Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you need to move on with your sober life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

Long time no post - well not on the more general forums anyway though some of you have seen how I've been progressing over on the AA thread.

Anyway i've got a fair bit of sobriety under my belt now and am starting up a business in Recovery Coaching. When I worked in alcohol aftercare i was always frustrated by the fact that there seemed to be a gap after rehab where people felt lost and weren't sure how to move on with their lives. Hence, recovery coaching.

I'm trying to put together some resources for people to download such as ebooks, audio, video etc. I'm already doing a self-esteem toolkit as I know a lot of addicts suffer from low self-esteem. But I wanted to know what do you think the difficulties were in moving on with your life when you got sober? What would have helped you either mentally, emotionally, what did you most need to work on?

i'd really appreciate your input so I can put together some tools to help as many people as possible. Let me know if you want to take a look at my website - I've already got a blog going and some videos. Don't know if i'm allowed to post it on the forum - I don't want to be spamming my old friends on here!

Thanks very much for your ideas!
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

I think this is a great idea! I know when I got out of treatment the first time myself as well as many others felt sad, lost and confused. I think one of the most important things to remember is that as addicts many of used so we didn't have to FEEL. Once we are sober we are feeling all the emotions that we have hidden away for so long AND that is the hard part IMHO. I didn't know what to do with the pain, the fear, the anger, the sadness. I became very introverted and isolated because I wasn't capable of dealing with my emotions and no one told me how hard it would be. I ended up relapsing because I had no help. I think group therapy, emotional coaching and understanding - as well as knowing to expect this would be extrememly helpful to newly sober people.

That's my 2 cents - hope it helps!
    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
    :h

Comment

Kimberly - WOW I think this is FABULOUS what you are doing!!!!

I didn't go to rehab but I think the biggest "gap" for me when I first stop drinking was figuring out what to do with myself!!! Drinking took up a lot of time for me and I struggled some just figuring out what to do with myself. I need to make new sober friends and find new sober activities. Especially for people who aren't interested in AA (as I was not when I first got sober) I think figuring out some other way to help fill that gap would have sure been a winner for me!

Good luck to you!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Kimberly,

Wow!! You have been reading my mind. I made a comment yesterday that a lot of effort goes into getting sober, but not as much effort goes into staying sober and what to expect after the newness is gone. I have been sober for almost 4 months and I am experiencing some sense of boredom/slight sadness. Not sure what is next?? I would love to have access to your web site and would appreciate any insight you might have.

Thanks for caring about this!

You also wrote --- what do you think the difficulties were in moving on with your life when you got sober? What would have helped you either mentally, emotionally, what did you most need to work on?
        I wish I could help you here, but I don't think I am quite qualified to answer that question. Like Universal said it does help to know that what you feel is not uncommon and it will pass; you just need to get though it and out the other end.

Comment

Thanks for your input everyone. Windy i'll send you the link to my website - if anyone else wants it just ask. I've got some articles and videos on there and will be adding lots of stuff soon!

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Kimberley, I really admire what you are doing; this is sure to help so many who are lost in their newfound sobriety. We don't want to be living the dry-drunk lifestyle, but one that is full of joy and positivity.
            It struck me today that most people who have been stuck in that 'head in a bottle' lifestyle may not even be aware of what it is that they may be good at or enjoy doing. This is something which I believe could be explored, maybe workshops for those in recovery to experience new things and open up this whole new world of possibilities. When you are sober, say at an age of 40plus, a lot of these people have never thought of anything only getting by and getting drink, therefore wouldn't even have thought of what to to outside of that situation never mind where to go and how to organise......

I would really appreciate a link to your website and blog.....this could save so many and enhance their lives.....
            IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
            Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

kimberly, I would love to see your website think what your doing is fantastic x
              Stella

Back to the beginning day 02 Jan 2013

Grateful for MWO :thanks:

Comment

Hi Daisy - thanks so much for your input. I'll send you the link now. I think you'll particularly appreciate my latest post!

Recovery Videos

Comment

Hi Kim

Good thread!

I find that one of my biggest struggles is to deal with family and friends who doesn't want to accept that I don't drink anymore. Tips on what to expect or how to handle those people in a nice way would help. Avoidance is a solution, but then it becomes lonely at times. I feel strong, but isolated and then when I am out with the old bunch I am disappointed in their reaction.

I would like a link to your website too.
                  12-20-2012 AF
                  Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Stella, I will send you the link privately now. I don't know if I'd be allowed to post it on the forums,as it is a business even though there's lots of free stuff on there and soon to come.

Ooh and you Steaady - thanks that's a great topic!

Recovery Videos

Comment

Kimberley;1249125 wrote: Thanks for your input everyone. Windy i'll send you the link to my website - if anyone else wants it just ask. I've got some articles and videos on there and will be adding lots of stuff soon!
                      Would love to see it!

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thanks DG - I've sent you the link. Before I send any more links out I'll just point out that it's about recovery from all sorts of things, although my speciality will be addiction - it's all about moving on and overcoming limitations - and now that you've shared with me more of what you need to know, I'll add more recovery articles soon.

Thanks all - do keep the feedback coming, I want to have stuff on there that'll really help people

Recovery Videos

Comment

Wow, people keep asking me for the address of the website and it's filling my inbox up - thanks for all your support! I don't want to publish the link, as I think that's a bit spammy, but I do want to help as many people as possible, so I'll just tell you where to find it.

If you google 'SMYLS Recovery Coach' the site should pop up there on google. By the way I am a 'Beth' in real life rather than a Kim

I'd love to hear what you would like more of on the site, and what you would find useful so that I can hopefully provide what you want and need. So feel free to drop me a line - you can get my email from the website too.

Hope to see you on there Beth/Kim xx

Recovery Videos

Comment

Working...
                          X