af Wed 6 Feb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Wed 6 Feb

Morning chickens and others who are keeping AL free. If I am OTT this a.m. blame it on the Vegemite and the recovery from Mick's jokes...

YahYah - 6 months is fabuluso!!! Inspiring indeed.
    haha Kuya - some of us have found the secret to keeping young at heart - not heaps of chocolate but having teenagers in our dotage. I work with young adults too - and while it is exhausting after all these years - it keeps me on my toes. I love to think of how they will make a difference and how us oldies - can be part of that. Yeah - value age and youth!!!! Plenty of room for drama there.

Speaking of drama - I was going to respond to Cinders yesterday - but reluctant because I am relatively new to this thread. I was worried about being shot down as a new Chick on the block. But since when have I been worried about voicing an opinion? I have lots and lots of experience of quitting - and have done so for substantial blocks of time in the past - before MWO came onto my screen. I am not going to deny that experience - and for me its been cumulative and valuable - despite very long periods of returning to the poison. I say 'for me' - because thats surely one of the driving things behind MWO. And like K. and many others - I have to see AL as poison to me and fellow alkies. I am not stopping others from consuming it in its myriad tantalising ways and I am not advocating prohibition. Not yet! (watch this space...) There goes one of NZ's big export industries....

We have lots of different opinions about all sorts of things, we come from vastly different backgrounds and philosophies- sometimes even the jokes will upset our values. But I see this as a support network, specifically a check-in thread - where we can be open to debate as well as tears and hugs.

So have a great day - all - hope you are OK - Scottish Lass. Don't work too hard with all the cleaning and painting YahYah. In our house I am the one who goes away sometimes for work and I wish I could come home to a super-clean house. There's only one way this can be done and it costs $$$ - well spent - but it only lasts a few hours before that 'lived in' style that never ever features in the glossy mags returns. Our place gives a whole new meaning to 'open plan' and 'open house'!!!

af Wed 6 Feb

Morning TT and abbers

Happy Waitangi Day

YaH - Fantastic on your 6 months:goodjob: (and the smoke free too?)

Am heading to an extra long naturopathic appointment today; getting thoroughly poked, prodded and grilled about my lifestyle. One thing that struck me as I filled out the questionnaire was I didn't have to give a second thought to any questions about alcohol/drinking. It's nil. I don't drink. I don't think I've ever been able to say that at any medical appointment. Quite a liberating feeling.

OK, heading back to Tuesday to see how everyone is...

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

Just a quick pop in. I have been trying to read back on the posts.....but they are hard to follow.

Crazy day at work.....my favorite yoga class (swear when I leave her class I feel like I have been held in arms of an angel).....home to a hubby who unleashed on me on how bad the kids were. Thank God for that yoga class!

There are a lot of opinions here. I know that emotions run high on some days. Sobriety is not easy.....or else everyone would be doing it.

I always think there is good advice here and food for thought. Can any of us really close the door? I am not sure....not after seeing people relapse after decades sober. I know that several times I closed the door.....did not even think about a drink for months......then to have it hit me right in the ass.

This is the most baffling thing to beat....and quite frankly.....we never have it totally beat. That is the sad truth that has always disheartened me.....I always thought....if I just reach this point....I am in the safe zone. There is no safety zone with this.

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

Sunflower...I used to think the same way as you...and quite frankly...it not only felt disheartening....it was downright depressing.

But as I begin to pull apart alcohol addiction and look at what science has to say about the mechanisms of addiction and the brain's ability to repair and rewire itself...I realized that many of the long-held paradigms about alcoholism (I.e. it's a lifelong battle...relapse is inevitable, etc) are not supported by the facts.

Lately, I have been listening to something called the Brain Science Podcast. The episodes are absolutely fascinating. What you said about your Yoga class reminded me of Episodes 33 and 44....one dealing with exercise and the brain...the other with meditation and the brain. After listening to these, you'll understand precisely why you feel so darn good and peaceful after yoga class.

