af day Fri 18 Jan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Fri 18 Jan

Hiya, another day up here (I am turning the globe upside down to confuse you all!). Its still New Zealand - land of very confusing weather but not as cold as some folk - ay, Mick, Can Too, and others!

Saw a little healthy discussion between Mick and Pauly - also Molly, Kuya, Lavande etc on the thread of the 17 Jan (will maybe take a peek later to see how this pans out). I really appreciate this thread and for me, the daily checking in (when possible), the routine is great. Even Mick's jokes are part of the daily ritual.

Sometimes we bring up bits of the past but I like the way the monthly thread is mostly about the here and now. I also need to be in a thread where there is real lifelong commitment to abstinence - I don't want 'little excuses' creeping into my radar. Its a bit soon for me to give much advice to the Newbies but that time will come I hope. Also I give out so much advice and support in my job (as many on this thread do in their jobs) so I need a space where I don't always have to be a cheerleader (plagiarising that from Kuya!).
    But happy to be the chirpy bird that starts the thread most days!

as for my day yesterday - shopping was kind of fun but daughter was very fussy - good thing I guess (thankyou school uniforms where there is no choice!). I was a bit down last night - worried about my blood tests due next week. I have a slight twinge in my side - don't even know if its the liver - as its so slight - and will be seeing the dr next week after the bloods. But its putting a dampner on my mood, distracting me. So not always a chirpy bird.

Must away and get that coffee and toast ready. Might be really wicked and have an egg today (cholesterol police looking?). Won't forget the milk thistle - my breakfast garnish du jour!
    Hugs and a Happy Abby day!

af day Fri 18 Jan

Good morning, TT, and nighty night for me.

Interesting thread yesterday. I speak for myself only ... The monthly abs has been a lifeline. Look, people are living normal lives past the AL. It was and continues to be inspiring. So nice to get away from the constant and immediate struggle of the newbies. All the talk about struggling with AL was getting me down. I consider myself in between, getting better at living AF but obviously still having issues. I also don't really feel "qualified " to give advice.

I am travelling for the moment so I'll be brief. You are all fantastic and very strong people with great big hearts and I am honored to be in your company.

I am also very tired and find it hard to keep up an intelligent train of thought.
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

I see that there is some issue on "who can post here and not". I always found this the best place to come if long term AF was your goal. Other places on the board do not interest me.

What frustrates me.....is people want to put rules on who can post where. This is a message board. Where people look to for help. Anyone should be able to post. If you need a private group.....create one....Long Term Abstainers...seems to have been created for you...so post there.

That said.....I'll post here again after I have "six months". Most likely....you will not see me again. Because I completely disagree with the group here on this one.

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

Hi SF - my reading is that there is no 'group' decision at all about rules as to who can post for this forum so please reconsider staying away. We all have different views and as far as I can see - its an open message board for those who are committed to long term AF as a goal.

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

Morning everybody, how are we all on the booze busting trail today?....
          Right then off we go...

Tea and coffee on the go now for anyone that wants it.....

Apologies for whatever this post turns into today..for the first time I may not go through all the names individually...but we shall see what happens

I posed the question yesterday about this thread, and the possibility of a what seems to be favourite as a name, a maintenance thread...let me expand on that a wee bit ,because in some cases it was not understood, and taken out of context, to the extent one person decided to take themselves off the thread!!!
          Lets get a few pointers down first...

This is not my thread......it was here before all,certainly the majority of people on the site were.It belongs to us..there are no rules with the exception of dont be disrespectul to one another in any way shape or form

It is not an exclusive club......it is imo a progressive move on from the nn

There are a lot of people not only on this forum, that spend some serious time on here trying to help others out...not because they are addicted to the site, got sod all else to do, but I would imagine as in my case,have been helped ,are grateful,and want to help others..at the same time it helps me not to fall either

No one is kicking anyone off this thread or even has the right to.

The aim of the site is to get people away from the power of alcohol...not a friendship site....It is absolutely brilliant that we make these friendships...as I have and do, I am pretty sure that we are pm ing different folks and meeting up etc and that is ace,,however the thing that brought us together is the fact that we are/were however you want to put it alcoholics.

