Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - Dec. 5 - Dec. 11

Everyone:

I'm speaking tonight at the large speaker meeting. It's a 2 speaker meeting, & I have about 20 min. It's daunting, because the meeting is large (100 give/take), but it gives me a chance to look at my addiction & recovery. My inclination is to take notes & try to get it perfect, but that's part of my disease. I'm mulling it all around in my head & will go w/what comes out tonight.

I'm always surprised at how the "clouds" of moods & incidents pass away. I used to drink over the ups & downs of life, thus compounding them. I didn't realize that I could:
    -discuss.
    -try to settle things.
    -wait it out.
    -etc.

I thought everything that happened was the be-all & the end-all. Now I know that life is meant to be lived, not avoided.

I hope all is well. If you haven't shared here, please feel free to do so. You don't have to say anything earth-shattering. Just a little bit of courage, strength, or hope will do.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Mary, good luck at the meeting - I wish I could be there!
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hi All,

Just checking in to say Hi to all my old friends and any new ones!

I'm doing well....sober and having a good time just living a "normal" life. Been running and swimming and doing alot of work for the Lions Club. We're very busy this time of year trying to help those in need during the holidays. Wish we could do more, but every little bit helps.

Going to North Carolina for the holidays to see our 2 year old grandson....that'll be a blast!

Have a good day everyone!

Don

Comment

Don: Have a wonderful time w/the g-son...You're going to find he'll become the joy of your life. M
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Speaking at last night's meeting ended up being a real high. It isn't easy to speak about myself while looking out at a sea of faces, but I had a real sense of accomplishment in doing so.

I'm doing well both in my program & in my daily family life. Ups & downs of course, but that's life. I tried so hard to avoid the lows through drinking...only to create an almost insurmountable problem of alcoholism.

Mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, good on you. Big meetings are quite daunting to speak to and yes, I too have had a sense of accomplishment in doing the same thing. I certainly would NEVER have allowed myself to get into any situation that involved speaking in public when I was drinking. I may have said 'yes' to people please, but wouldn't have turned up. No way.
            Great to read how well you are doing in your program & family life. I did the same as you did with drink. Couldn't accept that problems were just a part of life & drank to avoid them, compounding the problems and also my drinking.
            So, so happy I am not doing that any more.

Hello to you too Chief. Haven't seen you on the boards for a while (mind you I am in and out fleetingly). You sound like you are doing well too - a pleasure to read.
            All the best.
            Amelia
            x
            Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Avoidance was such a big part of my disease of alcoholism. It seems so illogical now, but at the time, I thought I was getting relief. The by-products of all that avoidance was shame, guilt, & self-loathing. It's just easier to deal w/life. Mary
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Good to see you all here this week. I've been out of town and away from the personal internet so it is good to catch up here.
                I passed two years sober on Wednesday. Amazing to me.
                Love and Peace,
                Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

phil: That is so wonderful! I remember when you struggled & struggled...as did I. I'm so grateful for this thread & for AA. Sober is the best way to be. Last night coming home from a Christmas party, I mentioned to my husb that I haven't had any alcohol in my system for over 2 years. I had fun at the party & feel great today.

Tomorrow we have yet another party to go to. I'm not worried. Our friends are mod drinkers, & I'm perfectly happy to drink soda.

Take care of yourself.

Mary
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Wow Phil, that is awesome!!!!!! Good for you. I am not sure whether my timing (being on the boards) will be right to wish you congrats then, so keep up the good work for the next 4/5 days and big congrats for Wednesday!! I struggled for a long time too. Thank goodness I don't have AL in my life anymore.
                    Amelia x
                    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Working...
                    X