Simply Sober October - Week 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lav-I wonder if your daughter might also be allergic to gluten? I don't think it's just in wheat. Sounds like modified Paleo diet might be the way to go for her? I sure hope however she and her naturapath decide to go she gets relief soon!

LBH-oh that poor UPS man! But your lucky garden!! No wonder you have such goreous plants! I know exactly what you mean about straying off the path we set out on in the morning. I really have to catch myself often as I stop in the middle of one chore or project and start another. It takes really concentration for me to get back to the oringinal task.

Dill-so did you walk to Indiana???? Yes these choices we have to make now adays are just rotten. My main reaons for not going to Maine last weekend was the gas. I could have swung the entry fees and my campsite was 3/4 paid for. I could not however swing the gas $$$ for 600+ miles round trip.

IMT-hope you will pop in every once in a while to check in. congrats on the 90 days!! that's fabulous!

The store was horribly slow today. I did leave at 2. Just not worth staying plus I owed the company an hour which I gave by working 3 instead of 4 hours. I did my pet food shopping there today for the month and got some great deals. They gave me 50% off of 12 cans of food and I had a $3 coupon for the boyz kibble. I am well below budget for pet food this month.
    I also have been planning for a week my grocery shopping for the rest of the month. I have been eating strictly out of the fridge and freezer for the past 2 weeks and have pretty much cleaned them out. I used a site called Living Rich With Coupons | Extreme Coupon Blog, Printable Coupons & moreLiving Rich With Coupons and was able to see what the deals were at Stop and Shop and print out accompanying coupons. Planning very wisely and getting as much bang for my buck gave me a 45% savings on my purchase today and kept me $7 below my budget. I shouldn't have to buy anything more until November except maybe lettuce, mushrooms and eggs. Careful scrutiny of my receipt knocked off $.50 cents and they had to give me $5.00 back because the register never honored their "Buy 6 frozen items, get $5 back" deal.
    All in all, a very productive day and proof that with enough planning, even a single gal like me can use coupons to her advantage. We'll see what next month brings.

Have a great nite everyone!!
    New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Pmom, LOL! No I did not mean I would walk to Indiana, but when I re-read my post I see that that is what I implied. No, I simply meant I would have to take walks in the woods here on the farm rather than take a scenic drive! I am shocked every time I fill my tank these days.

Lav, I'm ok. I've been really busy with the virtual world, just as you have been, taking care of the grandkids and helping my son with household organization. Not his strong suit. I was sad to hear from my cousin yesterday that her mother passed away. She was the last of my Mom's family.

LBH, I hope you are feeling much better. Has the spasm gone away and the pinched nerve unpinched?
      Are you moving more freely again? I hope so. I do know how it is to have one's wings clipped.

Speaking of the cost of gas, did I ever mention here that Mr. D and I bought a chevy volt? It's been great to plug it in at night and not spend a penny on gas for my daily drive to and from work. Mind you, it only gets 35-40 miles on the electric power, then it starts to use gas. But I only drive about 10-12 miles to my work sites, so I usually get there and back in under 30 miles. It's a big savings with today's prices. We can get to and from the grocery in the next town over without using gas. It's been great!

The leaves have been letting go of their leaves this weekend. It's beautiful to watch them fall, but it's also a bit sad. Winter is nipping at our heels.

Have a peaceful af Sunday, one and all.
      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good morning Dill & everyone!

I see you were up before the chickens as well
        Matilda is such a farm dog & can't wait to get the day going for all of us!

I am on my second cup of coffee & haven't seen or heard from my patient yet. I know he's not had more than an hour or two of sleep the past few days, hospitals are notorious & noisey.

Dill, I think the Chevy Volt sounds like a great idea for you. That's really cool to plug in your car each night. Does it make a big difference on your electric bill?

I'm not doing anything special today, will see what develops. Maybe a granny nap - oh boy!!
        Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning one and all...

LBH and Dill, thanks for the information on squash, I will do something with the two I bought today. I am not really sure about Indian spices, but do think they are tasty. Roasting seems to be the way to go.

Papmom, you are really doing a great job looking for bargains anywhere you can. I have done that for years, out of both necessity and habit. I think it is a good thing to get deals. Yes, the gas prices really cramp our style, I too have not gone places after considering the cost of gas.

