May Flowers - Week 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May Flowers - Week 3

Hi all, just checking in on day 13 to wish you all well. I'm travelling up north to see my mam tomorrow so wont be around a couple of days. Mam is in residential care in the late stages of dementia. Each time I go to see her I worry in case she wont know who I am. She has been in care for four years now and that is when she had her last drink. Mam is an alcoholic; her drinking has caused my family so much upset & stress over the years not to mention the fact that she has been seriously ill. Going 'home' to the house where my parents used to live, and where my disabled brother still lives, has always been my trigger, usually I am reaching for that glass after only half an hour in the house....it is so depressing & filled with so many memories, some good but so many not so good. But not this time...there's no way I want to lose how I'm feeling right now. Will check back in on Wednesday. xx
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Good Evening Friends,

Janice-congratulations on surviving Day 13!:yay: I am sorry to hear about your Mam. Is she your grandmother or your mum? Sorry if I sound ignorant. AL is an indiscriminate destroyer, and a family destroyer at that, isn't it? I feel so badly for you, but admire you for going through this AF. I hope you have a good support system, and I feel for you. Fortunately, my parents and grandparents were not alcoholics, but my mom's 3 sisters were/are (and my dad's brother, too). She has one sister still living who is going on 4 years of sobriety. My mom took care of them ALL....yes, flying from Wisconsin to the East Coast when they were in and out of rehab, hospitalized for weeks at a time due to AL induced accidents. Then, she had to deal with me for 3.5 years:upset:. Glad that's over now. I know your mam would be proud of you that you are dealing with the beast head-on, rather than drowning in his worthless bottles of nothing.

Bouv-great to hear from you. San Diego-one of my favorite cities. I loved the Zoo, but did not get to Balboa Park. Maybe I will someday, though. I love your quote, "if you're going to worry, why not pray?" Excellent.

Lav-I am going to a NEW client in Fontana, CA. No need to wear steel-toed shoes, safety glasses and earplugs this time. I get to wear capris and snappy sandles. So, how was your day off?:H As in no babysitting...family commitments. Did you have any fun?

Chill-I absolutely died laughing when you mentioned Manfred Mann and "Blinded by the Light," I have no idea what the words "revved up like a deuce mean" either, although when I was in freshman year of high school, of course those adolescent boys twisted the words to say, "wrapped up like a d--che." No offense, Bouv. You're the only male on this thread right now. Please don't go away because of me!:H Chill calls me incorrigible....but not until after I get to know someone.

I had a wonderful weekend with my mom, who turned 85 yesterday. We had a party for her on Saturday night, and you know....if I had been doing what I had been doing until I flunked the exam, I would have been working all weekend. That part of my career, because it was so hectic and time-consuming, and stressful, was a huge trigger to my drinking. Maybe that's why I'm not doing it anymore. I have to protect an AF lifestyle that I love.

Well, off to go for a run. It's a beautiful evening here in Wisconsin.

Have a lovely AF Monday night!

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Happy Monday all!

Lav - hope you don't catch that bug and hope none of the rest of the grandkids do either! Wishing EB a quick recovery

Janice - hope your visit goes well and even though you say the good memories were few, hope you can dwell on them and not the bad ones - family is family after all. Dementia is a cruel one - hope you can enjoy some quality time with your mam.

Bouv - thanks for the tip - heading west as far as Wyoming next summer but I would love to visit the west coast and Balboa Park - I am such a hummingbird freak! They are beautiful little creatures!

Rusty how wonderful you got to celebrate your mom's 85th birthday with her! You are sounding chipper these days - love it! Your mom sounds like an incredibly strong person.

Chill - enjoy the talk tonight - please let us know how it went - I think I've heard of his name but really nothing more than that.

LBH - hope you enjoyed the eclipse - watched it on the news this morning but I bet it was so much more awesome in person.

Finding myself drawing on my inner strength a lot these days with all the stress at work. I seem to have this sense of calm these days and I'm much better at dealing with it than I used to be before January. Have to credit my spiritual side as well - church has never been more of a comfort.

