af day Friday 25 Jan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Friday 25 Jan

We are well into the morning here - so good morning to you all (if you are peeking a day ahead then beware of confusion! You ex- alkies should be used to that). I have been awake for a while - didn't sleep too well - it was full moon and this usually distracts me - no I am not a weerwolf but we did have a very noisy possum on the roof.

Hope you are riding through the weepy stuff and shit, Mick. Yes, our own problems and misery often seems zero compared to others but for each of us the pain, or the depression, etc etc - is real and matters. I tend to say 'well at least I am not so badly off as XYZ', I am not a starving kid somewhere, I do have a loving partner and child, great job, etc etc but that has not always helped my recovery. And I have done terrible things to my body for many decades. A body that started off with good health.
    I do feel much compassion for others' pain and have and do want to see some horrible things in the world eradicated or changed - but I also have to be realistic about what I can do - and have had to learn to stop beating myself up -esp with guilt. OK - have gotten off the track - and away from your shit Mick. But look after yourself mate! Otherwise I will send a possum over to stalk you. Since you are ex-army (???) maybe you need an army of possums.

Not humid here Kuya! My daughter still has a week before school starts. We were going over stationery needs yesterday. She starts NCEA this year (thats for NZ peeps only) so its important and I want to try to have a low-stress house.

I am not even going to begin to give advice about partners/men/relationships! I have a mini series there in my past.

How did the dinner/awards thing go Pourquoi? I bet you looked fab and felt fab without the AL.

Re PAWS and brains Cinders - I have a different take. Sorry if this upsets you. We are all different (even if all united by AL poisoning us) - and of course our recovery will depend on how much damage we have done to our bodies and also our social environment around us - plus our mind/mood. But don't believe all the stuff drs or counsellors tell you. Each one is different, the 'evidence' is highly contested and they often repeat the 'school' they have been trained in. I don't think there is a set time it takes for the brain to recover. I was really worried about that too - because my job and my own identity depends so much on being able to think clearly, logically but also being creative. It does take time sure - but its variable. For me (and this is just me) the absence of AL has made no negative difference to my ability to work, think and write. At first I missed the 'energy' AL gave me to do long periods of work at night but now I have recovered that energy with AL. Also I have heaps more time - heaps and heaps. Which I really love.
    Also - and this is not AL - when I was pregnant I was given all that shit about 'baby brain' and not being able to concentrate. I wrote one of my most challenging pieces when I was pregnant and then breast feeding a colicky baby. Maybe the absence of AL was a reason for my clarity then. I was very tired but I paced myself and my brain did not turn to fog.
    But as I said we are all different - brain fog is real I know, but please dont think its inevitable - or constant. I am sure you know this but just a wee reminder.

Sorry to others for the long post (maybe this should be on another thread? )
    and also for the lack of jokes. I blame the possums.

Lots of hugs and have a great day

af day Friday 25 Jan

I have only skimmed the boards....and I am not up to date on everyone.

I did mention "Unhooked"....I reached out to the author....and he made it clear that he only reccomends therapists in NYC. However, I lucked out.....his sister lives in the city that I do. Her and I meet on Sunday. She is a therapist, that ran many rehabs....and now has her own practice, that practices what he writes. Last night I was thrilled out of my mind.....now I am a bit scared. But I am going. Its not " a lets get know each other"....they both are very clear that they know they only have a short period to reach the addict.

Someone here mentioned that they are frustrated....as people seem to "get it" and after many rehabs and being here....still struggle. I get it. I have not been to rehab....but, I don't get it either!

But...I want you to know...that I have a good friend who....went to 11 rehabs....she is now sober and happy.

I watched my addiction "play" with me today....asshole!

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

Hi TT

Early(er) check in tonight as big day tomorrow

TT my daughter is year 10 and they do Cambridge at her school, which is easier for me as I did Cambridge in England........very little changes and I never got the hang of NCEA.
      Still bloody humid here but nice to be having a real summer this year.
      Another busy day which is awesome, bank account still empty but at least some bills were paid this week.

Mick...I hope you are coming out the other side now. It is exhausting roller coasting like that, particularly when it is medical rather than recovery per se.

