af day Sat 12 Jan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Sat 12 Jan

another new day here! How is our Secret Society for Sobriety? Scattered to the four winds - enduring the onslaught of winter, the scorching Aussie summer, the beaches of New Zealand, the dangerous stairs of the UK??? Not to mention the USA justice system, the ex's, the crappy economic situation and boring old 'happy hours' - still hope is on the horizon - we go grocery shopping, haul ourselves off to exercise, and for me - yes! I will get to clean the house this weekend. Consider this an archeological fieldtrip. If you hear of a biohazard crisis in the South Pacific - you know why.

Ahh the TENS machine that Can Too recommended for Mick. I had one of those when I was undergoing what would turn out to be over a day and a half of baby labour nearly 15 years ago. Bloody thing was useless - worked as a distraction and something for me to vent at!

Take care my friends - the day awaits me - lovely and sunny - great day for drying washing (now I am getting excited!)

af day Sat 12 Jan

Marnin all...well well ..and whos a clever literary budgie then?good thread start tree :goodjob: The dangerous stairs have been recaptured and are lying dormant in their original location, their parting gift to both my posterior and leg still visible and sore!!!
    How are you?
    Tea and cofeee on the go for all that wish to partake

Right then off we go

Affers Ky..you ok? see you have been treading the boards again...honest you are allowed to sleep! 30 degrees...not bad we had the same.......3 days at 10 !!!!Had a look at holidays yesterday and saw one that I fancy....8th Feb...see the consultant on the 7th thats why I postponed holidays till then...lo and behold..yesterday the wee brown envelope pops through the letterbox....Dear sir,in view of your appointment on the 7th of Feb, unfortunately,,blah blah..please contact us to rearrange it!!!No problem ..after the holiday..sod them..anyway I digress..hope you are ok..never replied to my pm did ya?

Morning Lav...well how are you today? whats in store for you today after this coffee?weather is anything like this I wouldnt bother!..its blowing a hooley outside here..even my rabbits have got fur coats on!!

Morning Jockspawn..doesnt really sound too good that...back to Scottish lass ! how are you today?Congratulations...your day has been lengthened to 26 hours in order for you to fit some walking time in!! Yep I like walking too...so far cant even manage stairs properly!!!Well done on going to the shops without going on a booze cruise...dont forget the oxo next time

Hiya SF...you ok deep down??.yes there are things in life that you can change and other you cant..focus on the ones you can control...the rest well it isnt really worth bothering about they will happen!..again my opinion...you are getting too wrapped up in what ifs and whys..You drank for 20 plus years..reckon we all did that..Me I reckon nearer 40.Dont start taking it apart..why did you do and all that..its gone its a pointless analysis..you dont drink now...ergo the unopened case of wine in the car..which I would ditch.. guarantee when you do you will feel a sense of relief and think ..wow that was close. certainly wouldnt be taking it to any event...and yes we have all bought booze before and then thought nope it aint happening and dumped it
    As for crying and that,,we all do that ..every single one of us..no harm or shame in that..just try to recognise it and why...Sometimes I cry and get pissed off...I now know why and when it will happen, so I deal with it in my own way
    Interestingly, you say that no one knows you on a personal level as a person...that applies to us all..we all have our own separate lives to lead, lives that alcohol screwed up..and thats what we are here for... to support each other in recognising that we can lead lives without alcohol.. not lead everyone's life for them.Now to do that I dont need to be your best friend, next door neighbour or anything...all I need to know is that there is another human being in a similar situation that needs help..Maybe you should ask yourself the question ..do you actually know yourself?..and what do you want? set out a game plan with a goal structure in it.... look at the positives and not the negatives. dont know if this all makes sense.I am not that eloquent at speech play...sermon over

Hiya Cantoo...how are you..see there we go again ..sheer poetry! :H Tried the tens machine ..didnt do that much good..back to ice now!! should get some home grown this weekend :H Is it this weekend the Palm Springs thingy? if so hope you enjoy it

Catbuddy morning to you...maturity? hmmmI was born at an early age and have stayed the same ever since!!!..dont know the answer to that one..as for the new hobbies etc...yes you do find that you have more time..time that you werent shuffling about in an alcoholic daze over which you have faint recollections!!, but I still find at times there isnt enough..thats about me planning!!!