Hope everyone has a great night - looks like dreary weather all week - Lav and Bouv - don't think we can really complain after the weekend we had - huh?

Night all!
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Well, I didn't catch the stomach virus but I think I'm coming down with a cold.......oh well
          Went to Curves this morning, emailed a potential customer then took a granny nap :yay: :H

Chill, I have seen John Whiteman's website but don't know much more about him. Hope you enjoyed hearing him speak.

Bouv & Jolie, we were spoiled by the weekend weather, weren't we?
          Didn't seem to get much in the way of rain today, just a lot of clouds. Bouv, I hope you enjoy the grandkids someday as much as I do. They fill in part of the big hole in my heart created when my husband ran out 2 years ago (Sorry, you don't know that pathetic story....so much for 37 years of devotion )

Janice, we will all be with you in spirit - I hope you know that & wish you strength this week. Congrats on your 13 AF days!

Rusty, are you going to sell your steel-toed shoes on ebay? :H
          I am so happy that you are moving on friend!!! Happy birthday to your Mom!

Jolie, I keep forgetting to refill my humming bird feeder, duh. Maybe they will stop by if I fill the darn thing. I have lots of plants & bushes planted around my deck that attract humming birds & butterflies. Hope the work stress eases soon.

My younger brother lives in Northern California & said they had a pretty good view of the eclipse - lucky dog.

Have a good night all - have to go see what crazy Matilda is up to
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Rusty, you can't chase me away with a little colorful language; I was a sailor and I like my female friends to have some spunk.
            Besides, you guys have been wonderful to me since I first posted on April 3.

Now, I have some music trivia for you:

Bruce Springsteen wrote and first recorded Blinded By The Light, but I think everyone agrees that Manfred Mann did a wonderful version. A deuce is a car - a 1932 Ford coupe to be exact. They were a favorite of hot rodders in the 1950's and 60's. They are also the cars mentioned in the Beach Boys' song Little Deuce coupe.

Happy Birthday to your Mom, Rusty. Yes, Lav and Jolie, our weather has moved out for a while.

You can tell me the story some time, Lav. His loss. Your kids and grandkids are blessed to have you.

And Janice, I'm sending good wishes for you, your brother and your Mam. We'll be here, anxious to hear from you when you return.

I have to look up John Whiteman, Chill. Just watched Alice and the Muppets. Priceless.

A good night to all. Talk to you tomorrow!

Bouv xo

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Evening Bloomers!!

Janice-way to hang in there-on to day 14 and beyond!! yes, we are thinking of you during your emotional visit and send calming vibes your way. We'll be her when you get back.

Bouv-yes indeedy there will be pics when the two "Paps" finally "get hitched" :H I am actually talking to a guy in Elkhart, IN who hand crafts Teardrops and larger versions. I'm really unhappy with the layout of the Paphut even tho I've never spent a night in it. It just doesn't feel right to me even tho I'm sure its a perfectly good floorplan. So, if he can keep the price down to around 3K I might be able to swing it if I can sell mine for about 2K. The other option is to find a carpenter locally who would gut it and rebuild. All i need is a double/queen size bed and a small dinette with space for a microwave and storage and of course AC. Decisions decisions.
              Anyway, I'll keep you all informed. Oh and I adore Hummers but can't attract them where I am. The automotive kind yes, the avian kind no! :H

Jolie-sending Stress B Gone vibes to you!! It is pretty amazing how calm we become when we're not racked with guilt or barely getting through the day with a massive hangover!!

Lav-get that elderberry and oil of oregano into you toot sweet!! Glad you got a granny nap in tho! Jealous.

Chill-yea! Sunshine finally for you!! How was the talk tonite?

Rustop-nephew is still homesick and now thinks he has bronchitis on top of everything and he NEVER gets sick! Pics on FB are pretty cool tho. Now the pub shots are showing up!

Rusty-you sound so much better these days and I'm truly happy for you! You even sound excited about your upcoming trip! Happy belated B-day to Mom-so glad you were able to be there in Body, Mind and Spirit!! Wow! 85! My dad is 84. Aren't they fabulous???