Greetings to all to come, have a great AF day

KY

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

Happy Burns Day everybody....the grande finale of the haggis culling season!!!..no prizes for guessing whats for tea tonight....haggis tatties n neeps...no whisky...Irn Bru instead.
        So how is everyone today poets day today...except for our suvvern contingent..theyve blown half the weekend already....!
        Well te snow is starting to thaw...and guess what,,the weather warnings for this weekend is for flooding..Will be out on Sunday early doors ..its just a case of working out where

All ready for the weekend? ok lets go !!!

Tea coffee.....and green tea on the go...(yep I hear you Lav!)

Morning one discombobulated Cinders...how are you? Any plans for the weekend? Not away on a toilet flushing tour or nothing??:H
        Your post.....Now, however, I have decided I do want to live whatever time I have left on this earth without alcohol ruling my actions and my thoughts.
        Well done you..you even say it is going to be tough,... you can do it..just keep the thought in your head that you want to be in charge of your life..not a bottle.....we all wish you the best and will give you all the support we can.

Mornin Rabsy..happy Burns night to you..nae fallin down juice d ye hear?Did you get your lettter written to the irate complainant? I would also have rittin it in thi wurst lanwidge and speling possible..gie her summat to moan at!
        Yes that bit about the driving over the water does seem a tad ludicrous doesnt it? Rabsy..as a Jock look at the financial implications of drinking..it helps !!:H Seriously tho since I quit..reckon I have saved ..wrong phrase! well not spent on alcohol at least ?1300 and that is a pretty conservative (with a small c!!) estimate

Morning PPQP......and how are you today?Hope you made the best of the free lunch your boss treated you all to..now that you dont drink hope you exceeded the amount of desserts!!!!:H What was the mish you were on?Any plans for the weekend?

Morning Lav....now then..a quandary..coffee on green tea? decisions decisions!! well did the snow come down?If youre struggling you can have some of this!! Clear day today or are you baby sitting?

Mornin Kas..you ok?

Hi Catbuddy how you feeling today? Kas alluded to something in her post about writing things down..dont know how you feel about that, but for me it is a great idea.I keep a daily diary and just write anything in it.It is also good to reflect back over it and sometimes look at things and think hmmm so thats how I dealt with such and such.Mind you I write everything down got a list of lists that I have to write!!:H
        You also look at the detracting points tat are there for a potential suitor..not being cheeky here , but how can you possibly guess what someone will think when they meet you?All you are thinking is practically from your perspective...you know the male brain..it doesnt work like that.....Bang ..thats me closing the door on the last remark ..it aint open to any dodgy comments now!!!:H Enjoy what you can while you can.

morning treetops how are you this afternoon?yep coming through the other side of this crap now thanks..its just a pain thats all! Glad your liver is on the mend thats definitely positive keep going oh..forget the possums ..sounds too much like Edna Everage!!!

Mornin KY......last but by no means least!!! How are you mate? still got your tired spells?..Yes its slightly humid here too...my arse!!!Any plans for the weekend?Have a good one.

Hi Nurdl..you ok?:l

big shout to all the missing..quite a few of yiz!!
        take care have a great weekend

A 90 year old women goes to the doctor.
        Dr i can?t stop farting, sure they don?t smell and make no noise but still i can?t take it any more.
        Well take these pills every day and come back in a week.
        Dr what did you do to me not only am i still farting now they smell as well!
        Oh very well , now about your hearing?

A lady went to see a tarot reader woman who?ll predict her future:
        - Lady, I?m sorry to inform you that your husband will die in the near future.
        - Don?t tell me things that I already know, tell me if there would be an investigation!!

Man decides to buy a pet, but does not know what he wants as a pet, so he goes to the pet shop in search of a pet.
        He sees cats in a cage dogs on another cage spiders, rabbits, frogs, birds, fish in aquariums and finally he sees a very colorful parrot in the corner of the store and he goes to the area where the parrot was and salesman asks him,
        ?Are you interested in this parrot?? the man says, ?Does he talk?? the salesman says,
        ?If you pull his left leg he will say the our father and if you pull his right leg, he will say the hailmary!?
        The man says, ?What will the parrot say if I pull both legs at the same time??
        The parrot says, ?I?ll fall on my ass stupid!?

A panda walks into a bar, sits down and order a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun and shoots the waiter dead.
        As the panda stands up to go, the bartender shouts, ?Hey! Where are you going? You just shot my waiter and you didn?t pay for your sandwich!?
        The panda yells back at the bartender, ?Hey man, I?m a PANDA! Look it up!?
        The bartender opens his dictionary and sees the following definition for Panda: ?A tree dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats shoots and leaves.?