Rightyho peeps thats it..long post today apologies..wont be here tomorrow morning unless weather is really bad..will be on my travels take care.. have a great weekend

A Virginia State trooper pulled a car over on I-64 about 2 miles south of the Virginia/West Virginia State line..
    When the trooper asked the driver why he was speeding, the driver said he was a Magician and Juggler and was on his way to Beckley, WV to do a show at the Shrine Circus. He didn't want to be late.
    The trooper told the driver he was fascinated by juggling and said if the driver would do a little juggling for him then he wouldn't give him a ticket. He told the trooper he had sent his equipment ahead and didn't have anything to juggle.
    The trooper said he had some flares in the trunk and asked if he could juggle them.
    The juggler said he could, so the trooper got 5 flares, lit them and handed them to him.
    While the man was juggling, a car pulled in behind the patrol car. A drunken good old boy from West Virginia got out, watched the performance briefly, then went over to the patrol car, opened the rear door and got in. The trooper observed him and went over to the patrol car and opened the door asking the drunk what he thought he was doing.
    The drunk replied, "You might as well take my ass to jail, because there ain't no way I can pass that test."

The elderly Italian man went to his parish priest and asked if the priest would hear his confession.
    "Of course, my son," said the priest.
    "Well, Father, at the beginning of World War Two, a beautiful woman knocked on my door and asked me to hide her from the Germans; I hid her in my attic, and they never found her."
    "That's a wonderful thing, my son, and nothing that you need to confess," said the priest.
    "It's worse, Father; I was weak, and told her that she had to pay for rent of the attic with her s*xual favors," continued the old man.
    "Well, it was a very difficult time, and you took a large risk - you would have suffered terribly at their hands if the Germans had found you hiding her; I know that God, in his wisdom and mercy, will balance the good and the evil, and judge you kindly," said the priest.
    "Thanks, Father," said the old man. "That's a load off of my mind. Can I ask another question?"
    "Of course, my son," said the priest.
    The old man asked, "Do I need to tell her that the war is over?"

A man in a pub asks for a beer.
    The barman says, "Sure, that'll be one dollar."
    "One dollar?" exclaims the man. Reading the menu, he says, "Could I have steak and chips?"
    "Certainly," says the barman, "that'll be two dollars."
    "Two dollars?" cries the man. "You're joking. Where's the guy who owns this place?"
    The barman says, "Upstairs, with my wife"."
    The man says, "What's he doing upstairs with your wife?"
    The barman says, "The same thing I'm doing to his business."

A priest is walking down the street one day when he notices a very small boy trying to press a doorbell on a house across the street.
    However, the boy is very small and the doorbell is too high for him to reach.
    After watching the boy's efforts for some time, the priest moves closer to the boy's position.
    He steps smartly across the street, walks up behind the little fellow and, placing his hand kindly on the child's shoulder leans over and gives the doorbell a solid ring.
    Crouching down to the child's level, the priest smiles benevolently and asks, "And now what, my little man?"
    To which the boy replies, "Now we run!"

A woman walks into a pet store wanting to buy a pet for her husband, but she finds all the pets are so so expensive.
    The woman says to the clerk at the counter, "I'm looking to buy a pet for my husband but I'm on a very short budget!."
    "No worries," replies the clerk.
    "We've just ordered in a very large bullfrog that can give bl*wjobs."
    "Bl*wjobs," says the woman, buying the frog, thinking it would be a great gag gift, so she goes home and gives the frog to her husband explaining the frogs talent.
    With a laugh the husband walks off leaving the frog in the kitchen.
    In the middle of the night the woman wakes up to the sound of pots and pans flying around in the kitchen.
    She goes down to find her husband and the frog reading cookbooks.
    "What are you two doing?" she asks.
    "Well," says the husband. "If I can teach this frog to cook you are outta here."

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

A day without sunshine is like, night.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.

Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Remember half the people you know are below average.

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

I intend to live forever - so far so good.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

Morning afternoon and evening Abbers,

Short and sweet tonight..... Got a touch of an upset gut an hour ago.....prolly swallowed too much pool water :H
      Mick the flares joke was priceless! Will PM tomorrow , bit washed out ATM. Your bum healing, mines breaking down, what a pair!