Still not recovered from my whirlwind of a weekend. yesterday there was barely a minute to breathe! Graduation included a FULL catholic mass and we were in the upper balcony with NO AC! Aaack! Then an hour at my bank opening a business account so I can deposit the few checks I get (yes, my bank is open on sundays) then off to the party for the grad. Lots of socializing and way tooo much eating! No sleep as DD was extremely restless and I had major heartburn. Took me until 3am to figure out he didn't like the ceiling fan!! Who knew?
              Got into work late and took me all day to wake up. Consequently had to work late. Dishes, vacuuming and laundry will have to wait a few days I'm afraid. cool and rainy tonite so no fan!! Busy week-it's the last push to get the evals done but I am in great shape to do it well before the weekend so I will be totally free. whoo hoo!! Lots of meetings this week so it's good I'm on track to finish up tomorrow.
              Am going to try to fall asleep before eleven tonite. Wish me luck!!
              New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Good morning everyone

Have had a busy few days so lots of catching up to do. :goodjob: Janice those days are mounting up. Stay strong during your visit.

Rusty and Papmom, its wonderful that your parents are so well and active. Enjoy them. Great to see you both sounding so upbeat. Hope your nephew is ok, its no fun feeling sick away from home. We are promised a heat wave tomorrow - one day but we will take anything thats coming.

Lav - hppe you are soon feeling better.

Chill, Bouv, Jolie, Sunni, SD, Cyn big hello. Shout out to Star and Dill, Blonde and Shelly, we have not heard from them in a little while.

The new puppy is settling in well, more like taking over the place. My daughter was 18 yesterday so we were out for a nice meal last night. Was up early with the puppy so tired, think I will take a granny nap later.

Have a great day everyone.

Rustop

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

God bless our granny naps Rustop :H

Good morning to everyone!
                  Still cloudy & damp here, looking forward to the return of some nice weather this weekend.

Happy BD to your daughter Rustop! Send puppy pics!

I'm having to keep a distance between Matilda & Maxie these days. One is overly annoying & the other is getting grumpy

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Tuesday!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Hi everyone

Here is the new addition

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSC00080.jpg
                    http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSC00078.jpg

Rustop

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Cute pix rustop!!! Adorable!!

OK!! I've just GOT TO try this photobucket thing and see if I can get a picture of my dog to show up...since everyone has shared their pups!! If it works...it will be Molly standing on my sister (at the lake). X crossing my fingers X

Hopefully when I push "submit reply" there will be picture above!! LOL!!! Anyway...interesting day ahead...I will fill you all in later this evening!!

Have a great Tuesday!!
                      SD
                      "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

6/18/11--7/3/12
                      7/29/12

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Evening Gang

SD - Well done on your 1st photobucket, Molly is gorgeous! Cant wait to hear about your day.

Rustop - He is sooo cute, looks like a cartoon. Is there anyone on this thread who doesn't have a dog?!

Lav - Im guessing the little one is the annoying one, poor old Maxie :H

Papmom - you so make me chuckle, sometimes I have no idea what you are taking about but I got the gist of it, maybe a new Paphut could be on the cards! Yippeee! I just can't wait till you have your 1st sleep over.

Jolie - Its wonderful to hear you are finding that inner calm. I remember feeling that way too. Im trying to figure out whether I have just got used to that feeling or whether I've lost it a bit. Whichever it is, thank you for the reminder to get myself back there.

Bouv - I never knew Springsteen wrote "Blinded by the Light". You can be my partner in the pop quiz any day! Were you really a Sailor? Was that the beginning of the heavy drinking?

Rusty - I love the way you are seeing things, what a wonderful a-ha moment to realise that trigger has been taken from you. Its true about clouds and silver linings.

Janice - I hope you are doing ok and Im sending you much strength.