So...Sun...yes....it is possible to really close the door. I have and I know others who have. In my mind, drinking is NEVER an option now. No more so than chugging a glass of bleach. You see....with the cultivation of new and healthy ways of thinking and living....and the new neural pathways that produces...it's not a matter of struggling to no longer drink. It's become a matter of not even wanting to drink. Millions of people live this way every day. And now, I am among them. And it feels good. The door isn't just closed. It's bolted. The key is thrown away. I don't live in fear about what is now behind me. I have peace of mind each and every day now - despite what life throws my way. Meditation and exercise have helped me shed the smothering grayness of lifelong depression. It really works.

Would I go back to being addicted and depressed if I drank again? Sure. I would also die pretty quickly if I stepped off a cliff. Neither are acceptable, viable, or likely options.

So...Sun....keep up that yoga....you're doing good things for your quest for contented sobriety with that class and there's science behind that. And be encouraged that living without addiction is possible with confidence and peace of mind.
        Sober for the Revolution!
        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

TT - I like your take on keeping the peace around here. Keeping the focus on support and respect is such a good idea.

Good luck with the doc, Blondie....I'm so tickled for you about the medical questionaire. It is such a great feeling to finally honestly answer one of those!

Now I must go google Waitangi Day! Sounds significant. I like learning these details about your cultures. After that I will go to bed to finish my Tuesday and awake to this thread again on my Wednesday! I really like Wednesdays. Especially Waltangi Wednesdays. Celebrated twice now across the planet.
          Sober for the Revolution!
          AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

Good morning all...and how are things today on the boozebustin bus?..is it woeful Wednesday ..or a wonderful one?
            You know one of the things about htis forum is the fact that everyone is looking and succeeding to beat the alcohol beast.Each and every one of us has our own separate variations on doing this..one size definitely doesnt fit all..but we can take little bits from each others strategies and piece them together until we find something that works for us, that said there is no harm in telling people how you are doing ,and how you are doing it...but please do not try and tell me that one way is better than the other because it simply aint true..This is an open forum, where people can have their say,but the emphasis is on open , so lets keep it that way.

Right tea and coffee on the go now ..whos for a brew?

Morning tree? and how are you today? recovered from the mirth making muppetry of the northern masses yet?Answered your question for you...your opinion is as valued as anyones on this forum...oh and what do you mean some jokes upset people? hope you werent referring to mine...I was under the impression all mine did!!!:H:H

Mornin blondey ..you ok?How did your day go yesterday? hope you enjoyed it.Got to agree with you ..there is a great deal of self satisfaction in saying nope I dont drink..you also notice that where you have to fill in questionairres on lifestyle etc, it seldom has a box to tick that says "dont drink" gives me the urge to scrawl that across it in Block letters!!!

hi SF ..and how are you?Yoga class ..in the arms of an angel..now thats an interesting simile!!
            As for closing the door ..yes I believe you can..I also think it has got to be a belief otherwise our mind set would be."well Im going to drink again ,so why should I bother stopping?"
            IMO, when we have stopped for a long period of time, we then slip back into kiddy mode..Remember when you were told not to do something..and you did it just to see? think there is a bit of that, plus wonder what its like mentality in there.Bottom line is you close the door..it is then down to choice..your choice whether you open it or not.There are plenty of people who have a lot of time in who dont...so yes you can beat it...close that door!!

Hiya Jacs..how are you ? nice to see you poppin in from Costa Del yi So your doc knew about it ..wonder how many more do tho? Anyway jump in for a brew any time

Mornin Kuya the mad..and how are you today?Did you get up early ok mate?listen to you..Ive done lots o telly before!!!!!Think I have been on it once ..could have been crimewatch!!:H:HSo what are you up to today?Can I still talk to you now that you are a star???

