Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onward October - Week 3

Happy Hump Day, Friends!

I arrived safely home from St. Louis last night....an easy peasy 6-hr drive, but drove through pouring rain through most of it. I figured out why I was so ill on Monday. I had sunstroke. I always feel it the day after I've been in the sun without sunscreen. Sunday, I drove the 5 hrs. to meet Laura....in the sun, and we were outside most of the time, and it was in the mid-70s and I just never thought the sun's rays were that strong, but I am SO faired skin that it really does affect me. Should have known better. Oh well. It was a fast recovery...not like those killer hangovers I used to get. Ah, so glad that's in the past.

Lav- Viral meningitis....geez....I hope she gets better soon! I do feel lucky, then. I will drink lots of fluids today...it's good practice, I think. I always feel healthier when I drink a lot of fluids. Lav, if you got to collect points for last-minute, marathon babysitting, you could just go about anywhere in the world for free.. We got your rain here, I'm afraid, and it got down to 29 degrees last night. No wonder my flowers are dead.:H

Dill-I bet your pie turned out to be absolutely splendid. I hope you have a peaceful day in retirement.

To everyone I've missed....Star, Cyn, Pap, Witts.....have a great AF Wednesday!

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

Star-sorry, cross post. Yes, you are right. No more talk about the weather.

Yes, Lav, planning a gluten and dairy free Thanksgiving has got to be tough on the chef, but I know if anyone can pull it off, it's you!

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

7:35 am, I'm here but the boys aren't up yet. Although I think I hear a little voice singing upstairs

Had to dig out the sweaters & jacket.......won't talk about the weather anymore!
        I have already found & tried out a dairy & gluten free green bean casserole that I will use for my holiday dinners. I tried it out on YB, he really liked it :H

OK, now they're up, oh boy - here I go :H
        Have a great AF Hump day one & all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

Good morning Threadsters,

Dark, wet and cold it is!

My pie turned out great yesterday and was a big hit. I had to wait to bake it until gson got home from school. He wanted to be a part of the process from start to finish. I didn't make my crust tho, just bought a pillsbury pre made crust.

Star, a hot cuppa at work will definitely warm you. I might join you in a cup this afternoon. Right now I'm still drinking coffee.

Lav, I hope you find some good gluten free recipes for the holidays. So many people are choosing to eat that way that there are always more and more products and recipes becoming available.

Rusty, I hope you are feeling better!

I need to make a confession. I drank yesterday and boy do I regret it. You know how they say that once you drink you go back to your old levels and worse immediately? Well, that is true, I'm sad to say. Back to square one for me.:upset:
          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

Dill-:l I feel so badly for you. Thank you for having the courage to tell us. That must have been soooo hard for you.

Quote:
            You know how they say that once you drink you go back to your old levels and worse immediately? Well, that is true, I'm sad to say.
            I never used to believe that was true until my aunt, who has been sober for 5 + years told me she learned that in rehab, and it is one of the main reasons she's stayed sober. Dill, you have validated what she learned in rehab, and it is a really good reminder for all of us. You have my utmost respect and admiration for having the honesty to help others with your story. I shudder when I think that I used to pooh-pooh what long-term abstainers like Doggygirl said about how hard it was to re-start her AF journey after she had a months-long relapse. I really get the concept of how much easier it is to stay stopped then to start all over again. The constant starting-over gets to be exhausting and emotionally draining.

Hope you feel better soon, dear friend. I need you and want you here with us.
            :h

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

What happened Dill?
              Was it a stress trigger? What will you do the next time to handle things differently?
              I'm sorry & hope you feel better real soon. We absolutely do need you around here :l

Back at my house with the boys for the rest of the afternoon & until sometime after dinner. Hope their Mama is not too late getting here - I am tired already.
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

Good morning to you...

Dill, thanks for sharing what happened, it really sucks doesn't it? For some reason, having one or two drinks just doesn't happen for some people, and we are some people. I have a friend who just has one, maybe two (what?) drinks. That is all she wants or needs. Not me. One glass of wine turns into an entire bottle, or more. That allergy that my Dad told me about is there. One drink sets you up to have more. Please feel free to discuss what happened if you are comfortable. No judgment here. I want and need you to stay on this thread too. So, let us know where you are at. We are all in the same situation, it can be so hard at times. It really helps so many when struggles are shared, and it takes tremendous courage. I was thinking that so many times we suffer in isolation, not having had a big incident, just quietly drunk, passing out or falling asleep and waking up in terror, guilt, shame, feeling sick, wondering what the heck happened. We are here for you, so post away.

Lav, you are such a sweet grandma to watch your grandkids so often and on such short notice. I would too if I could. Big news, my daughter is pregnant, just a few weeks. We have a long way to go, but right now enjoying the ride and the hope. Asking for prayers and positive energy to be sent her way.

Rusty, wow, how sensitive you are to the sun. I am sensitive to food and drink, more so as I get older. Really sucks. I was feeling down yesterday and had some Cheetos. Big mistake girl. No junk food for me, at least very often. Hope you feel better. I loved your saying that it was just a six hour drive. ha. I am a baby, that would exhaust me.

