one night doesn't discount or negate that growth. In AA many think emotional sobriety is much more important than just not drinking.

About luck, part of my "program", spiritual path I find myself on these days involves thinking about or writing down gratitude lists. Given my long history of alcoholism, I have accomplished and been blessed with a lot. My DUI got to this place I am today. I needed the rug pulled out from under me. Doesn't feel like bad luck.

Chill, I went to a spin class yesterday, haven't been to one in over a year. It was grueling, especially when you're and rising up and down, on and off the seat. Only running feels like an equally intense workout.

Beautiful day here if you like cloudless skies and 80 degrees. Come on weather gods, if half way through October.

Comment

Sped - Im so very grateful I found spinning and cycling, in my younger days I was a runner and with my arthritic feet I cant even walk very far these days. How wonderful to find that because of the little impact of cycling I can do it without pain! (how "lucky" is that )

MtnMamma - :welcome: to MWO.
                    When I 1st quit I carried around little cards in my purse with phrases like "DRINKING=DEVASTATION" "there is never such a thing as just one drink.." "Eureka! Im Free!" "NEVER doubt your decision to quit" "I never saw a drunk I was impressed by" etc etc
                    Well done on writing down your plan. What are the song lyrics you have as your special song? For me it was Amazing Grace.
                    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                    AF - JAN 1st 2010
                    NF - May 1996

Comment

Peter Gabriel, "Don't Give Up"

don't give up
                      'cos you have friends
                      don't give up
                      you're not beaten yet
                      don't give up
                      I know you can make it good

I just love this song.:h
                      Living life to the fullest.

Comment

Star big hugs to you :l:l you haven?t failed or let anyone here down at all, don?t leave because we are here for the same reason and I know it could be any one of us at any time, and we need to support each other through the good and bad. Also, don?t think of it as starting Day 1 again, think of it as another day on your journey. Remember when I drank one weekend after nearly 7 months AF, well at the end of my year I counted it as having 363 AF days out of 365, now you have to agree that?s a bloody good achievement in anyone?s book. I know some others would disgree (on the counting days) but it's how you feel that's important. Yes I made a mistake but it wasn?t the end of the world and I learned a lot from it. The trick is to not let it spiral out of control but to get straight back up and on with life.

SD nearly 4 months already where has the time gone? I know that feeling of falling asleep on the couch on a Friday night ? I guess you are not alone there, but sometimes it?s what we need and a good way to recharge the batteries for the weekend. On the work front I think expanding into private practice would be something to really consider. Is it something you could start while still working fulltime, maybe initially with a couple of clients? What have you got to lose by investigating, right ..... I?m still pondering your question on the luck/karma situation and I?ll come back to you on it because it has really made me think.

Chill I made soup too on Saturday, lentil with carrots and butterut squash, yummy if I say so myself. Sorry to hear you are struggling a bit with the weather, to be honest I?ve thought it?s been pretty good these past few weeks but maybe it?s more different than I thought on the other coast. I guess you will tackle the junk food when you are ready but we do have to have a few indulgences too and you also balanced them with a double spinning class !! Papmom
                        more :l:l my goodness you bounce from one thing to another these days and I do feel it has to turn around for you soon. I know you will sort out the whole insurance thing the best way you can, you are such a practical person you will already be sorting through the logistics of it all in your head.

Sped
                        ? lovely to hear from you and isn?t it great to be nearly at 4 months already, the volunteering at the homeless shelter sounds such a positive thing to do with your spare time. Do you miss the travelling for the substitute job? I know you really enjoyed your trips, the differnt weather and spending the time with your son. You are so right on the time marching on comments, none of us are getting any younger and I guess the key is acceptance.

I?ve had a lovely weekend, it?s been busy and I?m tired so I?m off for a soak in the bath and an early night - I?ll catch up with you tomorrow and tell you all about it.

Dewdrop :h
                        Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

:welcome: to MntMomma - you've found a great place! The best thing you can do is have a good plan and keep refining it. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Dewdrop :h
                          Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Glad to see you here MtnMomma
                            Most of us have been friends here for a long time - happy to have you join us.

Star, I was hoping you'd check back in today, especially if you need a hand or a hug :l

I have just run around & closed all my windows. Yu can definittely feel a chill coming on & I don't mind a bit after the hot, rain drenched summer here

Wishing everyone a good night!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Very quick check in here after a long exhausting day.

Wanted to make sure I gave Star a big warm :l Everyone looks at this journey differently. For me, being as competitive as I am, I would have to go back to day one but that's just me. You need to look at this slip however you can but make sure it helps you grow in your sobriety, not set you back. No one here is feeling let down, just very concerned for you. It is a learning experience and as long as you learn from it, then that is all that matters. :l :h

My brain is mush, my ribs are sore from where i hit the steering wheel so I am calling it a night and will check in tomorrow nite hopefully.