Morning Cinders ..how did your que sera day go yesterday?Think the point about yesterdays post has been highlighted and done to death so lets move it on..although there were ...in my opinion some very debatable points.....end of .It works for you and thats what matters.Any plans for today?or as it comes..whatever .. enjoy it

Morning Lav..and how are you today? one cuppa for you maam ..got to echo what you wrote yesterday and have done ..its a free open forum ..lets keep it that way! how did grand daughters visit go? was the place left in the same state as when the demolition team call?

Morning Catbuddy..just reading your post again..you sound very much at peace with yourself ..thats ace.Yep ..your challenge now is to get a piccy up on the site!!!Have a great day

Morning YAH...congrats to you on your 6 months...wow thats some combination your mother had an Irish redheaded Scot..methinks one fiesty lady!!Nah ..dont worry bout the trip thingy..as someone else said "Ill be back!!":H
            you have a great day ..

Morning SL....how are you? glad you are on the road again (sure there was a song somewhere with that in the title)Take things one step at a time...think you are trying to worry over so much you are getting to the stage the old grey cells are saying..hey this aint for me..again only my opinion...why dont you write it down in list form ? and look at it..I do that at times..there are about a million thing flying around in my head...(I can get a million in ,cos there is nowt else in it!!!), but when I write it down you look and think..there must be something I have missed because what you have written amounts to zilch!!give it a go and see

Right good people thats me..quite a few missing...Nurdl, Lills,Shue etc you all ok??

Oops nearly missed you Turn..just on while I was posting ..you ok? seem to be a lot of telly progs on at the moment about Alaska..from diving in the sea for gold up to logging timber in the mountains.have a great day

A woman enroled in nursing school is attending an anatomy class. The subject of the day is involuntary muscles. The instructor, hoping to perk up the students a bit, asks the woman if she knows what her asshole does when she has an orgasm.
            ?Sure!? she says, ?He?s at home taking care of the kids??

An old woman went to visit her daughter and she found her naked, waiting for her husband.
            The mother asks the daughter, ?What are you doing naked??
            The daughter responds, ?This is the dress of love.?
            When the mother returns home, she strips naked and waits for her husband.
            When her husband arrives, he asks her, ?What are you doing naked??
            She responds, ?This is the dress of love.?
            ?Well,? he says to her, ?go iron it.?

I was the best man at the wedding. If I?m the best man, why is she marrying him?

It?s amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day always just exactly fits the newspaper.

What is a date really, but a job interview that lasts all night? The only difference is that in not many job interviews is there a chance you?ll wind up naked.

You know you?re getting old when you get that one candle on the cake. It?s like, ?See if you can blow this out.?

Men want the same thing from their underwear that they want from women: a little bit of support, and a little bit of freedom.

Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them?s making a poop, the other one?s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge.

Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you?ve got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn?t your biggest problem.Maybe you should get rid of the body before you do the wash.

That?s the true spirit of Christmas; people being helped by people other than me

There?s very little advice in men?s magazines, because men don?t think there?s a lot they don?t know. Women do. Women want to learn. Men think, ?I know what I?m doing, just show me somebody naked.?

According to most studies, people?s number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Death is number two. Does that sound right? This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you?re better off in the casket than doing the eulogy.

Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

The Swiss have an interesting army. Five hundred years without a war. Pretty impressive. Also pretty lucky for them. Ever see that little Swiss Army knife they have to fight with? Not much of a weapon there. Corkscrews. Bottle openers. ?Come on, buddy, let?s go. You get past me, the guy in back of me, he?s got a spoon. Back off. I?ve got the toe clippers right here.?

Why do people give each other flowers? To celebrate various important occasions, they?re killing living creatures? Why restrict it to plants? ?Sweetheart, let?s make up. Have this deceased squirrel.?

Why do they call it a ?building?? It looks like they?re finished. Why isn?t it a ?built??

People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to

Seems to me the basic conflict between men and women, s*xually, is that men are like firemen. To men, s*x is an emergency, and no matter what we?re doing we can be ready in two minutes. Women, on the other hand, are like fire. They?re very exciting, but the conditions have to be exactly right for it to occur.

