Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Sun 9 Dec

Hi guys,

Squeeking a last post on the Sunday thread. So many great conversations today, I'm sorry to have been out for them.

SL, I just wanted to add my support and best wishes; a big hug from your local peep. You are brave, and strong, and tomorrow will be a better day.

I'm sleepy, but wanted to share some from my night. I went to a holiday party. I wasn't feeling anxious; I'm getting comfortable with standing out as a part of this journey (like at the wine & food fest last week). But blessedly, the host is a RA, so most of the crowd was not drinking, or drinking lightly. The focus was much more on conversation than anything else. I thought about how much more comfortable I was than in heavy drinking surroundings. It reminded me of college. I never took drugs or smoked pot, and wasn't invited to those occassions. I never missed them, as I knew I didn't want to do it. So socializing is evolving from resisting drinks to resisting the odd man out environment. I wonder where this new road will take me. I very much enjoyed her crowd of friends.

I'm taking a zumba class on Sundays. I'm rediscovering my rhythm; it's nice!

Mick, I met a man tonight who is (like me) the youngest of seven children. We are also both Irish catholic (our faith tends to large families, or use to). I noticed he wasn't drinking either. Interesting commonalities.

Turnaround mentioned our brains need to regenerate, heal. Are their dietary ideas on how to assist this?

Night,
    Cat
    "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af day Sun 9 Dec

Catbuddy, what's an RA?

my top tips for healing the brain:

-omega 3's from fish sources. and lots of them!
      -eat real food, like the paleo diet or one of it's related lifestyles
      -exercise is CRITICAL to brain health
      -get 7 to 9 hours of sleep
      -exercise your brain with new challenging tasks. use it or lose it is the axiom here.

nighty night friends....
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

af day Sun 9 Dec

RA = recovering alcoholic.

Okay, it's really lights out now, since I just learned that my brain needs sleep to heal.

Cat
        "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Working...
        X