af day Wed 23 Jan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Wed 23 Jan

Morning all - this will be the shortest kick-off (as a Kiwi I better keep to a rugby theme rather than a baseball one as pitcher) in our forum. I see there is much of a serious nature to comment on and I need some time to read the posts properly. Don't like to be slap-dash.

I am great - very busy but also having down time for moi - not much in the sunshine - well just a bit when I can - and most certainly AF free. How the hell did I have time to drink so much before? Yeah, just added it to the to-do lists. Haha.
    Take care all!

af day Wed 23 Jan

I posted a longer message on yesterday's thread. Just to confuse you all!

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

Guys, HI! Sorry I popped in again and then disappeared again. I have not been drinking (yee ha!) but have been totally overwhelmed with work and being sick. Dunno if a cold or sinusitus or allergy stuff, which can feel like a bad cold, but I've been totally run down and overwhelmed.

Anyway, I don't want to keep apologising for not checking in, so I think I just have to accept that for the time being I'm likely to pop in more sporadically. But I'm here with you all in spirit and sending much love and strength to everyone. You all rock.

Will post more hopefully next week when more recovered.

Lilly xo

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

Hi TT and Lilly! Good to see ya girl.

Really tired tonight so quick check in.

Hope everyone's good. Be good.

KY

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

Hey KY buddy,

Hope you're doing well.

Here's a random link I just stumbled upon. Prolly not much most of us don't know already but a nice reminder anyway...

10 Reasons Why You Should Quit Drinking - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

I also just finished reading Caroline Knapp's 'Drinking, A Love Story' - HIGHLY recommend to anyone who hasn't read, a beautifully written recovery memoir.

And TDN, Drunkard just arrived so thanks again for that tip.

Hope everyone is well in the hood.

L x

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

Hi everyone hows things today?...was going to say hows tricks...but I reckon thats got a different meaning over the pond!!!!:H
            So off we go ...doing me driving bit again this morning so need to get a shift on...

Tea and coffee on the go

Morning tree..how are you..just like a corporation bus...no posts then 3 at once !!! oh yes and dont try and confuse us simple folk here....we all know Thursday comes after Monday!!! read your post (more than once)..seems like you have got a totally different focus on this than you had previously ..well done so positive

morning Cinders...how are you today? how is the DIY going?Sleep any better?I take it a cup o joe is coffee?
            Have a great af day

Mornin Kuya...go for your second option ...barmy!!! your plants must be well pleased with you..as for the age thingy..happens to us all...you can remember what clothes you wore on your first day ever in school and yet you cant remember what you did an hour previously......so NZ...look at the deal you got...a barmy expat who is trying to sink your island by flooding it !!!!!:H

Morning TDN ...hows you ..and dog?

morning YAH....forgot to turn the heating up?..yeh right ..sounds like a good money saving idea to me!!!!how are you? any plans today?

Morning SL..you ok today?Car fixed yet? they are a pain..and expensive ,but unfortunately we do need them!As for the divorce proceeedings..hope it all goes through hitch free..then you can close that chapter and write the next.Got your haggis and Baxters soup yet?..and Irn Bru? can you get that over there? have a great day

Good morning Lav...guests all gone ..? and peace reigns once more!!how are you? one coffee here for you.Yep there are a few missing, see Lills popped in, still a few more to come..any plans for today?whatever they are have a good one

Hi Cat.....read your post..and well what can you say? you are a strong lady with a lot of courage and determination..and I know that we all say that we use circumstances as an excuse to drink..but ffs..you say ONLY 4 months..I take my hat off to you in respect..lots more would have crumbled in lesser time I would imagine...as for finding a friend /partner whatever..someone will come along and take you for what you are irrespective of the circumstances :l...cant speak for anyone else..but for me this door will always be open to you

Morning Rabsy you ok? ..just my tuppence?? and you a teacher too ..Man do you not know we have gone decimal..Should read just my 1.3 pence worth!!Jings what are the weans going to think about teech.Watched a prog on telly last night..the Michael Portillo one about the train journeys..at present in Scotland doing the 1800s routes..been to Dundee Perth and finished in Aberdeen last night really interesting.
            Like you didnt see the point in sipping drinks..but there again was not really brought up in drink sipping family or environment..think from an early age the focus was on A to pished ..no stops on the way!!Then in a Scottish regiment for 12 years didnt exactly turn me teetotal either..especially in duty free Germany at one stage a double Scotch was probably around 10p!!

Good morning Kas...and how are you today? Enjoyed reading your post..think the big thing in there is commitment...stop playing, and the oh well lets see if it works if not I can always...you know the scenario.Mine was sort of similar in as much there was no pre-planning, no right this is it scenario..had my usual quota the day before,then all of sudden just decided that was it end of.I remember having the thoughts..people gave their skills time and experience to keep you alive and this is how you repay it you tosser now sort your act out..few more choice words then on we go..early days it was hard..well you can just have one, the angry scenario..why cant I drink, the kiddology and even the planning methodology..ok if I only drink 4 beers of not so strong lager, and only drink vodka couple of times, look at the health bonus as to what I had been drinking...utter crap but that is how your mind works.It just struck me reading your story, as to where out of nowhere the right this is it comes from..anyway I digress ..how are you? what are you up to nowadays?