The big advantage of a book is it?s very easy to rewind. Close it and you?re right back at the beginning.

I have a friend who?s collecting unemployment insurance. This guy has never worked so hard in his life as he has to keep this thing going. He?s down there every week, waiting on the lines and getting interviewed and making up all these lies about looking for jobs. If they had any idea of the effort and energy that he is expending to avoid work, I?m sure they?d give him a raise.

To me, a lawyer is basically the person that knows the rules of the country. We?re all throwing the dice, playing the game, moving our pieces around the board, but if there is a problem the lawyer is the only person who has read the inside of the top of the box.

Men don?t care what?s on TV. They only care what else is on TV.

The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman?s point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That?s why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy. The tuxedo is a wedding safety device, created by women because they know that men are undependable. So in case the groom chickens out, everybody just takes one step over, and she marries the next guy.

My parents didn?t want to move to Florida, but they turned sixty, and that?s the law.

I will never understand why they cook on TV. I can?t smell it. Can?t eat it. Can?t taste it. The end of the show they hold it up to the camera, ?Well, here it is. You can?t have any. Thanks for watching. Goodbye.?

Somebody just gave me a shower radio. Thanks a lot. Do you really want music in the shower? I guess there?s no better place to dance than a slick surface next to a glass door.

See, the thing of it is, there?s a lot of ugly people out there walking around but they don?t know they?re ugly because nobody actually tells them.

What would the world be like if people said whatever they were thinking, all the time, whenever it came to them? How long would a blind date last? About 13 seconds, I think. ?Oh, sorry, your rear end is too big.? ?That?s ok, your breath stinks anyway. See you later.?

You know what I never get with the limo? The tinted windows. Is that so people don?t see you? Yeah, what a better way not to have people notice you than taking a thirty foot Cadillac with a TV antenna and a uniformed driver. How discreet. Nobody cares who?s in the limo. You see a limo go by, you know it?s either some rich jerk or fifty prom kids with $1.75 each.

You can measure distance by time. ?How far away is it?? ?Oh about 20 minutes.? But it doesn?t work the other way. ?When do you get off work?? ?Around 3 miles.?

Are there keys to a plane? Maybe that?s what those delays are sometimes, when you?re just sitting there at the gate. Maybe the pilot sits up there in the cockpit going, ?Oh, I don?t believe this. Dammit..I did it again.? They tell you it?s something mechanical because they don?t want to come on the P.A. system, ?Ladies and gentlemen, we?re going to be delayed here on the ground for a while. I uh..Oh, God this is so embarrassing?I, I left the keys to the plane in my apartment. They?re in this big ashtray by the front door. I?m sorry, I?ll run back and get them.?

I once had a leather jacket that got ruined in the rain. Why does moisture ruin leather? Aren?t cows outside a lot of the time? When it?s raining, do cows go up to the farmhouse, ?Let us in! We?re all wearing leather! Open the door! We?re going to ruin the whole outfit here!?
            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

OMG Mick.....there were some beauties there this morning, jokes I mean. Love the cow and leather observation.

One time I was dropping my son to school and was wearing a leather skirt. Another mother, the knit your own yoghurt type, came up to me and expressed disgust that I , a vet, would wear the skin of a poor dead animal. My wits were about me, and I said " well, they wear me out all day, so I wear them out all night !" She did actually pause then laughed...a lot!

TT ..... The ONLY thing we all share for sure is a problem with alcohol. The beauty of the forum though is realising the many ways there are to the same goal. I have made friends here but only a few, but I have a deep respect for all on this journey even if I would not want to be marooned on a desert island with them.

Blondie..... I LOVE ticking that box for 0 alcohol units per week. I allow myself to feel smug for a moment......cos I truly am very proud of myself. This was hard.