Love you guys and :welcome: Mtn. Momma-you'll love it here!!
                              New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Good Evening From Atlanta, Georgia, October Friends!

I know, I know....traveling, again! I'll be home on Wednesday and I don't have to fly out again until October 31st. :yay:

Wow....where do I start....this has been a busy thread....thoughtprovoking, happy, sad, challenging and always, a place where we can truly be honest with each other without fear of judgment.

Star:l.....I absolutely agree with people here who say you are NOT back to Day 1. Just like Dew said, you had many months of AF and you had 3 drinks....it was not an all day binge. This happened once before and I always admire you for going back to being AF. Let us down? Nope. You've never let us down. You're a venerable voice on this thread....well-loved, and admired by your friends here. Please don't go away. Also, I have been thinking about this all day today....if just 3 drinks makes you pass out and feel horrible, then you have a very, very low tolerance for alcohol. It sounds like your body has an aversion to alcohol....almost like an allergy. Please don't be so hard on yourself. I hate to see you sad.

:welcome: MtnMomma! We're glad you're here with us. Do you care to tell us about your journey?

Shelley-Hey there, woman! Great to see you. You sound like you are so at peace and I am so glad! So your husband is a mathematician? Wow, and all 3 three sons have at least master's degrees, right? What a bunch of losers!:H Just kiddin'. You're coming up to your fourth month, too! Fantastic! How do you like volunteering at the homeless shelter? Do you find it rewarding?

Papmom-aw, sorry about the fender bender! Please see a doctor to make sure you're ok. I thought of you yesterday...I saw a couple walking with their 11-year-old Papillon, "George." He was soooo key-uuuuuute...big floppy ears and beautiful brown eyes. I also read on The Daily Thread about what you are able to enjoy because you're AF. My gosh, I cannot fathom all the things you accomplish in one day. Makes me feel like a total slouch. HAHAH!

SD-thank you for the question on luck...well, that's a tough question to answer. I think we make our own luck much of the time by the choices we make. However, I think everything happens for a reason. Although I am not an every week churchgoer, I am a faithfilled person and I believe God has a plan for everyone. I see it in my own life. When negative circumstances happen to me, I learn later why they happened to me....it was for me to learn. And I did. Now, there are situations that have nothing to do with our choices. I think of our Dewdrop here. She had cancer. Was it her choice? No...it was the luck of the draw. Some people are fortunate enough....or lucky enough....to never have life-threatening illnesses. I can't explain it. All I know is that Dew has been a model of strength for us here.

Dew-your traveling schedule sounds horrible, too....I HATE HATE HATE flying home late on a Friday night. Do you mind telling us what you do for a living? I don't think I've ever known. Yes, starting your own business sounds like a great idea. And your soup...yum....bona fide Comfort Food. Please post it in the Recipe Corner.

Chill-I love your living room....it's so clean and bright. I think it's charming. I chuckled when you told us about eating the potato chips and the candy bars. Potato chips and french fries are my favorite pig-out foods. I pigged out on Creme Brulee Cheesecake today. oink oink. I loved every bite. hahahahahah!

Lav-I'm having a ball picking out Christmas and Baby gifts. I have to remind myself that the Christmas gifts are for OTHERS, not for myself. So far, the tally is....Rusty 2....OTHERS-ZIP! I keep forgetting to tell you this, Lav. I read on The Daily Thread that you told YB that you lost 2 lbs with Curves (GREAT JOB, BTW) and his response was like, "so...what's so big about that?" And then you asked him what size he was last year and he was a 1X, and now he's a 2X...awesome response....had me laughing my head off. Um, do they make a 3X?

Ok....on a lighter note. Get this....last Wednesday, my client told me that his 19-year-old cat had seriously hurt himself, and when they took kitty to the vet....while they were patching him up, they found out he had HIV! I asked my client if he is now confining his philandering cat to the house since he's HIV positive. He said no, and I said, "Great, now he can infect boatloads of other cats, dogs, and small sheep, too, because he's a whore." I said, "What is your cat's name, Magic Johnson?":H For our friends in Europe, Magic Johnson was a professional basketball player in the US who was diagnosed with HIV several years ago. He said in interviews that he contracted the virus because he has slept with over 1,500 women. Yup, 1,500.

Rustop-how are you doing with Weight Watchers? Are you still going? Does your daughter like university living?

Well, I've had a great weekend. Yesterday, I went shopping and out to lunch with my SIL, and then decorated my condo for Halloween. Today, I walked around the Atlantic Station area of the city, which is the shopping and restaurant district. I've had a ball all weekend. Now I'm broke. Good thing I work.

To anyone I may have missed....have a great AF night.

Comment

Working...
                                X