Sober 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sober 2007

Hi All, Hope that it's OK posting in Abs as well as mods??

Thanks so much for mentioning me on the 1st post, well on my with day 2 today with a glass of water at almost 8pm .............

Kim , your posting was most inspiring, and sooo much thanks to everyone else here, I'm not used to names in mods yet and i've been there 2 months so please bear with me all.

Paulb, nice to see you, you haven't been about much over the festive season.

Lots of love & hugs to all :h :l :h
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Sober 2007

Changling, Discover, Watermelonhead, Paul and Paula:

I wish I could get to the places you are regarding alcohol. I can't imagine going home and not having a glass of wine the second I get in the door. I can't imagine cooking dinner without refilling my glass a few times. I can't imagine interacting w/ my kids and husband without my beloved buzz.

The first goal for me is to be AF until Friday.
      Iamgoingtodothis:new:

Comment

Sober 2007

Hi Paula, I've been out and about lately, walking with Susan today, at her mother's yesterday and I couldn't get the website to come up on Sunday till very late. I couldn't not come here. This is a great place and you are great people.
        Iam.....Keep going. You can do it!:thumbs:

Comment

Sober 2007

I am in for a sober 2007

After making an ass of myself and falling off of my AF 30ish day wagon, I slipped and had a couple of binges during the holidays - UGH.... still feeling like a jerk. I AM SOOOO MEAN and ARGUMENTATIVE when I DRINK! MY GOD! Hadnn't seen the Hubby in weeks, and he showed up home completely hammered with LOTS of booze.... you get the picture...... EEEEEESH!

I am totally COMMITTING to an AF January, and hopefully will continue through February, and so on.

Wishing all of you the happiest, most fullfilling year ever - hopefully alcohol free or in moderation!

Comment

Sober 2007

What wonderful posts today!!!!
            Yes, there is strength in numbers and knowing that we are not alone in this. I am finishing up Alan Carr's book and only now do I realize how long it took me to "learn how" to get 2 beers down. Alcohol does not come naturally to us and it is a poison to our systems.
            Becca, it's nice to see you back. Let me know how the women's meeting of AA goes. There are a few such meetings in my area and I was thinking of attending. Of course the idea scares me to death but if you find it helpful I might summon up the courage.
            Having a really full stomach also seems to help to resist urges. I ate a huge late lunch (at about 3) and the idea of a drink repulses me. I know if I let myself get hungry at around 7pm I'm very likely to become tempted.

Will check back late when I put my "0" in my drink tracker.
            I also find Mike Up North's and the other Long Term Abstainer's posts very helpful and inspiring.

Janet

Comment

Sober 2007

Janet

Your post reminded me of the things I used to think. I always thought that this was such a "shameful" thing to have. The only shameful thing about it--is that society jumps to conclusions about what type of person has this affliction. It is society that should be ashamed rather than us. Unfortunately, there are stereotypes for people of different races, $$ status or job position-just to name a few. There are always going to be the people that prove the sterotype correct--which is why a sterotype even gets started. I added to the alcoholic sterotype when I refused to admit that I had a problem--worse yet, I knew I had a problem but didn't do much about it-- and continued to drink and act stupid. The one and only shameful thing about this is when we refuse to get the help we need--because what would people think? Well, people tend to think we are idiots for not getting help. Looking back at my hesitancy to seek help when needed--from both my doctor and AA makes me cringe. I only prolonged my own agony. My doctor was so kind. People who know that I am in AA are proud of me.

I read somewhere--"Do you think that you are responsible for your own actions?" The person answered yes. The response, "Then isn't it about time you started acting like it?"

The stigma and shame are ballooned tenfold in our own heads. And if anyone would not be supportive of you--make you feel shameful for seeking help for a problem--I seriously doubt they are worth having in your life. I don't announce it--but even at work I am pretty open about it. This used to scare the shit out of me. Well, I was missing out. The support I have gotten at work is incredible. I have seen sides to people that I never would have known without opening up.

The only shame to be had is if you refuse to get the help that you need. I know I waited too long...prolonged my agony...prolonged the time I had to wait to be free of the demon.

Enough of my babbling today--I think with this quitting smoking--I have replaced smoke breaks with posting!

Kim

Comment

Sober 2007

soul searching

Kim,
                Came back to mwo to post a "0" in my drink counter and read your post.
                As always it is right on target.
                I have always convinced myself that attending an AA meeting would not be "helpful" to me. After reading your post a few times and a few brief minutes of reflexion I don't believe I am embarrassed to attend a meeting. There is something admirable in tackling a problem head on and solving the problem. I am afraid I will attend the meeting and then not go back. In the past I have convinced myself AA is for the homeless street person. Iknow that is not true. There is a meeting for everyone and I know that. I, once again, have to reassess my committment to Sobriety.
                It is easy for me to say I will be abstinent in Jan. I can't go to AA and admit that. That's why I'm embarrassed to attend one of their meetings.
                Thanks for bringing this to my attention. In my post above it appears as if I'm afraid of others(or their opinion of me) In reality I'm afraid of me(and my potential failure)
                I shall look for new meaning in Alan Carr tonight
                Good Night all,

Janet

Comment

Sober 2007

Discovery you are an inspiration and a tower of strength! I'm so impressed. I've toyed with the AA idea but I'm still a bit chicken sad to say. it's true that when you view alcohol as a toxic alkaloid that it just doesn't sound so sexy anymore. arg.
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Sober 2007

potential failure

I failed in AA. Went 9 months and then left in 2004. Went in March of 2006-stayed one month and left. In August I went back again--and have vowed that no matter what I will not quit. The key in my statement is that "I failed"--not AA. I refused to listen--I refused to do what I needed to do to stay sober. I will say that in all of this...I had one of the most powerful eye openers. Not one single person said something negative about me going back out. They were just so darned glad that I had found my way back. They knew I was an alcoholic--and they know many of the horrors that happen to people who go back out. Of all of us that have been in and out...not one of us reported any benefits of being "out there".

Determine what it is that you want. Then determine what is actually possible. Moderated drinking is a pipe dream for me. Then determine what you are going to do about it. My biggest fear was being this 80 year old woman and looking back on my life with regret....that I never found happiness because I was always strapped to the demon. Failing in AA is one thing...failing in LIFE is another.

Are you avoiding the potential of success for some reason? Has what you been doing working? Is it time to change up the plan? A plan that can constantly be tweaked--but to continue trying the same thing over and over again--always ending up with the same result is downright exhausting.

Kim

Comment

Sober 2007

Day 7

Discovery, what a wise & honest person you are. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I have read your post several times and it has given me a lot to think about.

Accountable - I am so sorry to hear of your "slip" after doing so well for 30+ days, but it's done now, can't be changed. Look forward to the next 30 days AF.

Day 7 for me - a whole week, I know I would not have done it without all the support here.

Lots of positive thoughts going out to everyone
                      Regards Changeling

Comment

Working...
                      X