Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflections on rehab

Morning all

It's been a while since I visited or posted here because I went into rehab for 6 weeks in mid October and the last month has been consumed with Christmas, family and new business preparations.

Rehab was life changing for me. I know most people don't have the time or finances to take a stint in treatment but if you do and are deliberating, I say GO FOR IT!! I'd like to share some things that I learnt there.

1) As far as I understand, each clinic is different and the one I went to took a fairly confrontational approach. The counsellors called each and every one of us on our BS, our lies, our manipulation, our selfishness, self-centredness, controlling, resentment, blaming and denial. We were encouraged to do the same to each other. The power of the group therapy is that it's very difficult to refute what someone is saying when 15 people agree with them. It's not easy to hear some of the things that people will say to you but we have to be willing to accept and own our faults and behaviour if we want to get better.

A turning point came for me when I realized it didn't matter how hard a time the staff or peers gave me because treatment wouldn't go on forever. What does go on forever, IF WE CHOOSE IT, is the shit and misery that we put ourselves and our families and friends through. I have chosen to put a stop to that.

2) With any kind of addiction, 10% of the problem is the actual substance or activity and 90% is YOU. More specifically, your thought patterns. This is why many people remain bitter, selfish and discontented even after they have stopped drinking or using. Accepting that your old ways of thinking led to harmful (spiritually and emotionally, not just physically) ways of behaving and seeking new and healthy thoughts will really help when you quit.

CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is very helpful in changing old patterns. If you can't afford therapy, buy a book or borrow one from the library, get on the internet etc - there are so many resources out there. The only excuse for not using them is you.

3) Like most rehabs, my treatment was focused on the 12 step programme and fully endorses going to AA during and after treatment. I was VERY resistant to AA for many years and even a few weeks into my treatment. But I have now done a total 180 on that.
    Back when I was drinking (and very critical of AA, thinking 'they' [those sad alcoholics ] were all a bunch of losers), I spent a LOT of money on different types of counselling, going to self improvement workshops, reading self help books and feeling really lonely a lot of the time. But duh, right under my nose all along was AA. It?s a spiritual programme not a religious one, the 12 steps can be seen as a programme for life, not just for addicts, they are all about becoming the best person you can be, you get to hang out with other people who completely understand you, share your worries, fears and frustrations and its practically free!! What?s not to like?

I do think there is sometimes an overt pressure to attend a certain number of meetings per week, especially when you have first quit but remember that you are in control of your own life. No one can make you go to meetings or punish you for not working the steps but as in life, you get out what you put in. Find a balance that works for you ? and a group. They are all different. Find one where you feel comfortable and commit to going regularly even if it?s only once a week. Having some routines is really helpful in staying sober. People who go to my local group often say that they especially make sure to go to a meeting if they feel really high (emotionally), happy or excited because this emotional state can be as likely to lead to drinking as feeling really low. It?s all about balance.

4) The most powerful step for me was AA Step 1 ? admitting we are powerless over alcohol. I encourage you to set aside a few hours to think of 3-5 examples of when you were powerless over your addiction. Get REALLY specific: where were you?, who were you with?, what happened?, what were the consequences (include emotional, physical, financial, to you, your family, friends, employers, co workers etc).

You can also do the same exercise and think about times when your behaviour as a result of drinking/using caused you to behave in a way that totally contradicts your morals, values and beliefs.

When I completed these exercises I ?discovered? (and I use that word because I genuinely didn?t realize beforehand) that I have stolen, deceived and lied to my loved ones. I see that it?s not normal or honest to take (steal) drink from friends or family (and worse) and it?s also not normal or ?under control? when you decide you definitely want to stop drinking when you move back to England after 3 years abroad, drink all summer long, sometimes in the morning and at work, get drunk on the plane and then buy 2L duty free vodka that you don?t even want and drink yourself right into rehab within 3 days of getting home. Wow, was my mum ever pleased to see me back!!

Joking aside, I am slightly incredulous when I think of how I act when I am drinking. It doesn?t make any sense that an intelligent and otherwise sensible person would choose to take something that renders me unconscious and often made me puke at the first sip. My view is that someone who is powerless over alcohol would behave like that. While it?s not my fault that I respond to alcohol in that way, it is my responsibility to do something about it.

5) Resentment is the #1 offender. I am learning how to let go of resentments because they are so harmful to our health and well-being. Treatment taught me that I am chock full of them and also that ?Harboring resentments is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die?.

6) When you are angry, indignant, resentful, self pitying, blaming and want to drink and/or lash out, LOOK IN THE MIRROR. Staff told me this time and again in treatment and I think of it every time I want to criticize or attack someone else. And I want to a lot?but I am trying to ?keep my side of the street clean?.

I think I?d better stop here! I?d like to wish you all a healthy, happy and sober 2012. Sobriety is a beautiful thing: no more guilt, shame and lies. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about rehab.

The label on my Yogi tea today says ?May this day bring you peace, tranquility and harmony?. Amen to that!
    Bean

Reflections on rehab

Great post, hard to fool ourselves into arguing with any of your points if we are being honest here, thanks Bean hope 2012 is a special year for us all.
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Reflections on rehab

EXCELLENT post Bean!! Sobriety is indeed beautiful and so liberating too.