Bloody hot today TT, 30 degrees in the shade, ChCh warm too? Laid around all afternoon panting worse than the dogs.
      Better shut up Blondie will shoot me for being a wus

Cantoo....will take me a long while to catch up with you on fitness but at least I am trying now. Doing 50 laps of the pool and 5 km every other day. Don't want to push too hard at first cos I did that before and injured my knee and sacroiliac joint.

SF.... What Mick said

SL.... Keep it going and DON'T look back. Yesterday has nothing to do with today.

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

Hello and a belated Happy New Year to all the lovely folkes who inhabit this thread.

All is great in Shueland but I did have a 4 week relapse late Nov. Then I got back on the wagon and had my first AF New Year's eve ever.

Have a great weekend, peeps.

What will you be getting up to?

For me tomorrow is 7:00 AM drive to the ski runs ...

For various corporate reasons I am avoiding MWO like the plague at work, apologies for all the brief messages buT I have been reduced to lurking on the blackberry - or the Ipad at home, when I can pry it away from my son and his friends.
        workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

SHUE......yay! How the very devil are you. Thought you had been abducted. Glad you are well and over your dance with the devil. I don't think I could recover that quickly......good on you.

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

KY !!!!!! I lurked your posts a lot !

I am on soccer mom duty at the moment.

As for the recovery ... This was my first full blown relapse since ... The summer? ... Previously I only had slips. This time I kept drinking every day knowing I need to stop, wanting to stop but not finding the strength ...

4 weeks felt like forever.

Peace !
            workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

shueaddict;1442666 wrote: KY !!!!!! I lurked your posts a lot !

I am on soccer mom duty at the moment.

As for the recovery ... This was my first full blown relapse since ... The summer? ... Previously I only had slips. This time I kept drinking every day knowing I need to stop, wanting to stop but not finding the strength ...

4 weeks felt like forever.

Peace !
              Took me 8 months so well done you..... You've seen the pain again, no more eh?

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

Just wanted to say Welcome Back, Shue!! I figured aomething had happened, since you posted a lot when AF. Glad you are back. Guess the corporate leaders can see your online activity? Wise to avoid that.

Had a job interview yesterday, but at $10 an hour and no days off at all for six months, I really am not interested. Only perk is that there are health benefits, and I would only have to pay about $140 a month myself. But not going to take it--if offered, which may not even happen--just for that.

Off to the flower shop, but just until noon. Got freezing rain overnight, and roads are supposed to be slick until 9:00 or so. And the "warm" weather we had the last few days was offset either by high winds or very cloudy skies. Going into the fifties tomorrow, so they say:H

Have a great AF day, everyone!
                "One day at a time."

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

Good morning Abbers,

Rain & fog here too TDN but warmish temps!
                  Sorry about that job interview, not enough $$ in my opinion
                  Something better will open up, just toss your intentions out to the universe

Shue, welcome back, glad the relapse was not prolonged.

Greetings TT, Mick, Kuya & everyone!
                  It's hard to believe some of you are suffering in a heatwave right now. Keep yourselves safe & hydrated

Mick, I love the one-liners - going to send them to a friend

Nothing super fabulous on my to-do list today, just clean up duties. Ho Hum :H

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Saturday!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

Shuesy...dobra dyen ..kak si?? glad to see you again welcome aboard the abb.......anti booze bus..so youve got the sneakies at work checking up on you?
                    sod em..glad to see you anyway..noticed the shoe on your avatar has changed...same shoe but faced the other way on a desk!!! hows that for boring??
                    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

Thanks for getting us started Tree. Hope you had a good day. You are like a day and a half ahead of me, so it feels silly to use the present tense with you, when it is already tomorrow night where you are!

Everyone please fill me in on what a TENS machine is, however.

Shue, it is great to see you back again. Sounds like you need your own I-Pad. They now have I-Pad minis too, so maybe they aren't too awfully expensive. Good for you on having an AF New Year! That is sure the way to go after having a relapse! You have been missed, so I hope you can post more frequently.

Hey Mick. Sorry your bum is still a bummer. You did take a hell of a spill, though. I'm glad it didn't disturb your AF spirit though! You're still the best cheerleader we have.