SF ..... You have made a massive breakthrough with the therapist and shutting that door will follow. Right now you are afraid but that will pass over the next few weeks. Peace awaits

Turn....good to see you here and there much more ATM. My door to alcohol is firmly shut and the key has been dropped down a very deep well. I can go fetch it but it would involve a descent so deep, dark and terrifying I have no fear of it happening.
              How' s the weight? I remember you saying you are reaching goals. I have 20-25 kg to lose, I will get there but I reckon it will take a year or more.

Oh yeah Mick.....the filming went well and was a breeze but getting up this morning made me want to cry......I do NOT do mornings :upset:

Yah....I repeat what I said on your six month thread ......thank you for your calm.

SL....back on track...good....ask for help when you need it. PM ALL OF US......ONE OF US WILL BE AROUND

Cantoo.....you little stop out, where you be at ? And you Det ..... No wound licking :l

Laters y'all ....have a great day

KY

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

Good morning Abbers!

Yeah Mick - we should all know what our assholes are doing :H:H
                Thanks for the coffee, I will consume a bit more before heading out into the frozen wasteland. Getting sick of this weather pattern, for sure

Greetings TT, blondie, SF, Turn & Kuya!
                I hope everyone has a terrific AF Hump Day!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

Good morning, very quick check in. I promised myself to come here with coffee (so Mick is not alone offering his wares). Off to work soon.

A friend helped me last night with strength and flexibility exercises for my shoulders and back- both have chronic issues from accidents and surgery aftermath. I'm sore but intrigued.

Honesty to doctors - it is finally amazing to be there.

See you later, and a strong AF free day to everyone.

Cat
                  "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

Hello everyone, I am so gald to be back to where I was, and relatively easily - just a bump in the road it appears and not a relapse.
                    Mick, yesterday you suggested that it not become and excuse, and as with everything else I have been thinking on this - I do not believe that I was looking for an excuse, nor will I use it as one. Way back when I started Lav and Byrd as nest mothers taught me to look for triggers so that I could prepare to face them and let me deal with it. I have found this to be sage advice, and so when I slipped, I really wanted to work out why. I was doing well and had felt that I might have made it, so wanted to know what had happened. I know that I feel relieved to have worked out what could have caused it - but no way am I going to use it as an excuse, hopefully to avoid repeating a mistake!
                    Happy hump day all - am taking Monday off for a three day weekend (I work every other weekend on call) and am really looking forward to it - may just head your way Cat and look at the ocean!
                    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

Scottish Lass...absolutely brill... glad to see you are back on the road...sound advice you were given..look out for the triggers and plan a strategy to deal with it write scream,curse, eat...absolutely anything that will numb the trigger..this time is the biggy for you..you can do it :l:l
                      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

Hi Everyone...sorry for being MIA I just can't seem to get out of this funk I'm in.

Feeling a little sorry for myself ATM and very lonely. Talk about a big Trigger, so decided to post just to get it out there.

I think it has to do with the ongoing lawyer crap, things not going too good there.

Sorry I haven't been more supportive on the thread, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

Hi there
                          taking a few minutes out from work.
                          Hang on in there PPQP - sounds like you are having a crappy day.

OK - confession - I had to Google 'Hump Day'. Its not a term I had come across before and its had me a bit worried....
                          hope that brought a smile or two

Back to work now

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

Hi Molly...thanks for the hugs.

I think the reason for the post was to ask for help and help I got.

Got a couple of PM's and that made me feel better.

One suggestion was to start posting again and I think that's a great idea...so you'll be seeing me in the army again.

The easy option is not an option...4 days to 6 months and that is the most important thing at the moment.

TT...I'm hanging in and gotta say that really did put a smile on my face.

Will be checking in tomorrow morning...thanks for the support!

Comment

af Wed 6 Feb

:hallo: Hallo Affers -

Just a quicky to say hi and good to see you PPQP, as Molls says, always good to see you hopping into the Barracks.

Not too much report from Rabsy's world, work's ticking along a bit bleh bleh... but next week I have off... so I'll be... um... not in work No plans. Maybe read summit. Like a book. Any suggestions? I have read all the Mr Men books so please don't suggest them.

Comment

Working...
                              X