Lav, I agree that hospitals let you go too quickly, especially after surgery. Our health care is more expensive and we get less and less quality care. Everything is about money, not health and care. I feel sorry for doctors and nurses who rush around and are overextended. Hope YB is on the mend. And lots of people do not deal with pain well. I think if someone has never been really sick that real pain is shocking in its intensity. Well, if your daughter is allergic to wheat and can get rid of the pain and swelling with food choices, it will be a good thing in the long run. How scary for her to be that sick and in that much pain. I had an acquaintance who had sinus and allergy problems, even surgery and it was all about wheat intolerance. She was healthy if she stayed away from gluten. It was a process, but over time she learned what she could eat to feel healthy.

Dill, my son is doing fine at his job and school, just picked a really bad roommate, and I mean really bad. Inviting others to live their for free, not paying her share of the bills, and that is the tip of the iceberg. So, yesterday there was a fight with someone who is living there for free and he started to bring his stuff back, and is spending the night. I hate drama, but life seems to be filled with it. Sorry to hear that your son can't find work. We live in a fairly large multicity area, so there are jobs, but not alot pay well. With gas and rents so high, you have to have roomies, and you never really know someone till you live with them.

IMT, good luck to you. I often wonder reasons people fade away. To me, posting is for myself and others too. I hope that reading these posts gives people faith that they can change their lives and then deal successfully with life AF, longer term. Another important aspect to regualr posting is that if you need to begin again, you can; with support, friends, and encouragement. We are here for you.

I am going to enjoy this day, it has warmed up although with rain, but if I can, I will take a walk to watch the leaves blow off the trees. Grocery shopping and cooking squash are on the agenda too. To all, have a lovely fall Sunday.
          Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Good morning all!! So day 63ish for me.....I need to know....WHEN will this constant irritation over absolutely nothing leave???? People tell me that is normal but it is not fun ..... I am in such a bad mood!! For example, last night some friends of ours had a party. I'll bet it
            was really fun... but we did not go because it would have been a gigantic drink fest ....next weekend is my 30th high school reunion....but I am not going because it is just too big of a risk for me. These are two examples of many that have put me in this bad mood that I can't seem to shake.

trying to beat it back by exercising every day, getting a massage when I can afford it (wish I could afford one everyday) and treating myself to cookies or ice cream if I feel like it....

What has your experience been with your foul moods??
            I just won't anymore

Comment

HI Jennie and welcome!! You have found a nice soft place to land. We are a very supportive group and our one unifying trait is that we ALL want to live an AF life and work towards that everyday, sometimes every minute.
              First off, let me say :goodjob: on turning down 2 big social events. The fact that you recognized that they would be huge triggers for you and would sabotage your goal just shows me that you get it. Thinking that you will go to these events "with a plan" almost always fails. You need to protect your sobriety with the ferocity of a mother lion and you are doing that.

Now, as far as the irritability-everyone experiences PAWS differently. For me it was depression and insomnia. And everyone works on decreasing the effects differently. For some exercise and pristine nutrition (no sugar, no simple carbs) does the trick. For others, sugar actually helps a little but there is a risk of becoming a sugar addict- I am a prime example. You just need to try different things to see which tames the PAWS beast the best. Definitely coming on here to vent and contribute is a huge help.

I will tell you that those feeling will diminish over time. Just ride the wave, be good to yourself and post post post/read, read, read. And, you will eventually be able to attend social events that seem to revolve around drinking and you won't be tempted. It took me over 6 months but finally I was able to feel confident enough to go, have a good time and not stress over the fact that I was having cranberry and seltzer while everyone else was having wine and beer. What I found was that with one exception (my best friend's engagement party), no one cared that I wasn't drinking and as a bonus, I had the best conversations and laughed harder than I ever had! I wasn't worried about spilling my drink, slurring my words or saying/doing something stupid. But best of all, I didn't have a care in the world when driving home. Bring on the DUI checkpoints!!

So, in summary, what you are feeling is normal for you, it will decrease and you will be able to socialize at big events again. It just takes time and patience.

Good luck and please join us anytime!! We'd love to have you!

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Thanks!! I guess it is a withdrawal symptom....but two months later? geesh.
                I just won't anymore

Comment

Oh yes.paws can affect one even a year later!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Good evening all,

I have my house to myself once again - good thing too because I'm exhausted. The patient decided he can handle things on his own now ~ good

Hi jennie!
                    Congrats on your AF time, great work.
                    Have you actually tried making a gratitude list? It sounds pretty simple but it is effective. Replace those feelings of deprivation with happy & positive thoughts. I've gotten a lot out of meditation. I love the guided meditations on www.chopra.com
                    I also love The ToDo Institute: Mindfulness, Procrastination, and Gratitude using Morita and Naikan Therapies

Wishing everyone a peaceful night.
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                    X