A sportsman, and father of 3 sons, was anxious to share his latest kill with his family for Sunday dinner. He didn?t want his sons to refuse tasting the delicious venison, so he sat the boys down to dinner without telling them what the meat was they were about to eat.
        ?Oh come on Dad,? said the oldest son. ?What is this meat??
        ?Just taste it,? said the father, ?You will love it.?
        The boys eyed each other nervously and put a piece of the meat on their forks.
        ?Give us a little hint.?, pleaded the second son.
        ?Only if you take a bite.?, said the father. As each boy took a cautious bite of the venison, the father continued, ?Let me think, your mother calls me this from time to time.?
        >The oldest boy shouted, ?Spit it out boys, it?s asshole!?

A husband and wife are eating soup. the wife spills soup all over her and says:
        ?Oh no, I look like a pig?
        ?yes and you also have soup all over you!?

A couple drove down a country road for several miles, not saying a word. An earlier discussion had led to an argument and neither of them wanted to concede their position. As they passed a barnyard of mules, goats and pigs, the husband asked sarcastically,
        ?Relatives of yours??
        ?Yep,? the wife replied, ?in-laws.?

The wife told me to talk to her like she was special the other day. So I said, ?gooooo ? annddd ? makkee ? meeee ? a ? cuuuppp ? offffff ? coofffeeeeeee ??

After she woke up, a woman told her husband, ?I just dreamed that you gave me a pearl necklace for Valentine?s day.
        What do you think it means??
        ?You?ll know tonight,? he said.
        That evening, the man came home with a package and gave it to his wife. Delighted, she opened it ? to find a book entitled,
        ?The meaning of dreams?

A farmer had 3 beautiful daughters who were getting ready to go out on dates.
        The first beau came to the door and said, ?I?m Eddie, I?m here to pick up Betty. We?re going for spaghetti, is she ready??
        No.
        The second beau came to the door and said, ?I?m Joe, I?m here to pick up Flo to take her to the show. Is she ready to go??
        No.
        The third beau came to the door and said to the farmer. ?Hello, my name is Chuck.?
        The farmer shot Chuck.

Every time someone asks you to do something or says something to you ask "Is that a threat?"
        Every time someone asks you to do something, ask them if they want fries with that.
        Every time someone asks you to do something, ask them to sign a waiver.
        Every time you see a particular coworker, shout, "So we meet again!" and laugh evilly.
        Explain "the little green men" in detail to someone, and when they don't believe you, accuse them of being one in disguise.
        Face the back when standing in an elevator.
        Fart in cramped places.
        Find out where your boss shops and buy exactly the same outfits. Always wear them one day after your boss does. (This is especially effective if your boss is the opposite gender.)
        Finish all your sentences with the words "in accordance with prophesy."
        Finish each sentence with "Monkey See, Monkey Do".
        Finish other people's crossword puzzles
        Finish the 99 bottles of beer song.
        Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their party because you're not in the mood.
        Flirt with a friend's spouse, lick your lips slowly, wink, etc.
        Follow a few paces behind someone, spraying everything they touch with a can of Lysol.
        For a relaxing break, get away from it all in the fish tank with a mask and snorkel.
        Force everyone to remove their shoes when they enter your office "to prevent contamination."
        Forget the pooper scooper.
        ?Forget? the punch line to a long joke, but assure the listener it was a "real hoot."
        Frantically change the date on people's computers back 50 years, and claim that you are trying to save humanity from the "Year 2000 Bug."
        Get to know a friends bookie and place bets for them. Insist on keeping half of any money they win.
        Give a play-by-play account of a person's every action in a nasal Howard Cosell voice.
        Give little kids clothes for their birthdays
        Go canoeing and sing the Hawaii Five-0 theme.
        Go to a gumball machine insert coins until you have a matching pair of fake eyeballs. After attaining these, record the theme song of The Twilight Zone over and over again. Drive down the street wearing the eyeballs and playing The Twilight Zone theme very loud. When you get pulled over, leap into the passenger's seat and claim, "He was here a minute ago, officer!"
        Go to a Metallica concert wearing a Michael Bolton T-Shirt.
        Go to a poetry recital and ask why each poem doesn't rhyme.
        Go to a shoe store and try on every shoe, then say that you aren't interested in buying shoes and leave.
        Go to McDonalds and ask for a BK Whopper.
        Go up the down escalator.
        Go up to a someone and say, "Are you annoyed by irrelevant questions?" And then walk away very quickly.
        Grin so wide it hurts your cheeks at every salesperson in town.
        Hang around national monuments all day, trying to get in other people's vacation photos. Afterwards, give them your address and ask them to send you a print when they get them developed.
        Hide dairy products in inaccessible places.
        Highlight irrelevant information in scientific papers and "cc:" them to your boss
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