Good on you for getting into the exercise, Kuya. I have a zumba toning routing calling my name this morning. Gotta run to the post office first, though. Yuck!

CanToo's exercise regimen fills me with envy. I don't have nearly that kind of energy, but maybe someday I will if I keep it up. What do you have planned today, CanToo?

Thinking of you, SF. You have what it takes. I appreciate your attitude toward your parents. The trick, I think, is to learn to turn off what you internalized from their attitudes and make your own life and develop your own attitudes. I'm glad you are doing something differently with your son.

Hi, SL, you're sounding pretty good these days. Keep up the good work.

Miss you, PPQP!

TDN, if I'm not mistaken, seems like you need one more post to be a senior member! Time to par-tay, girl, in the AF style we are all becoming used to. That will be one cranberry and ginger, please! Hang in there in your search for work.

I've been a little anxious and down since finding out that the court is allowing the tenant to stay in my house until the end of the month. Not only am I missing the income of $1,000/month, I am worried about having the money to fix it up sufficiently to get a decent price on it. Sometimes I just feel rather paralyzed, and the worry is getting in the way of my getting other stuff done that I do have control over. I'll just keep on trucking and remind myself that it will all work out in the end. It's hard though. Nothing makes me crazier than money, or the lack thereof. I can't wait until this waiting game is over.

Anyhow, that's it for me so far. Better get on with doing the things I can get done today.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

Hugs,
                      :l
                      YahYah
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

:yay: TDN :yay:

CONGRATS TO OUR NEWEST SENIOR MEMBER

:wave::wave::wave:

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

Hi everyone...haven't had a chance to read back but when I saw YahYah's (:hallo comment I had to respond.

Just popped in on my way back from my Dad's, excellent visit, he was in good form.

Off again so will read back properly later and chat then.

Have a great AF Saturday all and all to come....PPQP

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR NEWEST

Three Dog Night

:contrat1000:

:yougo: :crowned: :wave: :crowned: :yougo:

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af day Sat 12 Jan

Well dear friends ? off to the party tonight - today my mantra changed from ?I?m not going to drink? to ?I don?t want to drink? ? I was out walking (more about that in a min) and that thought popped into my head, and I stopped sharp ? I have no idea where it came from, but there it was ? and it was wonderful! Could this truly be happening?? I am so ready for this, and so hope that it is here to stay?..
                              So, the girls ride at a ranch on Saturdays ? I take them and then run to town to get groceries, then home to unload, stick the laundry in and head back to get them. Today it was one of those wonderful cold days (33 F ? well this is California!!) with blue skies ? and I thought of CanToo?and walked ? about 6 miles, it was truly fabulous ? saw a wonderful red fox, lots of magnificent hawks ? walked along the water and looking at the snow covered hills on the horizon. Loved every minute, thank you CanToo. I have to work out how to make this more of a habit. Sadly I don?t get a lunch hour ? I am lucky if I can squeak 5 mins in to get some food ready ? I had mentioned a while back that my office location changed and I now have 1 ? commute each way ? in order to get the girsl to school and be back to get them supper, I work thru breaks, so gym in lunch hour is not going to happen ? I will keep looking for ways to make something happen though.
                              Wrote this before signing on and wondered where everyone was, then realized I had gone into tomorrow already ? Mick?s fault, he confused me!
                              I don?t suffer from anxiety like a lot of you are describing, but I do have moments ? so I commiserate with you who have it so much worse. I did drink to be more social, as I am very introverted, and drinking gave me courage ? but it just went from bad to worse. I have to work at speaking up in social situations ? hate it!
                              TDN ? no way $10 per hour, so sorry!! YAH ? am feeling good too ? when walking I was thinking why I seem to be managing this time, and a lot has to do with this thread ? you all hang on to your sobriety and are proud of it ? when posting in other places there were so many lapses that a bit of me thought well if they can slip, I can too. it is not that there aren?t slips here, but it is the attitude with which it is done. glad to see you back Shue, and quietly determined to get back to where you were ? that sort of attitude is motivating me so much ? I really don?t wander much further than this safe place.
                              So Happy Saturday all, see you on Sunday ? and not venturing back to tomorrow till it comes here on the West Coast ? need my weekend off too much!!!
                              “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Working...
                              X