Have a good Thursday everyone.
                Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

Good morning all,

I am off to the funeral for my 89 year old aunt, she had a long life, bless her!

I will check in later. Have a great AF day everyone!
                  Congrats to your daughter Star, how nice

Are you OK Dill?
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

Hello Threadsters, thanks for all the positive comments and words of support. They are much needed and appreciated.

Lav, I think truly that my issues are stress and need for escape. It's one thing to have gkids over and to baby sit during the day and some overnights. It's quite another to have a family living with. I'm sure you can understand. Also, to date, we have had at least one night off per weekend for each child as the child gets to spend a night with their mother. She is still only allowed to see them under supervision and her gmother has kindly provided that. But this week, the older woman informed me that she cannot have the 2 year old over night anymore because DIL was uncooperative and took the baby and spent the night elsewhere at a girlfriends. She would not even tell the Gma where she was!!! Not good. So now the one blessed night of freedom is no more.

I know, no reason to drink.

There are so many stresses in my life right now, I am really struggling.

Rusty, starting over is definitely hard, but the alternative is worse. It is amazing how strong the desire is after that first drink.

Star, thanks for the PM. I appreciated it very much.

Getting back on board.
                    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

Aw Dill, I kind of thought it was stress related. I can only imagine what you are dealing with right now. I love the kids but I am also grateful when they go home.
                      I had a real hard time with my youngest grandson yesterday. He finally fell asleep on the sofa about 30 minutes before dinner - missed eating but the peace & quiet was precious.
                      Is there anyway you & your son could work in at least a part time nanny? I know it's costly but if it saves your sanity....
                      I'm thinking of you

Attended my aunt's funeral this morning. I was surprised but appreciative that YB offered to go along. My Mom has one remaining sister & when she goes - that's it for my connection to her family. I have dozens of cousins but never see any of them.

My daughter & granddaughter are here now, I'm glad.

Hope everyone has a good AF Thursday!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

Good morning...

Dill, the pressure you are under is huge, it would be really hard to have them living with you. I struggle with an adult son at home, but at least he is gone most of the time and needs no care. Kids are wonderful but we already raised ours and the noise level alone is LOUD. I have no solutions for you, just know I support you and know you are doing the right thing. Sorry to hear you dil blew her visitation time by sneaking around. She is not getting it, is she? Likes Lav's idea of a nanny, or even a babysitter, but if you son has not found employment, the expense would be difficult. We are here for you.

Lav, how kind of YB to go to the funeral with you. He seems to be showing up more often, which is nice, I think. I don't keep in touch with my cousins either. I recently emailed one and she made it clear she is very busy. I have given up trying to be the family hero, getting everyone together, making all the effort. Not angry, just tired. Early days for my daughter, but thanks for the kind wishes. I am excited, and want to be an AF grandma, for sure.

Up way too early today, so just going with the flow, enjoying my coffee and planning my day off. I am going to a conference in the city I grew up in, so will visit my mom's grave. Thinking a lot about her and missing her. AF it is a healthy grief, allowing the feelings to be there and just getting through them. Sometimes life hurts. Then, things get better. So, there you go.
                        Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

Good morning friends!

Yep, there's a light frost on the pumpkin here this morning but it's sunny now

Star, I sat in the church yesterday at my aunt's funeral & all I could think about was my Mom. They were sisters & pretty close. Both were WW II era nurses. The surviving sister is quite younger so I hope she has more time with her family.
                          I know that you will make an awesome AF Grandma

Dill, hope you are OK today.
                          Your daughter-in-law doesn't seem to understand that she is risking losing her visitation rights. That is a real shame but it is her choice. She sounds very immature, maybe I'm being too harsh. Please remember that we are here to support you :l

I'm heading out to Curves in a minute then busying myself with the endless chores & some work waiting for me.
                          Hello to Rusty, papmom, cyn, & anyone else stopping by today.
                          Have a great AF Friday.

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Onward October - Week 3

Hi Everyone,

Just popping in. It's a superb autumn day here and I took a long walk with my friend along the lake path, and then did some shopping in town and bought a lovely table for my living room. The Fall colors are at their peak here. It's so nice to have a friend to enjoy perfect days like this.

Dill-I am so sorry that you DIL's actions have caused such tumult in your life....especially since this situation leaves you with no down time. I hope you can find someone part-time to help out with babysitting, or arrange weekly "date" nights with Mr. D. I am in your corner.:l

Star-I hope the conference was interesting, and you are not too sad after visiting your mother's grave.:l Too bad your cousin was just "too busy" to hook up with you. My mom has had to play "the family hero" all the time. It's a drag. I have 24 first cousins but I only like 19 of them. If it weren't for my mom, I wouldn't see my cousins. She is definitely the glue that keeps our family and extended family...together.

Lav-I'm shocked YB would go to your aunt's funeral with you but I am happy he stepped up to the plate. So sorry for your loss. I know how close you were with your mom and I'm sure it was a sad day for you yesterday.

I have some work to do so I hope everyone is having a calm Friday.

Comment

Working...
                            X