Mick.....I have heard a different version of the panda joke......I suspect you have too:H

Glad you are feeling better

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

KY....politics my dear...politics !!!:H:H
            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

Happy Burns Day (esp' to Michael there)

This once roamed the highlands and the lowlands of Scotland... now a tasty dinner (excuse the salad leaves, not sure what they're about)

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

Hello, AFers,

We were supposed to have an "ice event" in Alabama and I woke to no ice and 37 degrees (F). My grandsons are going to be sorely disappointed because it means no school delay. :H

I am feeling pretty good this morning. Yesterday, I managed to transcribe an audio file and turn it in for evaluation. I am trying to get work-at-home work and transcribing is something I should be able to do as long as I learn the templates, etc, for the clients.

Mick, it is good you are feeling better. I hope it stays that way.

Kas, I loved your post yesterday. Perhaps I am over worried about my symptoms over the next few months, but I have gone through them before. This time, though, I am prepared AND working hard by eating right, taking the right supplements and drinking lots and lots of fluid. I agree with you there. Exercise is something I tend to ignore. I will journal my exercise and my thoughts. Good idea.

Cat, As I am telling myself when I get those irritating thoughts, "This too shall pass." Your situation will change if you work towards it but I agree with Kuya, any man worth his salt would not be put off by your situation.

TT, Y@H, Det, PPQ, and all others, have a great AF day. I look forward to seeing how everyone is doing today.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

RunningCourage;1450253 wrote: This once roamed the highlands and the lowlands of Scotland... now a tasty dinner (excuse the salad leaves, not sure what they're about)

I love haggis .....only got that disgusting tinned shite here!

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

Mick;1450242 wrote: KY....politics my dear...politics !!!:H:H
                    Politics indeed

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

TINNED HAGGIS?????..WTF is that!!!!!nah I will be sitting down with mine tonight freshly caught this morning in Glen Mckidyeon and shipped down..and so comes to a close another haggis hunting season

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

Morning DAF'ers

Mick;1450208 wrote: Morning PPQP......and how are you today?Hope you made the best of the free lunch your boss treated you all to..now that you dont drink hope you exceeded the amount of desserts!!!!:H What was the mish you were on?Any plans for the weekend?
                        Lunch was excellent. Boss said order whatever you want. So I did. Best Filet Mignon I've had in a long time. The "mish" was to find an outfit to wear...mission accomplished.

Other than my standard Saturday Dad visit and Sunday AA meeting I've got nothing planned. Feeling pretty energetic this morning hopefully that will spill into the weekend and I can get some physical activity in.

Early in to work today so have a great AF Friday all and all to come...PPQP

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

Good morning Abbers!

I thank God & heaven above that I have never seen let alone eaten haggis :H :H
                          That picture reminds me of something from Anatomy & Physiology class - no kidding :H

Greetings TT, Mick, Cindi, Kuya, RC & all to come today.
                          No kids on my schedule today so I am going to try to get my business tax info together for the accountant - boring. A little bit of snow is predicted to arrive later. Right now I need to get myself to Curves & the supermarket. Have a terrific AF Friday one & all

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

Lavande;1450317 wrote: I thank God & heaven above that I have never seen let alone eaten haggis :H :H

AMEN to that Lav

And for you Cat...

Comment

af day Friday 25 Jan

I've never had haggis. Looked it up on that great source of all information in the universe -- wikipedia. :H:H

However, it sounds like it would taste like sausage. Not sure I would enjoy having to cook it in the stomach of the critter, but what's the difference than chitterlings here, cooked in the intestines? None, really. (Stomach actually cleaner than what is in the intestines...)

I'll have to try it next time I have a chance, which will probably be never but you never know...

Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X