X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily Friday 12/2

Hello friends,

Okay, Sunny--bend over!!uch::bat

I feel for you winos. I really do. Wine is so overly-glamorized, don't you think? There are so many kinds, colors, flavors. In pretty bottles, with pretty labels, with beautiful racks and cool stoppers you can buy. There are even charms and the beautiful crystal wine glasses! There are wines you drink with certain things, there are a gagillion flavors. Even if you hate alcohol you can force yourself to drink wine, cuz it's cool that way. Wine is sacred. Wine is THE celebration drink. EVERYONE drinks wine.
    I've been here at MWO for quite a while, and I'll bet if we took a poll--the majority of the people here would choose wine as their poison of choice. Maybe DG could chime in here on any statistics. So I think many of the winos (or ex winos) probably have an extremely difficult time quitting because of the emotional and glamorized and traditional aspects of the wine. I mean some people have it at every gathering. It makes a great gift. Honestly, I really do feel for you. Now me, I would drink wine if it was offered, or appropriate, or if I was out of beer. I like the taste of the cheap wine, I could drink it like water. It also gave me heartburn, and the hangovers were hell.
    I mean, yes, those beer commercials are tempting to me--especially those ice cold bud light or bud light lime bottles. But I think the wine thing must be harder. You also have all those studies that tell us wine is good for you....in moderation. Well, so is grape juice, so why don't we hear that so much?
    I have a friend that is having a difficult time. She said she might go home and have a glass of wine before attending the basketball game tonight. I pictured myself trying that--not that I want to try that--just pictured what that would look like. There is no way, I could stop at one glass. NO WAY. So, you see. Those of us here that have decided to be AF, cannot romanticize about that glass of wine, or bottle of beer. It just gets us in trouble. It is so not worth it. I mean think about it. ONE GLASS??? Just remember the bad things about it. The cotton mouth, the headache, all the regrets you have from drinking it that caused you to want to quit in the first place.:l

I'm headed to basketball. No AL wine or otherwise there!:h
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

AF Daily Friday 12/2

Thank you Uni and LVT :l

You gave me an idea, LVT... Welch's makes a white grape juice... I remember really liking it. THAT's what I'll have with dinner.

I'm not really worried about between now and the holidays. But I may need some follow-up butt kicking when we get closer. Thanks so much, ladies.

Bear - you sound better! Uni - you sound fantastic! LVT - you always sound awesome! :H
      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

AF Daily Friday 12/2

Uni....what you said about how great it is to feel normal really resonated with me. I LOVE feeling again. Alcohol took that away. I had lost interest in everything - except drinking, of course. Why would I give up all this wonder I have once again for life? Why?

There's no good reason. Objectively, it seems very silly to trash out one's body and brain for the sake of having a liquid go down the throat. But we all know, it's not the liquid that's the object of the obsessive craving. - it's the buzz.

I became addicted to alchohol. I will be addicted again the moment that any alcohol enters my body again. I never want to go there again.

We are brave and courageous people. We saw where we were heading - even in the depths of addiction
        - and we clawed our way to freedom. Those who are thriving have truly accepted that living AF is the ONLY option.

A few days ago...I followed a link from another thread to the video Pleasure Unwoven
        . If you haven't seen it yet, it is an interesting program that uses quite a bit of natural imagery to illustrate what happens in the brain to cause addiction.

The host is goofy, but kinda cute and it was filmed in one of my favorite parts of the world - the canyon lands of southern Utah. Some of you 29-year-olds might also recognize some of the scenery from the movie, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Here's the youtube link:

Pleasure Unwoven - YouTube

I happen to think that my sandstone brain is pretty darn cool.
        Sober for the Revolution!
        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

AF Daily Friday 12/2

Hello Abbers.

Turnagain - I saw the Video Pleasure Unwoven - it's great and I highly recommend it for anyone who thinks they may not have a physical addiction to this drug!!

SunshineGG - I feel your pain for wine. I was just saying the other evening to my husband "why can't they come up with a good AF wine?" Really, something that tastes at least somewhat like it??? Oh well, I'm sure my tastebuds will change eventually!

Hope you all have a fantastic AF Friday evening!

Comment

AF Daily Friday 12/2

Great conversations today abbers!!
            Uni-you do sound awesome. Now I'm wondering if part of the reason why you haven't been able to recover from the depression was due to bad sleep quality?? Just in the couple of nights you've been sleeping in the spare room you've blossomed!!

Bear-good on you for choosing YOU tonite! I promise those choices get easier and easier and the ones that love you do NOT feel you are being selfish.

Sunni-my fav AF drink right now is Stop and Shop (or any store brand) White Cranberry and Peach juice coctail. It is still sweet but it has the tang I've been missing. Blonde also mentioned a ginger drink of some kind that her store sells and it sounds just amazing!

got to get busy in 10 min with another project for my brother. My goal is 1.5 hrs tonite but I don't know if I'll make it. Soooooo tired!

Nursing Home gig went well last nite. Lawrence Welk Christmas and New Years 1970. Talk about flashbacks!! Residents were good too for the most part. My boss did an amazing job with the Christmas decorations. She has such a flair for this. The most amazing thing however is that she can't think of another job she would love as much as this one. Is that just the coolest??

Up early tomorrow to go buy my christmas wreath. Always a nice outing with my sis.
            New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

AF Daily Friday 12/2

Good evening Abbers!

I am exhausted after a long day of chasing toddlers & rugrats :H
              It's not easy on a 29 year old, you know

Sunni, honestly - if I thought I could have just one glass of wine, I would. But I know that's just not possible, not in the cards for me ever again. To hell with that one glass with Christmas dinner.
              I have a bottle of Welch's sparkling grape in my fridge right now just in case I ever feel the need to pour 'something' for myself. It's been in there since January!!! I bought two bottles & used one in the center of the diaper cake I made for my daughter's baby shower & the other has just been sitting here all this time

bear, glad you decided to stay home!

Kaslo, I will be working all weekend to get myself caught up!

Meech & uni, glad you are both fighting a good fight!

LVT, I rarely ever drank beer because it gave me an instant headache. I was a wino, for sure. Consummed as much a human could in a day's time.....

Greetings Turn & mylife!
              I think I'll watch that video now, thanks for the link.

Have a great night y'all!

ps: Hi papmom!
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF Daily Friday 12/2

big busy day and time for my late check-in to ABworld. hope your all doing well. will get caught up soon here

xxx
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

AF Daily Friday 12/2

as an FYI I posted a little review of my new Berkey water filter in the Paleo nutrition section. I'm really enjoying some 'gourmet' quality water

Sunshine, here's how I use AB now. I use it as a threat. as an insurance policy. it stays in a little pill container in my travel bag and if I'm feeling antsy about having dinner on the road by myself, I'll put it in my pocket. typically I'll never take it, but just knowing it's there as a last line of defense is quite reassuring.

great post LVT

Bear, Uni your both sounding strong

Turn, I'll check that movie oot now.....

Sidney, have some wings for me (do they really eat Buffalo wings in Buffalo? Inquiring minds want to know!)

ciao bellas
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

AF Daily Friday 12/2

Lav, what in earth is a diaper cake???!!
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                    X