The aim of the abs thread is and it does, to make people comfortable in talking about life in general, with a focus on staying af......there are some exceptions, where people need longer or different methods to try and quit drinking..FOR EXAMPLE...and thats all it is..(hope you dont mind those named people ) Jackie on the army thread is struggling with someone trying to give up al...tried everything she can think of but not getting through..Is there any place that she can say I need help with this one......and Lav says had one similar to this 2 years ago, have you tried such and such?..after all alcohol and drinking is triggered...the trick is to neutralise the trigger.
          In addition to that, now I can only speak for myself...even putting this thread together every day takes me about an hour at least, plus the times that I nip on during the day etc.If you look at the contents of some of the posters on this site, they are not a jump in and say hi and gone again, but have got constructive comment through them...that takes time and energy..again where is there a place where those people...I hate the third person, so where is there that Molly,Kuya JC,Byrdlady Mario, and good people like them can recharge their batteries?In addition,they have their own jobs...and possibly health issues too, so really there should be a maintenance place too where they can if they want discuss issues or indeed just chill

There are a lot of good people on the abs thread...good people who have given their commitment and been successful...and that is why it is such a positive thread, because a lot of hard work goes into it, as I know does with the others,and in return all that is expected is to make that commitment to trying to stay booze free enjoy the thread and contribute..not really a big ask for your health is it?
          Personally I hate the title long termers.....came across more than enough of them in my last job!!!:H:H
          I think time has got to be an indicator, but I think attitude is more important..there are people like me with short time and also with a lot less time that are determined not to drink and very positive about that and "the switch has clicked" for want of better words.

Thats it folks all I have got to say..so in a nutshell really.....the thread stays the same...only thing being please have the commitment and want to stop..

Secondly the thoughts on a "maintenance " or some sort of down time thread seem pretty positive...need to get some more thoughts on that..the hows why what wherefores etc ..any contributions gratefully received

so business as usual folks... right do you want to hear more of me or the jokes???ok jokes it is!!

A woman arrived at a party. While scanning the guests, she spotted an attractive man standing alone.
          She approached him, smiled and said, “Hello. My name is Carmen.” “That’s a beautiful name,” he replied. “Is it a family name?”
          “No,” she replied. As a matter of fact I gave it to myself. It represents the things that I enjoy the most – cars and men. Therefore I chose “Carmen”. “What’s your name?” she asked.
          He answered “B.J. Titsengolf.”

“It’s just too hot to wear clothes today,” Jack says as he stepped out of the shower, “Honey, what do you think the neighbors would think if I mowed the lawn like this?” To which she replied “Probably that I married you for your money.”

An elderly man goes into his doctors office for an annual physical. After a while, the doctor comes out and says, “I’m sorry Bill, but we have discovered you have a condition which only allows you another 6 weeks to live.”
          “But Doctor,” Bill replied, “I feel great. I haven’t felt better in years. This just can’t be true. Isn’t there anything I can do?”
          After a moment the doctor said, “Well, you might start going down the street to that new health spa and take a mud bath every day.”
          Excitedly Bill asked, “And that will cure me?”
          “No,” replied the doctor, “but it will get you used to the dirt.”

and for the legal profession......

Q: What can a goose do, a duck can’t, and a lawyer should?
          A: Stick his bill up his ass.

Q: What do you call 5000 dead lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
          A: A good start!
          Q: How can you tell when a lawyer is lying?
          A: His lips are moving.
          Q: What’s the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead lawyer in the road?
          A: There are skid marks in front of the dog.
          Q: Why won’t sharks attack lawyers?
          A: Professional courtesy.
          Q: What do have when a lawyer is buried up to his neck in sand?
          A: Not enough sand.

A blonde goes into a library and cheerfully says, “Hi! I’m here to see the doctor!”
          In a stern, but hushed voice, the librarian says, “Miss, this is a library.”
          So the blonde lowers her voice and says, “Oh sorry!” Then whispers, “I’m here to see the doctor.”

After a long night of passion, the young guy rolled over, pulled out a cigarette from his jeans and searched for his lighter. Unable to find it, he asked the girl if she had one at hand.
          “There might be some matches in the top drawer,” she replied.
          He opened the drawer of the bedside table and found a box of matches sitting neatly on top of a framed picture of another man. Naturally, the guy began to worry.
          “Is this your husband?” he inquired nervously.
          “No, silly,” she replied, snuggling up to him.
          “Your boyfriend then?” he asked.
          “No, not at all,” she said, nibbling away at his ear.
          “Well, who is he then?” demanded the bewildered guy.
          Calmly, Tony replied, “That’s me before the operation.”