Have a fantastic FREE 2012!
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Reflections on rehab

Thanks Bean for making the effort to share. That is a great post, and i for one, love it.

Congratulations on your new found sobriety, and thankyou again for sharing some positive stuff.

Best wishes for 2012. Bravo!

G-bloke. x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Reflections on rehab

Very happy for you Bean
          Wishing you the very best for 2012!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Reflections on rehab

Wow Bean, this post is incredible! I read every word, and I have to say it explains so much about the whole process. I am also really thrilled that you found this huge change and are living it, and that you also understand what all the effects are...

I think your post should be mandatory reading for anyone struggling to get out from under the influence of addictions, and I believe you are right, that the manipulation, aggression, selfishness, controlling behaviour etc DO continue in recovered alcoholics.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this, its really important, and hugely ground breaking for me, actually, because I have been trying to figure out why some of the residual effects of AL seem to stick like glue to us, in many ways.

I am also really happy you have found peace, and gotten three months or more now behind you, have learned so much about the whole process, and are back among the land of the living normal. I would like to thank your mom personally for being there for you as well. I only wish I could have connected with you while you were here. In any case, (I hope you got my PM, too). This is BRILLIANT Bean, and I am SO proud of you for working through this in what must have been one of the most difficult periods of your life.

Huge love to you

Kaslo
            Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Reflections on rehab

I'm really happy for you, Bean! Thanks so much for sharing this post!:goodjob::thanks:
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Reflections on rehab

Bean, I am so happy that you have not only found sobriety but also found a lot of truth. I can identify with everything you posted. I felt exactly the same way about AA and did my own 180 as you probably already know. Lots of truth and wisdom in the principles and the people.

Good luck to you in 2012!!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Reflections on rehab

Thank you for taking the time to post this Bean, and am so happy for your success -- I can hear it in your voice!

Comment

Reflections on rehab

bean: I just read your post w/interest & identify w/so, so much! Especially the part about the power of step 1. I could NOT put down the drink until I took that step...admitting I am powerless over alcohol & my life was (very) unmanageable. I take step 1 every day.

If you asked me 3 years ago if I could ever become an active member of AA, my answer would have been a resounding NO!

I'm working through the 12 steps now & find they give me a cognitive change & a behavioral change. I change my thinking & my behavior.

Please come to our AA thread here in Abs. It's an excellent addition to the meetings. I love hearing about meetings others go to.

Thank you again for sharing. Yes, once you put the drink down, the real work begins.

Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Reflections on rehab

Oh, Bean, I can relate to everything you said! Was in a 28 day in-patient program and have been back just over a week. I went there so broken and feeling miserable, and came back totally changed. It, too, is based on the Twelve Steps, and I was lucky enough to have a wonderful volunteer who took us through the Big Book word by word. I was able to do my fourth step with him just before I left, and did the next three steps in the hour after he left quietly reflecting on everything. I felt so peaceful after that. Our counselors were excellent--each one, as well as the rest of the staff--in recovery, so there was no chance of bullshitting them! My husband warned my counselor about my ability to BS, but I honestly never tried to do that while in treatment. I just wanted sobriety and did whatever they told me to do. I got a temporary sponsor, and she took me to a couple of her home group's meetings, which were fantastic. People welcomed me and were genuinely happy that I was there. i also went to the group's Christmas party, and it was really nice to see all these sober people having so much fun! I had gone to AA before, but never did any work, and thought that the "miracle" would happen one day, even if I was still drinking. Well, now I go to my home group every day, and have been greeted with open arms. I got my thirty day chip last week (I am now on day 39), and got hugs from all. It is a blessing to have that.
                      Unfortunately, I have some legal consequences to face from a DUI, and my husband has to drive me to the meetings--probably will have to do that for six months to a year. I am amazed that he has stuck by me. He told my counselor that he would not and could not take another relapse on my part.
                      I was so fortunate to find a place that is very inexpensive compared to most other programs. It cost me less than a ten day program I went to last summer. They have just increased the price, but it still, in my opinion, the most affordable place I know of. I was blessed to have found it just when I needed it.
                      My (third) roommate at the rehab calls me every other day or so, and we will stay in touch after she goes home next Monday. Several other people there have also spoken to me and it is a good feeling to stay connected.
                      Thank you again for this post. Said everything I wanted to say and more!!

Happy Sober New Year, and I hope to see more posts from you!

TDN:thanks:
                      "One day at a time."

Comment

Reflections on rehab

Bean, I am so proud of you. I have also been in treatment and the lessons learned there have helped me tremendously.

Best wishes for a happy and sober 2012.
                        Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                        :h

Comment

Reflections on rehab

Bean
                          thank you so much for your post
                          Love it!
                          Best of luck to you in your sobriety
                          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Reflections on rehab

Bump

Comment

Reflections on rehab

Thanks for bumping this, Bean! Had just replied to Girl73 on anoither thread and I think it's good for others who, like us, needed rehab to get ourselves on the road to sobriety.
                              TDN
                              "One day at a time."

Comment

Working...
                              X