Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - Dec. 3 - Dec. 9

Hi Everyone:

Last night's BB reading was the chapter "How It Works." There was the description of all the ways we tried to control our drinking...something I could really relate to. There was also the description of the insanity of the first drink...the example of the guy who pours whiskey into his milk, thinking that's going to make it OK. Also, the guy who walks into a restaurant & just "decides" to have a cocktail. I can so relate to that...especially after this relapse I had. It wasn't spurred by anything at all. I just "decided" to have a drink to fall asleep. No thoughts about the consequences. No memory of what damage alcohol did in my life. The relapse taught me that w/one drink, I'm an active alcoholic again. The obsession/craving fell into place immediately. Cunning, baffling, powerful. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing Mary. It's amazing how quickly that craving comes back isn't it. And all the lies we tell ourselves, totally believing at the time that they make sense! My favourite was to truly believe i would only have a couple of shots this time, yet buying a litre bottle 'just in case'. Um, think my illnes knew something I didn't!

Well I'm glad to say I had my MRI scan last week and the results came back with nothing out of the ordinary. Actually I kind of wasn't glad at the time. I wanted there to be something wrong so we could fix it. I am now no nearer to finding out why I've been ill since June. Who knows, maybe it was just bad luck.

Anyway, I have been feeling better this last week or two, although I'm still very tired and have to stay on the meds for the time being at least.

An AA friend texted me at the weekend to see how I was - he'd offered to take me to a meeting before, but I was too ill to go. So I asked him if he wanted to go this week.

It'll be nice to get back to meetings. I've only been to two since June, although luckily I have been able to speak to AA friends on the phone and via FB. I'm not one of these people who needs a meeting every day, or even every week - but I do need to have them and peple in recovery in my life. You never know when you might desperately need them, so hopefully as I'm getting better, I can get back to going regularly.

Plus, there are some lovely people there I haven't seen in ages, and I always learn something or can connect my own story or thoughts with other people in recovery. AA is a gift like that.

Look forward to reading everyone's posts this week!
    B x
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

K:

It's amazing how the AA community rallies around us when we're not well. Glad you're able to get to meetings.

Yes, the lies we tell ourselves. Bill W calls it rationalization in the BB.

M
      October 3, 2012

Comment

This morning's meeting was from "Living Sober." It was the chapter on being w/people who drink.
        -How to refuse a drink gracefully.
        -Leaving early when things get rough.
        -Being out in the drinking world sober.
        -etc.

Very informative, especially during the holiday season.

I wasn't a social drinker. I mostly drank in my home, alone & in secret. So, gatherings w/alcohol don't bother me too much...especially if the drinking is normal, not alcoholic. That said: I very much notice how much & what people are drinking. Also, it's a little unusual being the only completely sober person in the room. I tend to notice the small mistakes & repetitions that occur even after one drink.

Mary
        October 3, 2012

Comment

I noticed that there are 2 weekly aa threads. That sometimes happens.

This morning we read step 4. One old-timer shared that a reasonable job at step 4 is fine. It doesn't have to be perfect in order for it to work. As long as we share what we are ashamed of & have kept a secret, we probably won't drink. Good advice for me, as "easy does it" does not come naturally to me.

Mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Thanks for that Mary. I believe in staying as honest as possible, though sometimes we have to be careful who we tell our secrets to. If I screw up at something, or if I'm feeling really bad, then I need to let it out. Doesn't matter if it's to friends, at AA, to my mum - I'm allowed to be sensible and selective about that. But I must tell someone, especially about thoughts around alcohol, or guilt, because those will just drag me down. I know that's one of the later steps, but it relates to step 4.
            Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Kimb: You're absolutely right. We don't have to tell everything to everybody. I've heard some pretty outrageous revelations at open meetings. There's a right time & a right person for everything we need to say.

I'm currently working on step 3 & won't rush it. I think one of the reasons for my relapse is that I took my will back. I thought I could go against what I knew HP wanted for me.

M
              October 3, 2012

Comment

hi guys, just popped in to say i got 60 days today...wootwoot!

been busy lately, will post again soon.

hope all are well, and where is doggy???

peace!
                10-06-2012

Comment

BG: Congratulations. You & I are running neck & neck. M
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                  X