Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - May 7 - 13

Hi Everyone:

Last night's BB reading really hit home for me. The writer spoke about black-outs which I experienced regularly throughout the last part of my drinking. I think about the fact that whole days/nights are lost to me forever. It's scary to think about. One of the biggest benefits of sobriety is knowing what I'm doing at all times.

The other thing she wrote about was having to drink while doing almost everything: cleaning, going to church, yardwork, etc. Most of the time, I couldn't finish what I was doing. My drinking thinking was that alcohol would make the task easier. What sense does that make?

It's always good to be reminded of how insane my behavior/thinking was while I was drinking.

My home weekend meetings are enjoying a resurgence of attendance. It's great to see.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Hi Mary. I often think about "......restore us to sanity." What? Not me. Oh yeah, I did lots of insane things while drinking. Of course the basic mistake was thinking "it will be different this time", or "drink a glass of water between beers". Yeah that works.

I went to an English speaking meeting in San Juan on Saturday. It was good to be there.
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Hi, Mary.

Haven't been very active on this thread, but that is because I am working and have been very busy with that. Haven't been to a meeting in almost two weeks, but am doing okay. May get a day off mid-week and can hit a meeting then.
      Wow, your speaker's experience sounds so much like mine, especially at the end of my drinking. I had a water bottle with me at all times--and it wasn't full of water! I was so sick that I got used to drinking in my car--and did pretty well with that until I got a DUI--and the second six months later. Morning drinking was also something I had to do to stop my hands from shaking. I never want to go back there--never!
      I had my visit with a new doctor today. All my blood work came back "perfect." A year ago, my liver enzymes were very high--fatty liver--and there was something with the shape of my red blood cells. I have always had low cholesterol, but even that came back high. Now all is good, and I am so grateful for that. He did an EKG and it, too, was fine.
      I am going to read some of the Grapevine online now, and am finishig up "Diary of An Alcoholic Housewife." I am drawn to books about alcoholics and can really relate to so much that is in them.
      Happy sober night!
      Pam
      "One day at a time."

Comment

tdn: So glad to see you here! Our bodies are amazing in that they can heal themselves if we stop putting poison into them. It's great to be reminded of the insanity once in a while.

Good speaker meeting last night. The second speaker had relapsed after many years in program. All it took was falling away from meetings & thinking he could have "just one."

Take care one & all.

Mary
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Last night's speaker meeting was again a story of recovery, relapse, & recovery again. He was a great speaker. After 15 years sober in AA, he began to fall away from meetings & spirituality. One day, he decided he could drink again...normally. That lasted about one month. By the time the years-long relapse ended, he had lost everything & was in a psych ward. He was welcomed back into AA & now has about 4 years of rerecovery. There was a chronic relapser at the meeting, & I saw him talking to the speaker after the meeting. I just hope the message sunk in. More than ever, I see how this disease is a killer. I just read that the famous entrepeneur/artist Thomas Kinkaid died of alcohol/valium poisoning. It can touch anyone: young/old, rich/poor, all races, creeds, & colors. Mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
          X