I enjoyed the talk last night but the best part was actually meeting a lady who is in the process of setting up a business called the Happiness Academy. We talked about so much that influences our happiness, in particular how I have found diet, nutrition and exercises key to my mental wellbeing. Anyway today she emailed me and would like to meet up with me next month to chat more. This is the kind of business I would so love to be involved with, at the moment she is only setting it up and couldn't pay me but I think it might be a great opportunity to offer my services voluntarily to see where it could lead.
                        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                        AF - JAN 1st 2010
                        NF - May 1996

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Great doggie pics :yay:
                          Thanks for posting them!

Chill, you may have found your future.....just what you are looking for. How cool is that??
                          And yes, Matilda is the annoyee, Maxie the reluctant recipient :H

I still have a good hour of daylight left to go pull some weeds & hopefully avoid the PI
                          I should put an ad in the paper for a PI removal expert (if there is such a thing)
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Hello May Favorite Flowers!

Oh it's so nice to work close to home. Time to pack for California.

Rustop-awww.....she is soooo cute! I bet she's a bundle of energy. Are you struggling to keep up with her? Probably not, as you've reached your WW goals.:goodjob:

SD-Molly is a little cutie....she looks so soft. I never get tired of "baby" pictures. So, what will you be doing with the summer now that you're on vacation?

Lav:-did I sell my steel-toed shoes on Ebay? Hell, no, I shipped them to you. I think you need them....just in case a ginormous ball of embroidery yarn rolls off the table and lands on your feet.:H I believe I saw Herman wearing them on "The Munsters.":H I'm with you on the granny naps, Lav, I took a "Rusty Nap" on Sunday. Man, it felt good to take a bona fide NAP as opposed to an AL-induced pass-out "nap."

Bouv-geeez....it's nice to have a nice man on this thread. Thank you for explaining the meaning of the term, "deuce" in "Blinded By the Light." I just know you were too classy a fellow in high school to replace the word deuce with the other. Regarding sailing, ohhhh, I love love love sailing. I used to crew on a J-24 with our yacht club here. What kind of boats do you sail? I grew up on a lake and I have to be near water. Chillgirl asked if that was the beginning of your heavy drinking....and my dad's brother was an accomplished sailor in the yacht club, and I can confirm that was the beginning of his plunge into AL darkness. He became sober at the age of 60.

Chillimania-:h I think you would be a fine addition to the Happiness Academy. And you are SO right that diet, nutrition and exercise are essential for wellbeing. The more I drank, the more garbage I ate. My doctor explained why I craved and then gorged on crap food....my body was so starved for healthy food and nutrients AL had stolen from me. NEVER AGAIN!

Papmom-what a weekend....a full Catholic Mass with no AC. BUMMER!!!! But of course, you were there, because you are such a committed person with boundless energy. Are you on demo duty this weekend?

Jolie-I agree with you that faith has never been more important. I'm glad you found or refound it.

Janice-thinking of you, and hope your Mam is not in pain. I know you must be in pain with memories flooding you. Please check in and let us know you're ok.

A shoutout hello and I miss you to Dill, Sooty, Star, Shelley, Cyn and anyone I may have missed...have a fabulous AF Tuesday night!

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Hey everyone

I really think I need to learn that photobucket thing - SD - beautiful pics of your doggy and you too rustop!

Speaking of which, hubby and I are getting ready to go walk our two - what a handful! We apparently never did teach them how to walk correctly on a leash. We use a harness and they still pull terribly. Think I need the dog whisperer!

Chill - glad you enjoyed the talk but even better that you made such a nice connection!

Papmom - hope the rest of your week gets easier - I know what it feels like to start the week off feeling behind - not fun.

Lav, Rusty, Bouv, Janice - hope all are enjoying your day.

Where's Blondie and Mr. G? Think maybe Blondie had a cruise coming up?

Anyway - have a great AF evening everyone!
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

May Flowers - Week 3

Jolie-Heyyyy!

Yes, I need to learn Photobucket, too. I smiled when you talked about putting your dogs on harnesses. I envision J. Lo in The Wedding Planner, walking those 5 dogs...some are harnesses, some not. They were walking her! Have a great night...and I'm glad you have a nice husband to walk your dogs with.:l

Comment

Working...
                                X