Weekly AA thread - Oct 31 to Nov 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings. I could not stand the thought of Mary logging in from wherever she is and NOT seeing the AA thread. So here we go.
    Have a great sober day, if that is your decision for today.
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Hi Cpn,
    Wishing you a great sober day too!
    Mary - hope your holiday is going smoothly and that where ever you are, you are feeling strong and serene.
    Hello to everyone else too. Have a good week.
    Amelia
    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Phil - thanks so much for kicking things off! Mary - hope you are having a fabulous time!

Went to drug court today with sponsee. That was my first time there - what an interesting program. I know all of them don't make it through, but what a great alternative to have a lot of support getting your life together rather than rotting away in jail or prison. I decided to let sponsee introduce me to the judge as her sponsor. (and a whole courtroom full of people, lawyers, counselors, baliff, etc.) That felt very strange but also very freeing. The just asked me if I minded telling her how long I've been sober. That was quite an experience.

That and a visit to mental health court this week has been my AA activity so far (no actual meetings). Tomorrow I am helping my friend in rehab with a few errands. I guess some weeks are like that where it's all service work! Feels good to help people.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl:h

Your sponsee....and the people you help....well, you give AA the BEST name...you are an incredible testimonial.....truly "living the faith" of the BB.

Comment

Rusty;1202957 wrote: Doggygirl:h

Your sponsee....and the people you help....well, you give AA the BEST name...you are an incredible testimonial.....truly "living the faith" of the BB.
          Rusty :h

Your post triggered some thoughts about how my attitude is not always right going in. Sometimes I don't want to commit to doing stuff for others, and sometimes I'm grumbling under my breath (or in my head) as I'm going to do it/while I'm doing it. But I always feel good about what I've done when it's over. I guess that is maturity, right? I'm not much for religion but Joyce Myers (TV preacher) is one I've always liked listening too. She always talks about doing the right thing with a good attitude, etc. I never "got" that concept at all until I was pushed into it by AA. That has been a gift in my life. So many rewards that make me feel right and whole inside.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

DG, how cool. I was on the road this week scanning the TV channels and stopped on Joyce Meyers for a few minutes. Her comments were the same message that I get from a good AA meeting. It is funny how it all works together.
            And good on you for your service work. We have about six people in our early morning meeting that are "court ordered". The majority are doing really well in the program.
            It is a great day to be sober.
            Love and Peace,
            Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Hey Phil! I see a lot of court ordered AA participation too. As much as the large majority seem to not want to be there, my hope is always that a seed is planted. These folks are mainly DUI referrals it seems.

The participants from Drug Court generally come in to meetings with a more positive attitude. They have already demonstrated an acceptance of their AL/Drug problem, and a desire to participate in comprehensive treatment rather than stay in jail for their criminal offenses. Most of these folks are drug addicts rather than alcoholics (or maybe both) who have been arrested for non-violent criminal activity related to drug use. Possession, selling smaller amounts, stealing, etc.

What I like about this program is that each person is assessed fully, (including for other mental illness) and the treatment plans are individualized accordingly. This includes not only any addiction treatment, psychiatric treatment, and medical treatment, but other case management services. So people have access to resources to help find jobs, housing, child care, etc. etc. The numbers are really eye opening when you look at recitivism rates and costs. What a great program. The addiction treatment might include individual counseling, group therapy at one of the local treatment centers, and/or AA/NA meetings.

This summary explains the program nicely, and briefly if anyone is interested. From what I've learned in school, our local drug court here is probably representative of many drug courts out there in different places. Will County State's Attorney's Office

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X