A man had a terrible passion for baked beans, but they always had a somewhat lively effect on him. After he met the woman of his dreams, he made the supreme sacrifice and gave them up; he couldn’t imagine subjecting his new wife to his beastly emissions.
          On his birthday, his car broke down, so he called his wife and told her he’d have to walk home. He walked past a cafe and the wonderful aroma of baked beans overwhelmed him. Since he was still a couple of miles from home, he figured he could indulge, and then walk off any ill effects. So he had three extra-large helpings of beans, and he “put-putted” all the way home.
          His wife met him at the door and seemed somewhat excited. She exclaimed, “Darling, I have the most wonderful surprise for you for dinner tonight!”
          She blindfolded him, and led him to his chair at the head of the table, making him promise not to peek. At this point, he was beginning to feel another one coming on. Just as she was about to remove the blindfold, the telephone rang and she went to answer it.
          While she was gone, he seized the opportunity. He shifted his weight to one leg and let go. It was not only loud, but ripe as a rotten egg. He gasped and felt for his napkin and fanned the air about him. He had just started to feel better, when another urge came on. This one sounded like a diesel engine revving, and smelled worse. He tried flapping his arms, to clear the air. But another one snuck out, and the windows rattled, the dishes on the table shook, and a minute later, the flowers on the table were dead.
          When he heard his wife ending her conversation, he neatly laid his napkin on his lap and folded his hands on top of it. He was the picture of innocence when she walked in.
          Apologizing for taking so long, she asked if he had peeked at the dinner. He assured her he had not, so she removed the blindfold and yelled, “Surprise!!!”
          To his shock and horror, there were twelve dinner guests seated around the table for his surprise birthday party.

How to annoy people in a lift/elevator

Act like a dog, growl at people.
          Announce in a demonic voice: “I must find a more suitable host body.”
          Apply dripping red paint around the edge of the roof hatch. When someone enters, look upwards and whisper "I think they want in..."
          Ask each passenger getting on if you can push the button for them. Press the wrong ones.
          Ask everyone what they made for their side dish.
          Ask someone to take your temperature, then turn around and bend over.
          Ask, “did you hear that cable snapping sound?”
          Attempt to hypnotize the other passengers.
          Bet the other passengers you can fit a quarter in your nose.
          Blow spit balls at the ceiling.
          Blow your nose and offer to show the contents of your Kleenex to other passengers.
          Blow your nose on your sleeve.
          Bring a camera, take pictures of everybody in the elevator.
          Bring a chair along.
          Bring easy math flash cards on the elevator and ask the person next to you to help you study them (get them wrong).
          Burp, and then say “mmmm...tasty!”
          Call out, “Group hug!” and enforce it.
          Call the psychic hotline from you cell phone, and ask if they know what floor you’re on.
          Carry a blanket and clutch it protectively.
          Challenge people to games of hide-and-seek.
          Clutch your stomach and gasp.
          Collapse on the floor when the elevator goes up, then get up and look embarrassed.
          Collect an elevator tax.
          Count down from 100,000 out loud. r />
          Crack open your briefcase or purse, and while peering inside ask: “Got enough air in there?”
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

Good morning Mick and all!
            Traveling alone tonight. Mick, I'm so grateful to be able to find you here. I need you all. Especially right now. I'm off to lurk. Back in a few.
            ~n
            :notes:
            we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

Mick - a brilliant post there (jokes were alright too i suppose :H).

Morning affers, blue sky and no snow here, a lovely day for a long meander but I gotta shift this lazy erse off into work... Hope you're all well. Back laters...

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

You all are my life line. I look forward to this thread every day. It's the first place I go in the morning. You start off my day in the right place. I check in. Better than any other plan for abstinence I could imagine. I'm sorry to have been away these last few days. I only hope I can give back the gift that I have been given here.
                :notes:
                we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

Morning all.

I suppose because I post all over it doesn't phase me to add another place. I would like to not talk booze and more the progress of living without it.

Mick you do a lot here and I appreciate it, as does everyone here.

I think a lot has been completely misunderstood.

KY

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

Bugger Kuya, you had me confused there with the "morning"

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

blondie;1446018 wrote: Bugger Kuya, you had me confused there with the "morning"
                      LOLOL Blondie.......you just posted two days ago ! :H:H......picked the right screen name then

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

no, but if you read it, I did it intentionally coz that's when I wrote it and...
                        oh never mind, I'll just dotter about posting when and wherever ! :-)

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

Good morning, Abbers.

I agree that somebody misinterpreted the "rules" of this thread and has caused a big misunderstanding. I have been posting here off and on for a long time, and came back at least a couple of times after slipping/relapsing. Some people were --for lack of a better word--"tough" on me, but I completely understand why. There has been a lot of support here and once you can finally say you are done with AL, you can feel a true part of the group. I am not saying with 100% certainty that I will not fall again, but that is my heartfelt intention. I have lived through a hell--caused by ME and AL, and nobody/nothing else. I also post on other threads and feel comfortable on each of them. Enough said.

This a.m. I will be going to get the Interlock installed on my car. Not proud of that, but it is part of my punishment or lesson, if you will, and will serve as a reminder of what can heppen as alcoholism progresses.

I hope you all have a great AF day.

TDN
                          "One day at a time."

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

TDN...best of luck with the interlock getting fitted youll be fine..as for the drinking...follow your heart...not the little voice that keeps appearing every now and then...you will be the champ this time
                            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Fri 18 Jan

Just noticed..a double 6 monther pretty much together Nurdl and Kuya

Comment

Working...
                              X