Weekly AA Thread - Jan. 9 - Jan. 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope all is well. I've been going to meetings regularly. I can see how important that is to my mental health. Whenever I see someone who has relapsed, he/she usually says that not going to meetings was the beginning of the end. We've been getting a lot of relapsers back after a stint in the drunk world. Sometimes it's not a pretty sight to see...loss of weight & vitality, self-anger, etc. But, at least they're back & trying again. That's the important part.

As for me, I know that I'm one drink away from the precipice. I keep my memories of the merry-go-round of drinking close in my mind lest I think I'm OK to have 1 or 2. I really like sobriety & wouldn't want to give it up.

Tonight is my GSR meeting. This is my serivce to the Sun. night group that I like very much. It's my way of helping the members keep up w/what AA is as a whole.

Take care one & all.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Hi, Mary.

I am going to meetings every weekday. Haven't been able to make Saturday for the last two weeks, and Sunday I go to church, which is kind of like a meeting for me. We had a large group almost every day last week, not as many today. But I love going to the meetings.
    And, lest I forget where drinking took me, i got the police report from November's DUI today via my attorney. Never want to see another one like it. But all I can do is maintain my sobriety, attend meetings and get involved with service work.
    Hope we all have a good week!

TDN
    "One day at a time."

Comment

Hi Mary and TDN, And All Regular AA Thread Members,

I don't post here often as I don't go to AA meetings, but TDN, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on making it to 30 days AF and now you are close to 2 months!!:goodjob:

Mary, Doggygirl, Amelia, and all the other "regulars" here....I enjoy reading your stories on how AA has been the key reason why you maintain your sobriety.

TDN, we all enjoy having you on the Monthly Abs Thread. You add much light to our thread. Come back, come back (insert Dorothy's voice from the Wizard of Oz here:H) How lucky you are to hit bottom with that 1st DUI. My aunt, a 30-year daily drinker, is now almost 4 years sober with the help of an inpatient 12-step rehab and AA....something she NEVER would have considered before. She had had 3 DUIs, a horrible alcohol-induced accident that almost took her life...and many other incidents. Finally, her husband told her if she didn't get serious help for her drinking problem, then he was committing her to a psychiatric hospital for in-patient and longterm treatment.:upset: Yesterday, she celebrated her 68th birthday....she does not miss AL and is so happy with her life.

AA has been, and is, a lifesaver for so many people. I'm glad people like my aunt and you all on this thread, found it as your way out.

Comment

Good morning, all. I woke up really early, and can't even blame the dogs, who are still sleeping!
        Rusty, thank you so much for your kind words!:thanks:
        Unfortunately, this was my second DUI--in six months, after having a perfect driving record for 57 years!! My first was in MA, but my sister, an attorney, got me a good attorney and had I not screwed up this time, I would have had the DUI expunged from my record in one year. And it wasn't reported here in NH, but our police chief took it upon himself to call MA, so who knows what the consequences there will be. Anyway, I go to court and the DMV next month. But I know I can't change any of that, and am focused on my recovery now. I consider myself lucky to have been arrested, as it was my bottom, and I did not injure or kill anyone. I feel for your aunt, but thank God she found the rehab and AA. I know that is what saved my life. And MWO, of course! Such great people who keep me focused every day.

I hope this week is a great sober one for all!

TDN
        "One day at a time."

Comment

Rusty thank you so much for jumping in. I loved your post. Yes, for some of us, the face-to-face of AA is absolutely necessary. Since your aunt & I are about the same age, she's young & vital & starting a new life like I am. I give her (& myself) credit for starting the AA journey later in life...but not too late to have a few more adventures in sobriety.

TDN: You're doing so well. The key is maintaining our spiritual health. For me, that means going to meetings, doing service in AA, & going to church. The DUI will work itself out. Remember ODAT. It all doesn't have to be solved today.

M
          October 3, 2012

Comment

DG: I bet you're back into your studies again!
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Good morning all,

TDN, I want to add my kudos to you. You are doing well. I agree, everything doesn't need to be solved today. I believe us alcoholics have a hard time with patience. We want things and we want them now.

Hi, Mary. I am sorry I did not reply to your pm. It wasn't because I didn't appreciate it, it was more than I received it during a rough time here at home. I was staying so busy and worrying about what is happening with my folks, etc. No excuse. I apologize. And, thank you for thinking of me.