Loved the rent free quote!!!

Hi Lill mmdu..how are you / nice to "see" you even nicer to know that you aint on the plonk :l You still got really hot weather? want to share it?

Right peeps off to let me rabbits play in the snow..take care and have a nice day

This memo is from an unnamed computer company. It went to all field engineers about a computer peripheral problem. The author of this memo was quite serious. The engineers rolled on the floor.
            “Mouse Balls”
            Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field Replacement Units).
            Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.
            Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced by the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge.
            Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse can be used immediately.
            It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction.
            Any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items.

A man and a woman were driving down the road arguing about his deplorable fidelity practices when suddenly, the woman reaches over and slices off the mans penis and angrily tosses it out the window of the car.
            Driving behind the car is a pickup truck with a man and his 10 year old daughter chatting away beside him. All of the sudden, the penis smacks the pickup in the windshield and flies off.
            Surprised, the daughter asks her daddy, “Daddy what in the heck was that ?!?”
            Not wanting to expose his 10 year old daughter to s*x at such a tender age, the father replies, “It was only a bug, honey.”
            The daughter gets a confused look on her face, and after a minute, she says. “Sure had a big d*ck.”

An Illinois man left the snowballed streets of Chicago for a vacation in Florida. His wife was on a business trip and was planning to meet him there the next day. When he reached his hotel, he decided to send his wife a quick e-mail.
            Unable to find the scrap of paper on which he had written her e-mail address, he did his best to type it in from memory. Unfortunately, he missed one letter, and his note was directed instead to an elderly preacher’s wife whose husband had passed away only the day before. When the grieving widow checked her e-mail, she took one look at the monitor, let out a piercing scream, and fell to the floor dead.
            At the sound, her family rushed into the room and saw this note on the screen:
            Dearest Wife,
            Just got checked in. Everything prepared for your arrival tomorrow.
            Your Loving Husband.
            P.S. Sure is hot down here.

Here is an actual list of aircraft problems reported by pilots at the end of the day for the mechanics to fix before takeoff the next day followed by the notes the mechanics left for the pilots to read the next morning.
            (P) Left inside main tire almost needs replacement
            (S) Almost replaced left inside main tire
            (P) Something loose in cockpit
            (S) Something tightened in cockpit
            (P) Evidence of leak on right main landing gear
            (S) Evidence removed
            (P) DME volume unbelievably loud
            (S) Volume set to more believable level
            (P) Number three engine missing
            (S) Engine found on right wing after brief search

Two truck drivers trying to drive under a bridge.
            Driver, “Oh no, the height of bridge is 2.7m and our truck is 3m.”
            2nd driver, “it’s ok, just go, there is no cops around.”

A woman and baby are in the doctors surgery, the doc is concerned about the babys weight, “Is he bottle fed or breast fed?
            The woman replies, “Breast fed.”
            The doc gets her to strip down to her waist so he can examine her breasts.
            He pinches her nipples and sucks and rubs both breasts for a while … “No wonder the baby is underweight, you have no milk.”
            Woman replies, “I know, Im his granny … but Im glad I came!”

Annoying people in an elevator...part 3

Wear a Santa suit...in June.
            Wear a ski mask and carry an axe.
            Wear complete SCUBA gear, then offer your buddy hose to the other passengers
            When the elevator doors close, bang on them, screaming let me out!
            When arriving at your floor, grunt and strain to yank the doors open, then act embarrassed when they open by themselves.
            When at least 8 people have boarded, moan from the back: “Oh, not now... motion sickness!”
            When the elevator doors close, announce to the others, “It’s okay, don’t panic, they’ll open again.”
            When the doors close pretend you arm got caught in it.
            When the doors open, pretend you did it with your mind.
            When the elevator is silent, look around and ask, "Is that your beeper?"
            When the elevator reaches another passenger’s floor, scream and collapse in front of the door.
            When there’s only one other person on the elevator, tap them on the shoulder and pretend it wasn’t you.
            While the doors are opening, hurriedly whisper, “hide it...quick!” then whistle innocently.
            Whistle the first seven notes of “It’s a Small World” incessantly.
            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

Good morning Kas...and how are you today? Enjoyed reading your post..think the big thing in there is commitment...stop playing, and the oh well lets see if it works if not I can always...you know the scenario.Mine was sort of similar in as much there was no pre-planning, no right this is it scenario..had my usual quota the day before,then all of sudden just decided that was it end of.I remember having the thoughts..people gave their skills time and experience to keep you alive and this is how you repay it you tosser now sort your act out..few more choice words then on we go..early days it was hard..well you can just have one, the angry scenario..why cant I drink, the kiddology and even the planning methodology..ok if I only drink 4 beers of not so strong lager, and only drink vodka couple of times, look at the health bonus as to what I had been drinking...utter crap but that is how your mind works.It just struck me reading your story, as to where out of nowhere the right this is it comes from..anyway I digress ..how are you? what are you up to nowadays?
              Mick, Great stuff. Reminds me of the mind games mine can play when I am not vigilant. Thanks!!

