Clear All

af day Thursday 27 Dec

Orf up a hill mesel...

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

Good morning Abbers,

What has happened to this place?
      It sounds like a real looney bin this morning :H :H

I'm trying to maintain my own sanity this morning!
      I am at my son's house, watching my grandsons & dealing with two obnoxious Golden Retrievers!
      The hardest part of this is preventing the 4 year old from doing too much damage to his younger brother who is only 20 months old

All I know is -
      I would never be fit enough to handle a day like this if I was still drinkin, just sayin

Have a great Thursday everyone!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

Hello all!

RC and Mick, you both have me in stitches over here with your repartee. :H It is good to laugh so soon after you rise for the day. Thanks for the coffee, Mick. Tastes great, as usual.

SF, I'm glad you came here and posted. I know you were feeling unsteady. I think it is the best thing you can do for yourself to get back on your path. Of course you are welcome, too. I'd have a hard time trusting anyone here if I felt that I'd get kicked to the curb if I screwed up. :l

Porquoi, I actually love your name. I always think of Porquoi Pas, however. Why not sobriety, right?

TDN, I'm in awe that you used to be a French professor. I am such a Francophile, but my high-school French is badly rusted and in need of repair. I'm glad you are starting to get things sorted out legally, and I hope that the snow doesn't get in your way too much today.

Hello, Hippyman, how are you today?

Thank you everyone for the explanation of Boxing Day. It's cool learning new things.

I want to post a pic of my daughter and me on Christmas Eve. How do you do that and get it to be a decent size in a post? My daughter pried herself out of here last night, and although I already miss her, I can get the house back in order again.

Well, it snowed again yesterday, but it then turned to sleet and rain, and today it is slushy, windy and cold. Not my favorite, TBH. Saturday we're supposed to get more snow.

Anyhoo, hi to CanToo, Lav, and everyone else to come.

Hugs,
        :l
        YahYah
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

SF, all I can say is just keep trying! That is what I have had to do.

YahYah, I was a French teacher, but never a professor:H Taught jr high and high school. Did trips and exchanges, too--in another life

Ordering books on ebay from suggestions on the What We Are Reading Thread. Ebay has great deals, and a lot of the books come from the Good Will and have free shipping and help a great cause! Ordered Drunkard, Smashed, Lucky Man (didn't know Michael J Fox was an alcoholic) and another one, which I can't remember The first two here I got for 25% off (when you order 2) and free shipping, so under $6.00! Wondering if there is any interest in having a book exchange? I have several I've read and found great and would be happy to send to anybody for the cost of shipping. A few may have damage from my one dog ho eats paper:H I had a number of others, but gave them to people in AA last year. I really do love reading of others' stories of alcoholism and how they overcame it.

Lav, you are a true saint for all the baby (and dog) sitting you do!
          "One day at a time."

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

YoungAtHeart;1432963 wrote: Porquoi, I actually love your name. I always think of Porquoi Pas, however. Why not sobriety, right?
            ....oooh I like that.
            Will have to start signing off with PPQP. Mick added the first P for Positive and you've added the last P for a positive spin on my name. :thanks: YahYah....PPQP

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

TDN I love to read as well but I think getting them myself will be cheaper than you sending them. Not sure as I don't know where you live :H ... PPQP

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

eeky: Yoooo Hoooo SF.....you out there lurking around? Hope the anxiety is lifting....PPQP

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

Lavande;1432960 wrote: All I know is -
                  I would never be fit enough to handle a day like this if I was still drinkin, just sayin
                  AMEN to that Lav...PPQP

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

Morning all, yes Mick feeling calmer for sure.
                    Det - thanks for the movie ideas - have not seen bridesmaids yet, might look for that tonight - do love Pretty Woman. Went to bed feeling really very happy.
                    PPQ - that really sums up Boxing Day for me - a laid back day!!!
                    Well RC - sorry you are taking your work to the winter break!! (PS talk about slow, or maybe it is just hungover - as I type I have JUST worked out where Arsey comes from:H:H)
                    Not sure what today will bring - one Daughter is curled up in my bed, the other is still sleeping - the joys of being a teenager - looks as if we have a day break in the rain so might just have to make them move a bit, and maybe another movie night! Love being laid back and un-hung!!!
                    Hoping for good news Det for you - hanging on waiting would be a killer for me, will try not to ask until next year.
                    TDN, hope it all works out, so glad you are making progress...
                    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

ahoy mateys! i love the loony bin and I fit right in with this nice straight jacket they loaned me

thanks for the kickstart Treetops. just to be a smartypants you may remind your doctor that the only type of cholesterol test that has anything to do with determining your actual cardiac risk is a 'lipoprotein particle count'. PM me if you want more info or have trouble with insomnia LOL

if I were surfing today I'd be "unhanging 10" ooooh boy that was obscure.

otay, back to work

be well friends
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

Hi all...

I'm still in Texas, returning home tomorrow. Tonight was the perfect ending to the trip.

I have six siblings, most married with children and grandchildren. Five out of six were here at various times this past week, with families in tow. It is a madhouse, and SO LOUD when we get together. But we really broke the ice, finally; it's tough to reconnect when you see each other once a year.

The reactions to my sobriety spanned the globe. I'm happy that's over with; next time it will just be me, a non-drinker like some family members are vegetarians. I found this time that we can make room for each other in our 40s (only me) and 50s - some are rich, some poor, some healthy, some not, some loud, some quiet - and everyone finally accepting each other.

There was one startling moment. My brother and BIL were making martinis. My son got down the olives, and asked for a glass of water. He wanted to be like his uncles. I gave it to him, thinking sadly that I didn't know what to say. A big reason I gave up drinking is to be a better role model for him; his dad did the same. How do you folks handle messaging around drinking when other family members do it? I know he will naturally be curious. I just hope to spare him my road.

YahYah, I got yarn, tools and instructions and have attempted to learn to crochet. It's so much harder than I thought. Any tips on how to learn this?

My favorite memory from this trip: My sober sister, who gave up drinking 25 years ago, shared her journey and stories with me. Near the end of our weekend together, I went up to her, held out my hand and said, "Hi, I'm your sober adult sister. We've never met." She looked so happy and hugged me.

Now, get me home.

Cat
                        "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af day Thursday 27 Dec

you just brought tears to my eyes Cat....damn u

Comment

Working...
                          X