AF daily: Sunday April 29th 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

had a faaaabulous hike with the guys. managed to get a truck stuck and took quite some time winching it out. then did some long range shooting at steel plate targets (clang!) and took in some amazing mountain views. although I must say the stunning shot of the day is that fabulous pic Kas! it's ethereal, even sublime.

Mum2, all I know for sure is putting up with family AF beats the drunken version hang in there

be well peeps
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Omigosh, Kas.. how DO you get any work done with a view like that!??
      Wow!

Sigh.
      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hi Fabies....Thanks re the photo....technically the trees at the bottom of the frame are in my yard, which runs down to the rivers edge and the rest of it belongs to British Columbia.... the rivers there are the Kootenay and the Columbia, and that mountain in the background is called Brilliant Cliff. This was shot from my upper back deck looking east, very early in the morning.

Det I sincerely hope I never have to winch a truck out again. I used to work alone, and a long way from civilization, so getting a truck stuck was a real pain.

Mo2...I hear you about the combination of DH and mom...but I am willing to bet a silk pajama that you will find it easier to cope without AL in the picture. You might even enjoy your mom a bit. Who knew?

Dizz, I have a couple of different cams, the main one is a Canon 5D II.

Well, after a day of mowing, transplanting, dividing irises and planting them out, putting together the hanging baskets and pots for the back deck, I am knackered. I was thinking I need to go back out but I am falling asleep in front of the ipad here.

Good night everyone...
        kaslo,
        Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Damn, woke up at 6AM, and can't get back to sleep even if it is a holiday and really cold and rainy. Anyway, I started browzing my gardening thread and saw someone asked 'what do you do with your composting worms?' after I wrote this long piece about how I was afraid that I would kill them off again. So after the laughter subsided, I just had to get up to formulate some smart reply. They are still alive though, the worms.

M2, great to see you and to hear that things are a bit better. Kas is right though about the AL. DH who is testy with MIL mixed with AL seems like the perfect three abbreviations to spell domestic chaos. But you will be OK if you remember to breathe and count to ten... ODAAT. Do you get on with your mom though, perhaps you guys can do some fun stuff without hubbie?

Nice one Det. Sounds like you guys had some real man's man fun

Kas, I do like Canon camera's. I have a cheapy one but people still usually comment on the quality. I would like to save up for a Canon SLR as I did study a bit of photography before this AL monster came and took over all my interests. No more point and shoot for me! (well, no more always point and shoot for me)

I recently saw a movie based on true life events, The Bang Bang Club
          , I would recommend it for people interested in photography and South African politics...not the most cheerful movie though. It is about combat photographers who took photos of events a few years prior to the release of Nelson Mandela. Mostly of how the government convinced the Inkatha Freedom Party to start attacking the ANC, it was an awful time and luckily I was still young and living in Namibia.

Anyway - My favorite bit was the question behind the movie. What is the responsibility of photographers?
          For example two of the main characters won Pulitzer prizes for pictures they took. The main character, Greg Marinovich (Ryan Philippe) for photographing a man being set on fire; (while he could have obviously rather tried to stop the gang doing it although I think he wouldve been killed in the process.)

And Kevin Carter for taking this pic. The band Manic Street preachers wrote a song about him. The movie depicts Carter as a depressed drug addict and I don't think he ever got over the fact that even though he won a Pulitzer for this pic he never even made sure that this little girl got some food or that the vulture did not indeed end up eating her. It is hard to tell as I think he was pretty far gone at the time and his sense of reality was a bit shaken but he did commit suicide 3 months later. Just before then he said: They're right. All those people who say it's our job to just sit and watch people die.

Comment

This is an extremely disturbing photograph. I dont have an element of human misery in my photos, but I do photograph mans influence on the environment. I have engaged in lots of discussions with other photographers about intervention in something that could be prevented or ameliorated, vs recording the scene. I have spoken up when photographers set up a situation where the result is the plant or animals suffer, and I get shot down a lot. If I say I am a biologist, that just gets me in even bigger trouble. So I am afraid my opinion is that photographs like this should never be taken unless the photographer will then put the camera down and do something. There should be no prizes for photographs like this unless the photographer can prove that they have done something to help. I sympathize with someone who fears for their own life while photographing a necklacing or some other heinious crime, but I still believe there is a responsibility to pursue justice for criminals. It goes beyond photographic art at that point. I am not a documentary photographer, except at work, and that is dealing with plants and soils and wildlife etc and not with people. k
            Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Working...
            X