Yes, Joe is coffee. :-) Another one of my addictions, alas.

I am feeling so good this morning because I did get a full night's sleep. I am not taking the Seroquel every night, anymore. Last night, I woke up at about midnight and took two Benadryl. It was enough to knock me out until 5:00 this morning. I do know from the past that sleep gets better and better over time and becomes more and more restful and rejuvenating. I will be happy when I get there but not worry about it for now since I know it does get better eventually.

Redo is slow but steady. Since we are empty nesters, no big deal on how long we take.

Physically, I am doing better every day. Mentally, I am still very foggy and dis-tractable. That has lasted through all my quits, so I am looking upon it as a normal state for me. It could just be old age. lol

Thank you to everyone who responded yesterday. I was looking for what has worked for others just so I have some weapons in my arsenal as time goes by. I also like Kuya's answer about it being poison. Which it truly is. That is a good mantra for me from now on.

Off to pour the first cuppa and then to read and relax a bit before hubby gets up.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

Good Morning DAF'ers...

Thanks for the kickoff TT...sounds like we're all busy these days, me included. Read yesterdays thread as well and like you said I didn't want to be slap-dash and didn't post.

Morning Lilly...good to see you anytime you pop in. At one point for me trying to post everyday became a chore/obesession. Thought I had to help everyone feel better all the time...wonder where that thinking came from Thanks for the link, have it bookmarked and will read it later.

Shhh...KY's sleeping. See you later.

Morning Mick...thanks for the coffee. Seems everything is happening all at once at work. Last year I think I chaired 2 meetings, as of Jan 7th I've chaired 6 with more on the horizon. It really does help to stay busy but need to keep me first. Ex has reared his head again, but just ignoring him.

Morning Cinders...sorry I didn't respond yesterday but felt I needed to do some thinking on that one first. Will try later. Glad you're getting some sleep, that was a hard one for me to overcome. A good nights sleep really can make all the difference.

Hi Cat...sending positive :angel:"PPP":angel:.... Like Mick, the door is always open. I do know what you mean though. After the little "tiff" I wasn't sure what was acceptable to post and what wasn't. Ended up I just didn't post, got enough conflict going on in my life. So now have decided if something's going on and causing me to think "F" it, which then leads to thinking about my old standby AL to numb everything, I'll post it to let it go, so to speak. When I come across a post I don't like I just quit reading it. Each to their own.

Off to get my second cuppa and read Micks jokes. Have a great AF Wednesday all and all to come...PPQP

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

Morning all. Just checking in. I read the early posts before I get out of bed in the morning. With Micks jokes its a bit like reading the morning paper but without all the bad news. Busy day and then rehearsal again tonight. Last night we worked the stripper's number. Tonight I have three of the sweet characters in the show to go over their songs. It's so nice to be playing and making music everyday.
                  I hope everyone has a great AF day!
                  :notes:
                  we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

Good morning Abbers!

Sunny but with temps down in the single digits it's hard getting started

I need to get moving so I'm just going to wish everyone a happy AF Humpday & will check in later

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

haha that joke about the bug is something a kid would say in real life,they say the craziest things,anyways have a wonderful af wednesday
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

Mick;1448874 wrote: Here is an actual list of aircraft problems reported by pilots at the end of the day for the mechanics to fix before takeoff the next day followed by the notes the mechanics left for the pilots to read the next morning.
                        (P) Left inside main tire almost needs replacement
                        (S) Almost replaced left inside main tire
                        (P) Something loose in cockpit
                        (S) Something tightened in cockpit
                        (P) Evidence of leak on right main landing gear
                        (S) Evidence removed
                        (P) DME volume unbelievably loud
                        (S) Volume set to more believable level
                        (P) Number three engine missing
                        (S) Engine found on right wing after brief search
                        :H :H I happen to have my pilots license. Well had, didn't keep it up. Different time...different life but that brought back memories.

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

I went back and read the jokes. Enjoyed them very much, especially the pilots/mechanics one.

I wanted to share a joke of mine. Usually I do this in laughing out loud but because we have a couple of people going through some tough times, I figured to share here. Laughter truly can be the best medicine.

A man had a office Christmas party. His administrative assistant had a bit too much to drink so he drove her home.

The next evening, he and his wife were on their way to a party at a colleague's house when he noticed a red high heeled shoe lying on the floor in front of his wife's seat. He was very nervous she would find it and think the worst.

After distracting her at a stop light, he surreptitiously grabbed the shoe and casually dropped it out his window. He relaxed and felt much better.

When they arrived at the party, his wife started looking around and said, "I don't understand, I am quite sure I had both shoes on when we left!!"

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

:H :H Oh what our minds can read into things!

Have a good one Cinders...and :hallo: Nurdl

Comment

af day Wed 23 Jan

haha thats hilarious cinders!
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X