X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Thursday October 27

DoggyG...

Here's something that might fit the bill:

Karluk Manor project to begin housing chronic alcoholics: Anchorage's homeless | Alaska news at adn.com

This has kicked up quite a stir here. Especially in the already 'bad' hood where this facility is located.

Personally...I'm for this. We have so many homeless alcoholics who freeze to death each winter. It is tragic.
    Sober for the Revolution!
    AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

:H DG,
      Maxie has 'rescued' many escaped chickens for me. She doesn't exactly herd them though.......... she grabs them in her mouth & walks back into their yard & spits them out :H
      She has never hurt one but she does scare the hell out of them!!!!

Here's the FB page for HRC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harm-Reduction-Coalition/207625332587706

I'll be interested to see what my DIL learns about this in her social work studies
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

ahoy mateys on the good AF Ship!!!

got an early check-in to my hotel tonight so I can do some relaxing, exercising, emails and catch up with you loves

Doggygirl, you are one bundle of energy! xxxx

Greeneye, I'm hoping for a deluge of hippies to descend upon your part of the world. Hair be freeeee!

Lav, you have some talented poultry!

Turn, I'll look for you on chat periodically. you'll be just fine!

yesterday was a very thought-provoking time for me. work took be right through the main street (hw 29) in the town of Napa. I passed literally dozens of wineries that I've contributed thousands of dollars to thanks to my former habit. and I passed very slowly (traffic was bad) by at least 60 signs begging 'come in, FREE tastings now'. egad! I just shook my head and kept driving. it was annoying but mostly weird. the striking thing was how absolutely beautiful the countryside and mansion/homes are in that town. I mean drop-dead gorgeous. in front of the Berringer Cellars the road is totally enveloped by these huge trees that form a tunnel of greenery that was glowing majestically in the afternoon soon.
        there were impatient drivers honking at each other to get into the parking lots for the tasting rooms, scowling at each other and driving like desperate idiots getting to their next fix. They were oblivious to the wonderful land that they were in. so sad. Even sadder is my memories of years past when I was in some of these very rooms. my wife tugging my arm and saying: honey, don't you think that's good enough? we should get going. and me arguing for the next glass. then the next. Alcoholism made me a selfish boor and I couldn't even see it. sigh.

I'm soooo glad not to be there anymore! whew!

be well my friends,
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi Det,
          I have been to the beautiful Napa wine country ~ even had lunch on the 'wine train'.
          Don't think I could go back there anymore

I just wanted you all to know since the holidays are approaching I'm stitching up my favorite sweatshirt design :H
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Det...you did great by taking the old way....holding it at arm's length....and taking a hard look at it.

I think the whole Napa thing is hard...it represents the beautiful aspect of wine and winemaking...not the ugly underside of alcoholism. I was like you at wine tastings....damn...they never served big enough portions for me! And really, after the first glass, it was a waste to put a nice wine down the gullet. I just wanted to get drunk.

We are pickles. We will never be cucumbers again. That's just the way it is. I'm a pickle that's content to stay out of the pickle juice now.

I'm not sure if I'll be on chat until LATE.....maybe around 9 my time....10 yours....(you're in CA tonight, right?)

Thanks for the encouragement for helping me proactively deal with this trigger day. So far so good. I'm getting a lot done in my hyper busy state. I should have triggers more often!
            AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Lav....I love the design...is that available on your ebay or esty site?
              AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

I haven't put that one on ebay because I'm lazy.......maybe I should! I've been using that design for years & everyone seems to like it
                Glad you are doing OK tonight!!!
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav, that's awesome! ya, where are they for sale?

Turn, I'll probably still be up. I'm going to sleep in tomorrow a little bit
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Joining late but still joining

Sorry for not reading the thread, but I'm trying to get this in before midnight. I'll be less selfish tomorrow and hope you'll have me.

Today is the start (over) for me and I'm looking to make an AF commitment.

Comment

Hi lodestar! :welcome:!!!! Pull up a chair! I want to be AF too and this AF Daily crowd is some awesome support for that.

Thanks Turnagain and Lav for the web links!! :yougo: Those are both awesome resources. I "liked" the FB page and hope to dig around there later today. And that newspaper article was great not only for the article itself but also the comments.

I'm thinking I will start a thread in General and give those two links and examples of "good stuff" and see what else turns up. Team effort is usually better than individual effort!

Det, I too remember with a big cringe the wine tasting days. I was always trying to figure out how to get my hands on about 385438967 of those teeny little sippers. Good wine was really wasted on me. Or I was really wasted on cheap wine. Something like that.

I'm a pickle too.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X