X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Thursday, May 10

Hey Kas,
    I was wondering......
    What happens to the plants that are blooming 4-6 weeks early (because of the mild winter/spring weather)? That's my June Rose in full bloom now
    I can't help but think this is going to stress out the plants. Are they going to try to keep blooming longer than they normally would?
    I've had that rose longer than I can remember. It was a Mother's Day gift from my kids. I even moved it here with me 9 years ago from our old home
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey, Lav... I am seeing the same discombobulation up here too. Quince not in bloom yet, the tulips finishing, and it usually the other way around. I have to monitor native plants on beaches in the reservoir here, and this year, they are all about a week or so behind, but somethings are even more advanced than usual. So its kind of SNAFUd.

Once most hort plants have broken dormancy, they go into flowering. They respond to things like night time temperature, day length, dark period length, and combinations, and if they get triggered early they will flower early or partly flower and partly fail, as buds will be initiated and once that happens its kind of like giving birth. Babys gonna come out. No matter what. Or else. So your june roses must have had a jolt of warm nights, right at a lenthening day time, or something a couple of the right triggers in a row.. boom. Flowering. We can duplicate all of this in a controlled greenhouse, too. Thats how you get roses for Feb 14.

So the thing that is NOT good is it stresses the plants a bit, and extends them. Sometimes they will miss flowering the following season. Especially if they have used up all the phosphate in the soil. OR if you give them some ordinary rose food after this flowering period, and wait they may go for a second slightly weaker bloom in June. Either way you should feed them after the flowers start to fade, even if they have had a feeding last fall (but not if you fed them already this spring). Wait a while, then maybe something called MoreBloom at the end of May. They may keep flowering through to the end of june. Either way they will need a rest and lots of water through the summer hot season. They will be pooped out after all that hard work. Dead head the spent blooms, after theyve faded off you can back any really dead looking wood you missed. Otherwise a good fall feed and early to bed. I dont know if it gets so cold you have to cover them there, but covering the roots with mulch sometime between July to Aug keeps the fine roots nice and cool and moist. They need air circulation, feeding, dead stuff or diseased stuff hand picked off, good rose food, love and attention and lots of water. And you thought YB was needy but mysterious!!! It should be fine.

Enjoy the blooms, too. Its kind of a treat.

Kaslo
      Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Thanks Kas!

I've never been 'attached' to a plant before (except YB), just feel the need to keep this one going as long as possible :H
        I have pictures of the kids in front of this rose on their prom days & graduation days......it's kind of special.
        The rose usually does rebloom (slightly) near the end of the summer, kinda nice
        I will have to get pics of the little kids in front of it this year too!!!!
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

whew, made it to yet another hotel room and putting along AF and well.

really enjoying your beautiful yard pics Kas and Lav. my yard at home looks very....um.....natural. like a piece of desert hell bent on reclaiming what used to be a poorly landscaped yard.

Stressed, so glad your making strides into your new world. it's daunting at first I recall so well.

my hotel last night was not so fun. the hoodlums outside were so close I could actually hear every word of the drug deals. good grief. then a sudden burst of 'romantic noises' a hem... at about 3am along with thier dog barking. the effect was funny and creepy all at once. made me think I'd woken in a Quentin Torentino movie of some kind. needless to say I'm mighty tired now.

off to check chat a bit

be well everyone
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
          X