I jump in here today for another reason. I finished a book a few days ago that I wanted to recommend if any of you haven't already read it. It is called A Piece of Cake: A Memoir by Cupcake Brown. Whilst many of us here might have a hard time relating to her horrific childhood, though some here might, her description of her descent into alcoholism and drugs and then subsequent recovery is very inspiring.

Not only did she talk about her early years as a "trash junkie," but she did spend some good time discussing her recovery. Many of the books I have read have glossed over that part of their stories and she did not. Yes, the preponderance of the book was about her using years but she did not short shrift her recovery and what she learned.

Her book has me considering going back to AA again. That is how inspiring it is. I will have to wait until I have transportation but that is not an issue.

Love to all,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cinders: Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll definitely give it a try. I'm glad you're doing OK.

I hope you will reconsider AA. I know it's not for everyone, but it worked for me. In addition to getting sober, I have a whole raft of support.

Good luck.

M
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Hello All - Mary, TDN, Rusty & Cinders...

Have really enjoyed reading through your posts.
                  Totally and utterly agree with you Mary that regular meetings are a must to keep us balanced, plugged into our recovery, and fully conscious of where we have come from - that constant merry go round.
                  I went through a brief stage of not really feeling like going to meetings. Thankfully it was short lived and now I look forward to my regular meetings each week. I still have no illusions about my alcoholism. I know that if I took just one drink the craziness could start again. I have no wish to go back there!

TDN, as Rusty has said - congrats on your 50+ days. 2 months soon - fantastic achievement. You are now much better placed to deal with whatever happens with regards to your DUI.

Cindi, great to see you posting here too. I have read A Piece of Cake and I loved it too. I was still drinking though when I read it, so I may revisit it as I think I may have a different take on it now with a bit of recovery behind me. I can't really remember much about Cupcake refering to her recovery apart from her 'trusting' that things would work out ok - handing things over to her HP. I will have to see if I can find it.....

DG - hope all is going well for you.
                  Hello to everyone else too.

Amelia
                  Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

I just ordered "a piece of cake" from inter-library loan. Anxious to get it. M
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

I just ordered Piece Of Cake on ebay!
                      Maybe we could start a book swap! I usually give my books to our local hospital for the summer street fair, but would be happy to share with any of you.

TDN
                      "One day at a time."

Comment

Hi everyone

Just wanted to share that am 2years sober y/day and thanks to everyone here and on mwo. This is where my journey started on this site!
                        Had a great day y/day i was not planning anything, expect to go for a run and (AA meeting later on), which i did my 8miles for the second time round and could not believe it, was a very hard run because there was lots of hills but i made it. Looking forward now to pick out what charity am going to run for now....
                        Meet up with a friend after my run had coffee at costa and had a great laff could not stop laughing it turns out my friend who is also from AA knows my sister from many many moons ago, use to work with her (first job when they were 17.)
                        Went to a meeting later on there was also another lady there that was 3years so we all went out for a lovely curry about 7 of us.
                        I am in a really good space i cant explain it, it the best i have ever really felt in my recovery its taken me a long time to get this far (there is still 1 or 2 issues am working on) and i still always remind myself that i have to keep it in the day !

Well done TDN on doing over 30days AF keep up the good work.x

Take care and God bless 2u all x

Catch22.x
                        Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                        sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                        my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Congratulations, Catch!!!!:goodjob:

TDN
                          "One day at a time."

Comment

Teardrop. I am so so happy that the two of us (and many others) have found our way out of what was such a horrendous and painful merry go round.
                            I can remember talking with you on the phone on quite a few occasions when both of us were still drinking. I really didn't think either of us would get sober.
                            You did first - and that was such a huge boost for me and was a part of me thinking if you (and others - including Caron) could get sober through MWO & AA, then so could I.
                            Thank god we have. It's been a long road, but now I wouldn't want it any other way.
                            Warmest congratulations on your two years. Here's to many many more years of sobriety and living life on life's terms!
                            xxxx
                            Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

catch: congratulations! 2 years is more than enough to clear your head & change your life. You must be so proud of yourself!

Recovery has done so much for me...it's made an honest person out of me. There was so much I kept hidden that I had to drink to get some relief. I wouldn't say I'm the model of openness, but I'm a lot better than I was. I'm finding that my relationships are a lot better for it.

Stuffing my thoghts & feelings were a big part of my drinking. I still have to work at getting some of my issues out, but at least I'm aware that I have to. I try to remember the 3 A's...awareness, acceptance, action.

Mary
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X